Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is substrate really need it? Do you have a tank without it? Please post pictures.

·
Registered
959 Posts
All 3 of my tanks are bare bottom :) None have filters, nor are they cycled! Apparently cycled tanks need gravel to hold the good bacteria, so I have been told.

My tanks are so bare right now :-? I need to get more decorations.... This is just 1 of my 3 tanks. It's the only picture of my bare bottom tanks that I have right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
I only have 1 bare bottom tank, and that is because I don't feel like buying more rocks for a 3 gallon that I needed to get for a betta sorority emergency. I would post a picture but I am at work right now. In reality bare bottom tanks give your fish more room to swim. But if you're like me I want all my tanks to have some sort of garden look so I'll be putting in some plants later on.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. I been thinking about removing the substrate from my tank but i wanna make sure is safe to do so.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Do you mean your large community tank? I wouldn't do it just in case it threatens the cycle. It's fine for smaller tanks though :p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well a 20 will never have to be fully cleaned so I would say don't do it. It is beneficial to your tank as it is the #2 housing place for the bacteria, most is in your filter of course. I wouldn't o it as it may mess up your cycle, plus it just look better. Though in tanks that I would do 100%s I would have t barebottom.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have a 20 gal without gravel. It's supposed to be a growout tank but I didn't get bunches of babies so Dizzy is in it all by himself at the moment. It's super easy to clean and I don't have a filter (other than a sponge which is currently off) and its not cycled. He's so happy he's built a big bubble nest.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The tank cycled with gravel, so taking it out probably isn't a great idea, you have several fish in there, including cories. If you really want to, you could take out 1/3 of it, wait two months, take another third out, wait two months and take the last third out. That should give it time to catch up. I'd put a thin layer of playsand for the cories, they really need something to nose around in.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I agree w/ Olympia...don't take it all out at once or it will mess w/your cycle...
Also, fish are accustomed to darker, less reflective bottoms...it makes them feel safer and they might get nervous and always attempt to hide...some fish act a little crazy w/bare bottom tanks.
In addition, no substrate can limit what plants you can have...all my tanks are dirt substrate covered w/black sand...I love Natural Planted Tanks, and evidently so do my fish since everyone is having babies w/o consulting me and w/no help from me!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Internal filters can't have sand, most hang one are fine, just keep the sand low enough that the flow doesn't disturb it.
Also, don't buy dark "tahitan moon sand", to my knowledge it is all made from glass shards which can inbed themselves to your cories, buy playsand at home depot. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use just plain old aquarium black sand, which also comes in reddish brown and white/cream, from Petco. No problems noted with any of my fish...in fact, my bettas love it as much as my cories. Daffodil lays on it w/fins spread and head slightly up as if he is in a lounge chair enjoying the sun! Of course, he also sits in a baby crypt(type of live plant...easy to care for and loves low to medium light) and spreads his fins so that it looks like he is in a throne! No damage to his body has been found.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I'm sure there are some that are fine, but you should double check.. All CaribSea brand is glass, and the bags say "not for bottom dwellers". ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.