Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on Saturday to pick up a betta, so I've been working on arranging my tank. I have a bridge and a mason jar in there right now, and a couple of small plants, but I'm thinking of adding some things...
I want to add a couple of taller plants to hide the heater wire/the heater itself behind the bridge. I also might grab a few more of those little plants since I like them so much...

My question is; is this too cluttered? I added the mason jar last night, and I'm not sure if I like it... It looks cool, but it takes up a lot of space. I could easily save it for a bigger tank... I have a few options here:
- Take the mason jar out, add the other plants.
- Take the bridge out, add the other plants.
- Leave everything in, but don't add anything else.
- Add the other plants and leave it as is.
I'm not sure :/. By the way, that plastic thing on the filter is a water bottle baffle that I modified to work with this model. There /is/ a thermometer in there, you can see it on the wall behind the jar. And those plants aren't actually sharp, I tested them with pantyhose. The gems aren't sharp either.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hi, well, seeing the size of the jar, I would say a little too big, like the bridge tho, and the plants, but yea a little wider and taller in the back, and possibly a real plant, a small or med one..and mix and match colors --btw..what color betta do you have in mind to get?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Also if you keep the heater in a vertical position, it makes the tank look bigger, and you will have more room for plants, what style is your tank, a minibow..(looks like) check the dimensions of the tank, Hgt, and width..so you can see what plants would work best..

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm more worried about the stones but it looks fine to me. o.o

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hahaha the plants are purple because my roommate LOVES that color... we're going with a purple theme here. We're probably going to go for a blue, black, or white fish.
Those gem stones aren't sharp at all, as I said... I don't think we'll be getting any real plants, we don't have the light for them and I have extremely bad luck with keeping them alive xD.
I don't know if I want to switch the heater position. I've heard that leaving it horizontal and near the bottom means that you don't have to take it out when doing water changes.

I think I'm going to take the jar out, though... the more I look at it the less I like it.

EDIT: I'll repeat it. Those are aquarium gems that are /extremely/ smooth. They look sharper because of the way the flash bounces off of them. I literally massacred pantyhose with them got not even a run, so I think a fish will be fine xD

·
Registered
692 Posts
Aha, I didn't see that part about the gems, sorry xD But over all, it looks fine. Your betta has a lot of space to swim in as well as explore -w-

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have that same bridge and my fish loves it, but being your tank is so colorful I think I would get a more colorful cave. Just a suggestion. If you have a walmart they sell colorful caves for like $3. Or petco or petsmart may have something. Just might make it even brighter. And I would take the mason jar out its just a little big, but otherwise I love it!

Did you buy the black rock with the neon colored rocks or did you mix that yourself?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just some Ideas..

Our Sammy loves this tall plant I ordered on Amazon..very soft, and that is him resting on it..:-D and the one to the left, dk blue wispy one, is from Petco..and it's tall, and very soft, and very comfortable to rest on..I also have a tall Red silk big leaf in the background..that he loves soo much also from Petco..(silk plants are beautiful and soft in the water)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just be sure that the jar is at least 1/2" away from the edge or your Betta might get smashed between.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@a123andpoof - The gravel came that way. I love it, I think it looks awesome!
@lelei - I saw that feather plant on there, it's adorable. I don't want to pay shipping though... :p. Too bad my Prime trial ran out, otherwise I'd probably buy it.
@finnfinnfriend - Oh my gosh those barrels are cute! If I see them at petsmart I might not be able to resist, we'll see. Someone on one of the reviews has it with the same bridge that I have xD.

I ended up taking the jar out... I really like it better this way I've decided. I'll surely find another use for a nice mason jar soon xD. I'll just get some more plants and maybe another ornament to put in there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
What you can do with the mason jar is grow some aquatic plants or quarantine them :D

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aesthetically speaking, everything seems chunked at the bottom. Perhaps get rid of the jar. Get a taller plant that extends more towards the surface. Keep it simple, elegant...

this is just my opinion and good luck!!!

p.s. i see you have made changes already, sorry i didnt read ahead ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts