Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this question has been asked about a MILLION times here, but I feel like there’s very mixed opinions and I’m just not sure haha. So my betta seems to be pretty chill other than flaring at his heater every once in a while and nipping his fins. I’ve started feeding him frozen food and he loves it, it’s just that he loses some particles every time and I worry about that causing issues with his water quality if it gets buried in his gravel. I’ve thought about getting a snail that would eat that up and that I could supplement with algae wafers or something, and that does not breed lol. I’m not sure. I’ll attach a picture of his tank below. I’ll take any and all ideas/advice! Or if you don’t think a tank mate will work with him, tell me that too haha.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,499 Posts
The only tank mates suitable for a 5.5 are Mystery or other sort of snail. Or, if crammed with plants and the tank is at least two months past finishing its cycle, shrimp.

No fish unless one gets exotic and has Nano fish that require live food like Dario Dario as they don't shoal.

Betta don't need tank mates; they're for us. I say this as the owner two two 20 community tanks so I'm not anti-tank mates. Just in tanks too small for them.

In your case, if your boy stops biting I'd leave him be content and not push it.

Just a suggestion, but I'd add some waterline cover for him. The tank is still too open; especially as he has to place to go to get away from the light except the log. Dwarf Water Lettuce, Amazon Frogbit, Giant Duckweed (not the small version) would work. I have several eBay sources I trust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only tank mates suitable for a 5.5 are Mystery or other sort of snail. Or, if crammed with plants and the tank is at least two months past finishing its cycle, shrimp.

No fish unless one gets exotic and has Nano fish that require live food like Dario Dario as they don't shoal.

Betta don't need tank mates; they're for us. I say this as the owner two two 20 community tanks so I'm not anti-tank mates. Just in tanks too small for them.

In your case, if your boy stops biting I'd leave him be content and not push it.

Just a suggestion, but I'd add some waterline cover for him. The tank is still too open; especially as he has to place to go to get away from the light except the log. Dwarf Water Lettuce, Amazon Frogbit, Giant Duckweed (not the small version) would work. I have several eBay sources I trust.
Okay sounds good, thank you so much, I think I will just leave him be :) Would you mind linking those eBay sources? I’d love to get him some of those plants. You don’t think the little particles of frozen food that he misses will hurt anything?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,499 Posts
You can use a turkey baster to remove any missed food. You can also get an Assassin Snail. They are carnivores and great at cleaning up missed frozen food.

Some of his plants are for saltwater tanks so pay attention. :) Items for sale by creationcultivated | eBay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay sounds good, thank you so much, I think I will just leave him be :) Would you mind linking those eBay sources? I’d love to get him some of those plants. You don’t think the little particles of frozen food that he misses will hurt anything?
Honestly I have a betta in a 7 gallon with 2 mystery snails and they poop more than they clean! So in one form or another you’re going to be vacuuming out that fallen food lol! However if you get an active mystery snails they are very cool to watch, just make sure you have enough Calcium in the tank for its shell! Also I think the wafers make a bit of a mess, so my guys live on the naturally occurring algae, fallen food and a cucumber slice or spinach leaves every week! Fresh veggies are cheep and effective!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I have a betta in a 7 gallon with 2 mystery snails and they poop more than they clean! So in one form or another you’re going to be vacuuming out that fallen food lol! However if you get an active mystery snails they are very cool to watch, just make sure you have enough Calcium in the tank for its shell! Also I think the wafers make a bit of a mess, so my guys live on the naturally occurring algae, fallen food and a cucumber slice or spinach leaves every week! Fresh veggies are cheep and effective!!!
Thank you so much!!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,499 Posts
As an aside....

I use feed Snail Cookies

They have calcium and all the other stuff snails need. I belong to two Mystery Snail groups and it's the most recommended. In my case the plus is the Betta won't touch them.

Even though I love my Mysteries, with the frozen food issue I'd recommend an Assassin Snail. The have a plus in that they will eat any snails that come in on plants.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an aside....

I use feed Snail Cookies

They have calcium and all the other stuff snails need. I belong to two Mystery Snail groups and it's the most recommended. In my case the plus is the Betta won't touch them.

Even though I love my Mysteries, with the frozen food issue I'd recommend an Assassin Snail. The have a plus in that they will eat any snails that come in on plants.
I will look into some Assassins then! Would getting just one be okay? Do they eat live plants or cause any other significant issues?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As an aside....

I use feed Snail Cookies

Oh also don’t they need sandy substrate? I have gravel :/

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,499 Posts
Assassin Snails are easy peasy. They can live on any substrate, don't heavily reproduce and then only one baby at a time. One is plenty. As carnivores they don't bother plants although I am told they will munch on dead material that falls to the substrate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Assassin Snails are easy peasy. They can live on any substrate, don't heavily reproduce and then only one baby at a time. One is plenty. As carnivores they don't bother plants although I am told they will munch on dead material that falls to the substrate.
Awesome, love that!!! Thank you again! I will be looking into them :) I do have
Awesome, love that!! I will be looking into these lil snails. So I do have an opening at the back top of the tank for the filter and heater cord, do they like to escape? 😬 This is a picture of the same tank, not mine, I’m not near my tank right now, but you can kinda see the opening in the lid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is a better picture of the gap!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts