Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my poor Leopold with a history of poor health passed away while I was out tonight :(

He has the U shaped spine and is at the bottom of the tank with a swollen belly and grey lesions on his body. After reading, this looks like fish TB. I am very worried about it spreading to myself. I know this is selfish, but I am concerned. I have been all around his water for the past two days and his tank is next to my bathroom sink in my college dorm room. I am not sure what to do moving forward. Should I just bleach everything and throw away anything disposable that his water has touched?

Please, help a worried girl out.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You might wanna look into getting yourself tested. I would throw everything out. I believe it can be transmitted to humans though not entirely sure.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It can, and bleach won't do anything to it. You'll have to throw everything out (from what I've read). I would definitely go get tested if you're worried that he may have had TB. It's not anything to mess around with.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,461 Posts
You can't be tested for Mycobacterium marinum unless you develop skin lesions. While it is extremely rare in the United States if you should develop lesions make sure you tell your doctor you believe you came in contact with an infected fish.

It is not like human TB in that it's a lung disease.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Statistically I'm more likely to fall hit my head & die in the fishroom than get fish TB. You're far more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to the doctor than get fish TB.

While it is somewhat of a concern for a person working in the aquaculture industry it's incredibly rare, even more so for the hobbyist. As mentioned, it's a skin disease in humans, something a dermatologist would be aware of but a GP most likely wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
So OP is probably okay unless they have a seriously compromised immune system and all the stars align correctly? That's a relief!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
And you'd have to really have openings on your hands/arms that go into the tank as well like cuts and scrapes for the disease to penetrate. I'm sure there are other ways it can penetrate but those were the common ones at least. Myco is everywhere though, even in the water we drink ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts