Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just wondering...........where do you get your water from for water changes? Does it come right out of the tap, into a container and into the tank OR do you fill up a container/containers, store them and use when doing a water change?

I saved and cleaned out some 1 gallon plastic milk containers. I let hot water sit in each one over night and really rinsed each out. Then, I filled with tap water and sit near the aquarium. Since our tank is only a 5 gallon one, I only keep 3 gallons b/c I never do more than a 50% water change which would be 2 1/2 gallons. I keep them at room temperature, so they are only a few degrees cooler than the water in the tank.

But, I'm starting to wonder if that "bottled" water is fresh enough for doing a water change. "Right out of the tap" would definitely be fresh water and, using an aquarium thermometer, I could make sure the tap water is very close to the temperature of the tank water.

So, which do you do??

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
For all my tanks I just use tap water. I fill up a few buckets, treat the water with conditioner and I'm about ready to go.

But I basically put all my fish in cups before taking any water out. Siphon and whatever else, put the new water in and let the cups float until the temp is about where it was before the wc. Add them back in and all done.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
some people buy from the store, but if your water does not have to much heavy metals, you can take it from the tap TREAT IT WITH WATER CONTIDIONERS and then put it in the tank. remember to acclimate your betta back into it

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
For all my tanks I just use tap water. I fill up a few buckets, treat the water with conditioner and I'm about ready to go.

But I basically put all my fish in cups before taking any water out. Siphon and whatever else, put the new water in and let the cups float until the temp is about where it was before the wc. Add them back in and all done.
I do a similar thing for water changes. The only difference is during the winter months/any time its cold I let my water sit in buckets overnight with a few of my small extra heaters in them. This is only because in my apartment I don't get hot water out of my sinks (i do out of my shower but for some reasons not my sink. I know its weird). I obviously don't want to put ice cold water into the tank so letting the water sit overnight with heaters to get warm works well for me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use conditioned tap water, buying it from the store is expensive and impractical unless your tap water is harmful to fish.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I used to use purified water from the store for my bettas but many people here say it does not have the minerals the fish needs. unless you add the minerals in the water. ^^ now I just use my tap water.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use conditioned (with prime) tap water that I let sit in gallon jugs (lid off always), with the half gallons that the babies are in and doing water changes every day it's easier to have room temperature water on hand instead of waiting for them to come up to temperature all the time. I don't cup for partial water changes, as the water I have on hand is in the same room (my tiny bathroom with the heat turned up and the door close) and it stays at the same temperature as the tanks (right around 82 degrees). I do check the temperature with a spare thermometer before doing a partial water change since I'm not cupping the babies. It's less stress on them than being cupped every single day.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
VivianKJean - why not just fill up the buckets from your shower?

I use tap water because we have decent water. I use a python/water changer, so I add water conditioner directly to the tank before I refill it. I keep a spare thermometer by the sink to check the temp of what's coming out of the tap to match it to the tank. I also don't cup for water changes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 5 gallon bucket that I use to prepare my water. I used to prepare it a day ahead of time, but I read that the effects of the water conditioner dissapate over time, so I stopped doing that. My tap water has ammonia, so I condition it with Stress Coat (same effect as Prime) to detoxify it.

I fill a gallon jug from the tap. I adjust the temperature at the tap to match the tank. I add 3 or 4 gallons to the bucket and dose with Stress Coat. I stir it a bit, check the temp, and do the water change immediately. I always leave the fish in his tank. The only times I've cupped him was to move him to another tank. For a large change, I siphon as much water as I can while leaving him an inch or 2 to keep him comfortable. When ammonia was too high in my 2.5 gallon tank I did two large changes in a row to bring it down. My fish doesn't get stressed (he follows the siphon around and "supervises") and I don't have to acclimate him.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
givemethatfish - guess i could do that. Idk. It just seems easier to me to do it the way ive been doing. My water also isn't the "safest" or best so the water I use for my tanks goes through on of those faucet filters for that reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts