Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, starting next month I will be adopting a betta fish to live in a 5gallon tank, and I am looking for recommendations for tank mates. I would like to keep a dwarf frog or two, but I have gotten conflicting info on their tank recommendations and I want the little guys to be happy. If I'm not able to keep a dwarf frog, could you tell me what else would do well in a 5 gallon betta tank? The tank will be heated with gravel and silk plants if that helps at all (I know nothing about caring for plants).

·
Registered
343 Posts
You could look into snails! I'd suggest a nerite snail. Since you won't have live plants, I'm not sure how much algae you'd get in your tank but you can buy algae wafers to feed them or set out a dish of rocks with water in a windowsill to grow algae and switch those out placing them in the tank to feed them.

I've never owned ADF's and am not really informed on their care so someone else will have to chime in on that for you.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
A five gallon is really too small for any tank mates except snails. I would suggest a Mystery Snail. They are colorful and interesting to watch. In addition, they will clean up any excess food. The downside for any snail is the amount of poo they produce. You have to really keep up with water changes when you have them.

However, Betta do not need tank mates and do great if alone in a five gallon. If you want ADF or other fish you need a 10 gallon tank or one with a minimum 20" x 10" footprint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A five gallon is really too small for any tank mates except snails. I would suggest a Mystery Snail. They are colorful and interesting to watch. In addition, they will clean up any excess food. The downside for any snail is the amount of poo they produce. You have to really keep up with water changes when you have them.

However, Betta do not need tank mates and do great if alone in a five gallon. If you want ADF or other fish you need a 10 gallon tank or one with a minimum 20" x 10" footprint.
Aww, that is too bad. I was really looking forward to have some froggies. At least I still can have my betta.
Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a few female guppies for my Betta. It was risky, it always depends a little on the personality, but I choose grey/black/blue coloured ones, not the brightest colours and they were best friends from the first second.
No matter what you decide. Better make sure you have a plan B. A second tank for example. I wouldn't want my Betta to kill my other fish. I would safe them on time... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts