Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so years ago I was one of the fools the store tricked into buying a 4 gallon divided into 5 compartments for bettas. I hadn't used it since getting my larer tanks but due to some problems I need to use it once more.

I plan on getting a new tanks! But its outside my budget so I was wondering if there was a way to get the sealant out so I can remove the glass dividers?? They're just stuck in with some aquarium sealant but of course all the methods I can kind to remove it uses dangerous chemicals and I need the tank to be usable until I can afford more individual tanks.

I wouldn't be removing all the dividers so don't panic. Just one in each bay so the 2 bettas in there would have twice the amount of space and one would remain current size but full of filters. I just need help removing the sealant.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
have you thought about pouring boiling water on the sealant and then just trying to peel it away. You can actually use chemicals just have to make sure you really rinse it out well before filling and using it.

When I recently dug out a old aquarium to use I actually used bathroom cleaner on it to remove some of the old water marks, made sure I rinsed it well, I actually kept smelling it in-between rinsing for bathroom product, once that smell had gone, I filled it and moved my boy into it the same day no problems. My other tank had packed up I needed to move him ASAP.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
You can remove old aquarium sealant with a razor blade scraper. It will get most of it off. You can also use a hair dryer to soften the silicone before scraping. Regular rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth will get the residue off. I've just finished removing a siliconed-on rock wall background from my 54 gallon tank, and that's what I used. It's clean as a whistle now.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Hot water and a box opener later my betta looks much happier in his new tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts