Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I might be getting a betta soon, but I don't know what aquarium to get and I'd like some advice. I only have enough room for a 5 gal tank, and I'd prefer to get a 5 gal than a 2.5 gal. I've been looking at a few on Petco's website, but I really don't know what is better. Here's a few that I liked:
Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit (I would choose the 5 gal one)
Marineland Contour Glass LED Aquarium Kit

Any other suggestions on tanks from Petsmart or Petco that are within those sizes (and aren't expensive) are appreciated. Thank you :)

edit- Oh, and I also need to add that it needs to be cat-proof.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Both are pretty good, kudos on doing research. The minibow is good as long as you get he one with LED lights, and as long as you are careful not to scratch the acrylic. The glass is more scratch proof but you may need to shove some AQ sponge in to baffle the filter. Regardless you will need a seperate heater.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are pretty good, kudos on doing research. The minibow is good as long as you get he one with LED lights, and as long as you are careful not to scratch the acrylic. The glass is more scratch proof but you may need to shove some AQ sponge in to baffle the filter. Regardless you will need a seperate heater.
Thank you. As for the heater, would this be a good heater? And would it need to be 25 watts?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honestly I dislike the hydro brand, and you'd want a 50watt, go for a tetra or jeager or via aqua

·
Registered
349 Posts
I personally would get the Petsmart National Geographic tank. Downside though is they only have up to 2.5 gallon ones. I like them because the filter is quiet, it has a touch censored light switch and profits go towards the NatGeo fund.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You might also want to look in Your local Wal-mart store. I know in the stores around us (about 15) they have a store brand kit with tetra filter and LED hood for around $27.00 a good heater for a 5.5 would be a Marineland 25 watt adjustable Visi Therm Deluxe. I have a 25 watt in my 4 gallon Marineland classic kit and a 75 watt adjustable in my 10 gallon. both have done very well in keeping the tanks at 78 degrees.
On the national geographic tanks I have looked at these tanks and the only problem I have found with them is they are not standard size tanks. Only their products, like lighting and hoods work on their tanks. And they cost a lot more than standard tanks. (something to think about for down the road. like when the lighting gives out. and the need to replace.)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've heard good things about that Tetra set. But it's worth noting that when you get a kit, you need to make sure you get good food and a heater as well.

For your first tank, I'd also recommend this. It costs about eight bucks and it should let you know if your ammonia levels are toxic. Keep up with your water changes even if it says the water is safe, however, as there's a bit of discussion as to whether or not it works. Personally, I haven't let my tank conditions down enough to find out whether mine work or not.

·
Registered
696 Posts
http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-fish-tank-nano.html
I do not have this specific tank, but I have a ton of their stuff, other tanks, heaters,filters,and air pumps they are all good quality, great prices and free shipping, I turn to them when I need things, I personally stay away from acrylic tanks in my experience they scratch too easily and get cloudy and so on
I do, don't waste your money. That's why it's sitting in a box now.

A good 3 gallon tank is the JBC picotope. It comes with a light and filter, and you can get it for $39.00 at Dr. Fosters and Smith.
I own two and they are great.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I personally recommend going simple. A standard rectangular glass tank like these. It is going to be easier to replacement hoods, UGFs (if you want them) mesh covers etc. that you don't even know that you will ever want. You can change out the included hood for an LED, or a tube fluorescent, or whatever type hasn't come on the market yet but will be invented next year to revolutionize the hobby. Or if you know already that you want to start with a different type, get one of the same style as this, but not the kit. The straight sides are slightly easier to clean than bowed or curved sides and there is less distortion when looking at your fish.

If they were the same cost, I'd still go for the simple aquariums.

EDIT: PS for betta you want a fully closed top to prevent jumping.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I do, don't waste your money. That's why it's sitting in a box now.

A good 3 gallon tank is the JBC picotope. It comes with a light and filter, and you can get it for $39.00 at Dr. Fosters and Smith.
I own two and they are great.
I have that specific tank....first off I got mine directly from them and let me say one thing..their customer service sucks, they sent the tank only then it took 2 weeks to get the filter and light, the filter was extremely noisy, the light is rather cheaply made, the tank is of decent quality, but there was a bit of a mess with a seam of silicone that was just messy, I do not recommend anything from them due to their poor customer service.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have that specific tank....first off I got mine directly from them and let me say one thing..their customer service sucks, they sent the tank only then it took 2 weeks to get the filter and light, the filter was extremely noisy, the light is rather cheaply made, the tank is of decent quality, but there was a bit of a mess with a seam of silicone that was just messy, I do not recommend anything from them due to their poor customer service.
Got mine through Fosters and Smith, and they have great customer service and if there is a problem, they take care of it.
Admit the silicone is a bit messy, but doesn't show once the tank is filled and running. I like the filters, the light, iffy, but I replaced it anyway with a ecoxotic led eco pico arm.
You must be talking about the jbc authorized reseller, if so, I had trouble with them also. Wanted another one of their filters and the hassle was no one answered emails or phone, so I had paypal cancel it for me.

But other than those things, I really like the tanks, and filters. They are the perfect size for what I need. I have four tanks and limited room, and they all fit where I need them.
But, as they say to each his own. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.