Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just purchased my first betta fish in about 10 years, and I am so excited to have my little buddy here with me.

I am worried that the tank's shape is going to stress him out. The pet store I went to only had 5-gal tanks in a spherical shape (like a bowl). I'm worried that the narrow top isn't going to let him hang out near the surface comfortably/without getting really close to the filter. I don't think I can return the tank: would it be worth it to purchase another tank?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depending on the power of the filter, it may not have much suction. My female betta likes to play near hers and it hasn't been a problem (I was worried about it myself).

If you're worried, you can wrap a thin sponge pad around it with a rubber band, so if he does get pulled towards it it won't hurt him. Use the kind of black mesh sponge stuff that is frequently on the back of a filter. It may reduce the flow of your filter some, but it shouldn't totally ruin its ability. I had to do that once for a particular clueless male veiltail I had back in high school who thought the filter in my 10 gallon was great fun to get stuck to. Kinda miss my derpy Watermelon.

You could also give him something up there to rest on as well as to block some of the current on part of it using some fake or real plants that are tall enough to touch the top of the water.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Personally, and this is my opinion I would only use this type of tank as a nano tank (plants only) A regular 5.5 gal tank complete setup with out heater ( at Wal-mart) runs about $28.00 comes with hood, LED white lighting, and filter. Or you can get a regular 5.5 tank only for around $15.00. I think they are better tanks all around, and there is so much more you can do with them as far as decor. And again just my opinion.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I believe that @VillagerSparky has a Biorb which is a similar shape and set up, hopefully he'll spot this

You rang?

Ah a sphere tank. Yes, I have a Biorb for my Betta tank with an internal powered filter with heater, and he gets along just fine. My filter uses a spray bar to lessen the flow, and you could place some sponge over the intake or outflow to lessen flow. Decoration is also useful for directing and buffering flow.

In my case my Betta can be quite happily seen swimming against the current before stopping sailing down to the bottom of the tank and starting all over again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts