Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has finally cycled so I have decided to create a new journal to keep track of its progress.

Tanks:
1. 10 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
Resident: Jackson Pollock, my CT betta.
Plants:
- Java Moss
- Java Fern
- Round Pellia
- Anubias Nana
- Banana Plant
- Vallisneria Americana
- Willow hygrophilia
- Two plants not ID-ed honestly can't remember lol

2. 1.5 Gallon Invert Vase
Resident: Hitch, the Thai Micro Crab
Plants:
- Java Fern
- Java Moss

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Jackson sure is something... Wow. Beautiful pictures.

I like your vase idea. It looks very clean and sleek. I really want to do a NPT cookie jar myself.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackson sure is something... Wow. Beautiful pictures.

I like your vase idea. It looks very clean and sleek. I really want to do a NPT cookie jar myself.
Thanks!

I bought it to make a terrarium, but I don't have much of a green thumb :-? There was no point just keeping it empty, so I figured I would move Hitch there since I never saw him when he was in the 10 gal. with my betta.

Looking into adding a sponge filter in there and maybe a small 15 watt heater :) Hopefully adding some cherry shrimp or maybe a snail in there with him in the future!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THE SHRIMP ARE HERE :D

Picked up some Fire Red Shrimp at the LFS. Took a looong time acclimating them and now they're doing awesome in my 1.5 gallon. Was a little worried about the crab and the shrimp getting along (everything I read online said they'd be fine but idk lol just worried for no reason), but they are all peacefully grazing so it looks like things will be fine :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is just beautiful! I love it!

Could you tell me what type of sponge filter, heater and light you are using? Does it have a lid?
Thank you :D

The filter is a Penn Plax Small World -- I'm not going to get replacement cartridges, just take the cartridge apart and stuff with sponge. I have no heater atm but the temp is steady at 80F. Just ordered a 25W heater though. The light is a regular CFL (waiting for more $$$ to order an LED clip-on.

Yes, it does have a lid :) I keep the lid on because I have cats.

Some more photos from yesterday. They're really getting fired up! One molted this morning. I think all of them are female... which means I have to find a way to get some males! They're all starting to saddle so :)

These guys do such a good job cleaning up all the icky stuff on the tank decor + plants! I wish I could put them in my 10 gal. with my betta but I doubt Jackson would leave them alone :-( This little jar looks better than my heavily planted 10 gal because of how clean the shrimpies are keeping it!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cherry vase is still going strong! I got some juvie males from a guy who was selling some of his. I believe they are too young to breed atm but I am hoping theyw ill breed soon! Yesterday the shrimp had a molting party. I counted at least 3 exoskeletons. Pretty exciting stuff :D

Little racing stripe girl :)

One of my cats really enjoys this vase. After his breakfast, he goes to watch the shrimp every morning. I caught him licking the vase yesterday LOL I'm glad I have a lid for it :p

Aaand Jackson is doing great, as usual :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Omg I thought your cat was wearing glasses for a split second in that pic !! Lol !!
It's just the furniture in the back lol . Those shrimp are so cutee !

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, the shrimps are so cute! And Jackson is lovely -- looks like he has a lotta fun in that tank! :D
Thanks :D Yes he really loves all the plants! Sometimes I have trouble finding him because he goes and hides in the two "forests" on either side of the tank :p

I love the look of your betta tank. How long did you cycle it for? What substrate are you using? ...and any additives?

My tank's been set up for a little less than a month now.
Thanks :) It took a little over a month for my tank to cycle. I am using a mix of CaribSea's Tahitian Moon Sand and Fluorite. In terms of any extra additives, I use Prime, Fluorish, Excel and Iron for the plants :)

Omg I thought your cat was wearing glasses for a split second in that pic !! Lol !!
It's just the furniture in the back lol . Those shrimp are so cutee !
Haha I didn't even notice. Too funny. Thanks :) I am really enjoying them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rearranged some things in Jackson's tank! I had to make room for the koke stones that I ordered which should be arriving tomorrow! They are going to be put in the center of the empty space on the left, and hopefully I will be able to grow some flame moss on it :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Added the koke stones today. Now just waiting for the moss!

I also installed my new Azoo Mignon 360 filter... I thought it was going to be more quiet than my Marina S15 but I guess i was wrong arghhhh :evil: It is makignt his annoying humming/grinding sound ugh. Hopefully it stops in a few days...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't get over how cute this tank is ! :3
Oh wow, that tank looks so beautiful x3!! Can't wait to see more!

Thank you both! Really proud of how far it's come :D

I added some pygmy cories the other day. Started off with 6, 2 died overnight, and then I brought home 4 more today. Jackson doesn't mind them at all!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Gorgeous tank!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So some sad news :( I already posted this last week when I was looking for emergency help for my Jackson, but he ended up passing away.

I have decided to make the 10 gal. a community tank with dwarf cories and my fire red shrimp.

I'm purchasing a rack, and I intend on getting a couple of 5 gallons (my sister works for a big pet supplies company so I am able to get them at a huge discount!), and housing my future bettas in there.

My betta supplier/breeder has offered me a baby blue marble crown tail plakat for free, but I am going to have a look at his current plakat stock before coming to a decision.

Also my pygmy cories went from 10 to 4 due to unknown causes... The 4 are at least thriving though.

The shrimp seem to be much happier in the 10 gallon. I may use the 1.5 gal in the future to house one or two shrimp, but that would be it. I felt that it was too crowded with the 8.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.