Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I think this is the right place to post this, I want to solve the problem before it's a big problem.)

Today I woke up to find my three ghost shrimp dead. I placed them in the tank to act as a canary if anything should go wrong with the tank :-( I want to protect my betta the best I can, he has such a personality and I adore him. No signs of him being distressed yet however.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? Constant 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Waterfall filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two african dwarf frogs
Planted: Yes

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraMin, TetraColor, Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, one fasting day a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly on Sunday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
pH: 7.4-7.6
Hardness: N/A (tap water is soft)
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
All three ghost shrimp died suddenly and without warning. The shrimp were healthy and showed no signs of illness. They were just sitting on the bottom of the tank and were a solid, opaque white.

Is there anything I'm forgetting to add or share? I don't want to do anything to the tank without asking for help first. Last thing I want to do is make it worse and potentially really hurt my betta :c

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you have your frogs and your betta with the ghost shrimp at the same time?

It's common for bettas to see the shrimp as snacks instead of friends or to sometimes just attack them.
Yeah, I've had them in the tank for about 3 weeks now with no problems between the frogs, betta, and shrimp. The shrimp were fully intact when I found them on the bottom. I've never seen my betta attack either the frogs or the shrimp during this time either.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Were the shrimp rather large? While unlikely it is possible you had purchased older ones. Another point to consider is that shrimp are far more sensitive to water chemistry than bettas.

Sorry if I'm not much help. Oh! Did the shrimp have anything to eat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were the shrimp rather large? While unlikely it is possible you had purchased older ones. Another point to consider is that shrimp are far more sensitive to water chemistry than bettas.

Sorry if I'm not much help. Oh! Did the shrimp have anything to eat?
Some of the shrimp were large, but what concerns me is the death all at the same time. Maybe there is a water parameter that I'm missing :S I know when I did the water change that the water temperature was within a degree of the tank water, but could of it just been shock?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't think a one degree difference would cause them to go into shock. My best guess (and I do mean guess, I've only had mine for a few months!) is that there might have been something in the water chemistry. That or perhaps they were all sick to begin with.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My best guess.... shock/stress
I noticed with mine, the were stressed easily (transporting them was a pain... and when I started cleaning the apartment and moving everything around they stressed out, when I did a major water change they stressed out... and died...)
they honeslty remind my of rabbits sometimes.... they get easily stressed, and sometimes, just the smallest thing, pushes them over

This is just a guess though, I have since been more careful with them and had better sucess....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure hope it's stress related for the shrimp. Corundum (my betta) seems to being doing very well otherwise. He keeps flaring at my frogs though but otherwise nothing different.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts