Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!! :-D

Me and my partner are looking to get a male betta early next year, and we're really excited to welcome the little guy into our lives!!! I'm doing research at the moment, and I'm looking at a number of tanks.

I have a query over the shape of the tank. From what I gather, a rectangular shape as opposed to a taller/cube shape seems to be better for them, so they can get to the surface easier, and have plenty of swim-around space lengthwise? Is this true...?

The reason I ask is because I am finding it a little hard to locate a tank that is this shape (so many seem to be cube-shaped "nano" tanks?) and fits in our space requirements (cannot be bigger than 14 x 22 inches - height not an issue), AND fits our budgetary requirements, too.

There seems to be a HUGE amount of cube-styled tanks to choose from in this size... but please do tell me if they are even slightly inappropriate, because I want to at least try and start with everything as right as possible!

I did find this AquaEl Classic 40 tank (25 litres) -- http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fis...assic-40-rectangular-aquarium-kit-333210.html

Though I have concerns about the hood? I can't tell if there are holes so there will be a constant airflow -- it looks like there MAY be some at the back. I'm happy to drill down to create some if there are none, but I can't tell what material the hood is made from :shock: does anyone use this tank (or a similar AquaEl tank? Can you drill the top...???)

Anyhew -- I'm located in the UK and neither me or my partner drive, so travel is a bit of an issue, and buying online is definitely the best option for us if we can manage it. For a tank alone, I would say our budget is under £60.

Sorry for a rather long ramble!! And thank you for listening :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It should be good. The hood won't be tight enough that there won't be air coming in so I wouldn't worry.

A standard US 5g might fit that size though you may have to look for specific dimensions.

It's better to have longer/wider than taller tanks but it shouldn't be a huge issue unless it's REALLY tall.

When choosing a tank set up like that be sure it includes a heater. That is the most important thing (aside from food and water conditioner). Filters are a quality of life thing as they enable you to cycle a tank but heaters are a necessity for bettas. They require stable tropical temperatures to thrive.

Get the absolute biggest tank you can manage, it makes for fewer water changes. That tank you linked would need maybe 2 50% changes in a week depending on if you take out the food the fish doesn't eat. If you haven't read up on cycling and water changes it's best to do that.

Verrrry few people read before buying. It's not that buying the fish first is a bad thing but I don't think we fully realize what we actually need when we just come home with a betta and a bowl :) So good for you that you want to get everything ready before hand.

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Kithy, thanks so much for your reply! :) Good to know about the types of tank shape, I think that does give us a couple more options (as you say, as long as they're not those super tall ones).

I would *definitely* include a heater, definitely!!!!! I was thinking I'd start with a suitable tank, and build it up from there -- either buying/modifying the filter, buying heater, thermometer... etc., but for our space, picking the tank first seemed to be the best option.

I hope I can find a good one... though I am happy you think the AquaEl is okay. (I think it comes to 6.6 US gallons, so, with everything in it, probably 5.5 gallons...?) I would be looking to stock some tethered live plants, too. I want to get the tank and everything set up about a month or two before we get our fish, so I can get used to everything -- I'm reading up a lot on cycling, so hopefully by the end of the year I'll feel confident to do it for real!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts