Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just moved my betta Bubbles from a 0.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank. There's a filter that came with the tank and Bubbles keeps hanging around there. Earlier today I thought he was stuck but he got out from behind it. Then later I found him behind there again. I moved the filter thinking it might be too close to the side of the tank, but he still goes behind there. I turned it off the filter thinking it might be sucking him in, but he's still hanging out there. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Do you have other hiding places? Lots of plants real or silk? Its not abnormal behavior, some of mine used to do that when I had HOB filters. I've had others that insisted on resting on the heater suction cups. They're quirky creatures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's two different real plants, a betta log, a betta hammock, and a rock cave with a fake turtle on it, so there's lots of places he could go to hide. That's why I thought it would be weird that he would choose the filter.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
My male likes to hide behind his filter too, when he's stressed or not feeling well. When my male is feeling good, he likes to rest out in the open. It could be that your guy is feeling vulnerable after being in such a tiny place for so long and even though he has other hiding places, that's where he feels the safest. If this is the case, give him time, and he will start to be out in the open more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! He's also not moving as much which is partly why I was so worried. But I guess if he's scared and hiding he wouldn't be swimming around the tank. I just hope he's not afraid of the fake turtle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts