Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to freshwater fish keeping, I've had my male veiltail for almost a week now. I've been doing A LOT of research on betta fish and my little beta, Rodrigo, seems to be doing very well.
However, I picked up a new ornament for my tank today (http://www.petco.com/product/122169/Blue-Ribbon-Resting-Buddha-Statue-Aquarium-Ornament.aspx) and I realized I don't know much about preparing tank ornaments other than making sure they don't smell like plastic and rinsing them in warm water before putting them in the tank. Am I missing anything? Do I need to treat the ornaments before they go in the tank?

My other question is about tank hoods. Rod has basically everything a little fish needs: 10 gallon tank, heater, filter, silk plants, a stalk of bamboo, a hammock, and he may or may not have 2 ghost shrimp tank mates, I haven't seen them in days so he may have had a little snack when I was out. The only thing I don't have is a hood for the tank. I'm a college student that works part time and I've already spent sooo much money on this fish so funds are a bit tight and unfortunately a hood has been put on the back burner until at least mid- May. In the meantime, is there anything I could use as a temporary hood alternative just in case Rod decides to jump?
Here's a pic of my current setup but I'm not done yet!

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
I give anything thats going to be put in the tank a thorough soaking. Normally for at least a few days. I rinse and soak it in hot water during that time as well.

I used plastic cling wrap for my 2.5g as a top. It was cheap and it was nice that I only had to pull up one side feed the fish and it was easy to roll up and and not drip condensation all over when I had to clean the tank. ...compared to the clear plastic top that came with my 5g and just goes over the and drips all over whenever I have to take it off. :\

..that sliding glass hood is really awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll!
I had considered the saran wrap as a hood but I wasn't sure if that would be considered inhumane

·
Registered
280 Posts
So sorry, had to respond, made me think of an old Buick by the post title (tank, hood, ornament):p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts