Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Back in December, a friend of mine moved countries and left the Betta with us. We have always fed it the same food (photo attached, Betta Food) once a day, 3 pellets.

Back early April my wife said the male fish we have always thought, was female and pregnant. Time passed by to early May and I was wondering how long they would stay pregnant, to learn a lot less than the weeks we have passed. So started to research and constipation looks like the problem.

I fasted him for 4 days, then I tried the Daphnia, peas a couple days later (he ate those, not the Daphnia) and nothing helped with his constipation. Not a single poop.

Today at a specialized store, they gave me PraziPro and suggested 1/2 Tsp for the 5Gal tank we have. We mixed it and put in the water, removing the carbon cartridge from filter.

We looked at him 5h later and he is on his side.

Anything I can do help him? I would love to save the little guy.

Questionnaire :

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Photo attached
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1x a day, 3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1x a month
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Bottle water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum

Water Parameters: Photo attached

Liquid Plant Fluid Mammal Paint
Paint Font Cylinder Tints and shades Pattern
Liquid Ingredient Fluid Yellow Drink
Vertebrate Textile Purple Organism Pink
Purple Cap Art Pink Magenta
Badge Font Data storage device Circle Emblem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While you've given some of the information in text and photos, we still need this quick-reference form completed *****PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so...

In the meantime, I'd do an Epsom Salts treatment: One tablespoon of plain Epsom Salts well-dissolved in a gallon of treated water. You don't need to put him in the entire gallon; a small container warmed to the same temperature of his tank is good.

Leave in the bath for no more than 15 minutes. Watch him the entire time for any reaction. If he is obviously stressed return him to his tank.
I just took one gallon, dissolves the Epson Salt and moved a small amount to clean bucket where I then moved him. He isn't moving at all, he is just on his side (photo)

When I opened the tank to pick him, he swam a lot faster but then stopped now in the bucket

Any other chance? I feel so bad that I didn't pay attention thinking it was pregnant.

Insect Arthropod Plant Pest Macro photography

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry, but he looks dead.

Did you make sure the temperatures were the same? The water in which you dissolved the ES would have cooled considerably from that in the tank. Uneven temperatures can cause fish to go into a sort of "shock." If they're already compromised it can be fatal.

I'm afraid he may have been just too far gone for any help. If you'll take the time to complete the entire form (even if some information is in text or photos) we might be able to pinpoint something in his habitat/maintenance that could be an issue. We always hope people will get another Betta if one doesn't make it and want them to be best informed.
Thank you Russel for some help and advice.
We moved the fish back into his tank after 10 min (the temperature on both were the same, I kept the heater on both to not drop the temperature under 80). When in the bucket with Epson Salt, I did noticed that even though laying on his side, he was breathing more vigorously, so after 10 min I decided to put him back in the tank and fill with bottled water, treating the added water first with TopFin Betta Water Conditioner and warming the water.

After dropping him, he was laying on his side (he did swam a lot when seeing the net trying to catch him) and stayed there.

I woke up this morning and he is in a different location, and looking better, although not swimming yet (video here: New video by André Soares)

I did put the cartridge back in the filter yesterday night, in the case the water with PraziPro was the reason he wasn't well. Let's hope this is not it for this little guy yet.

I'll keep you posted. Sorry my questionnaire in my first post isn't 100% full, this was a long day yesterday, even harder in between meetings until 9pm and a pregnant wife due anytime soon, so our 2 other kids were demanding. But I appreciate your help, and advices, A LOT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, congratulations on your baby! How exciting for your family!

Second, I am so glad I was wrong about your boy.

Has the swelling gone down at all? You can do another ES bath; just don't do them for more than 10 days straight.

Please keep us updated on the baby. :)
Thank you Russel, busy days but unfortunately very sad in the last couple due to this situation. Even though I didn't buy Dragon, I feel his pain and I want him to be better. I look at his eyes laying on his side and it's breaking my heart. My other two kids are struggling seeing Dragon in this situation.

Unfortunately he woke up well, like you saw in the video, but during the day it kept going downhill... it looks like the swelling is a lot worse, and as he is laying on his side more and more, I think the constipation now is added by a dropsy maybe? He is breathing, but not moving too much, or almost at all.

Should I do the 5 days cycle of PraziPro as the store guy recommended? Should I pick him with the net and bring him off water a little bit a few times a day? Should I continue fasting him, although I don't think he would eat anything at this stage. I just don't want him struggling for too long...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts