Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all currently have my tank decorated with silk plants but i want to transfer to real plants.
but as a starter im at a loss, what plants do people recommend and how do you care for them. if anybody has any ideas for layout id love to see them.
image attached just so u can see what iv got at moment

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dove into live freshwater plants for the first time about a year ago and I'll never go back to fake plants! I honestly think they're way less maintenance than scrubbing the fake ones with a toothbrush several times a year.

What you can grow or keep depends on your light mostly. If you just have a basic florescent or LED light, your options are limited to mosses, java fern, and/or anubias basically. I would still also add liquid fertilizers/supplements into the water column to help them thrive too. If you buy a medium/high light specifically for growing plants your options are far greater but you'll need plant-specific substrate as well. Overall, their beauty is far worth it to me and all my tanks have crystal clear water because of them as well. Happiest fish I've ever kept!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would definitely recommend anubias. They come in a variety of sizes and leaf shapes and they're super hard to kill, even for someone who's as terrible at gardening as I am. Mine did well without fertilizers until I added so many plants that there weren't enough nutrients to keep them all happy, so now I dose weekly with Nilocg Thrive (all in one liquid fert) and they're doing great again.
They can get expensive if you buy them in stores, but I like that the ones they sell in plastic tubes at pet stores don't have any snails or algae. I've also had success getting them from local sellers and online from other aquarium owners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts