Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
5.5 planning to switch it to a 10 gal soon but I'm afraid to move my shrimp since they're thriving in the current tank. I know shrimp are cheap but I really love my shrimp and I don't want to lose them.
I was asking the OP. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
How are the fish acting? Are they stressing your Betta? How big are they? What filtration? There are always "Rules" when it comes to keeping fish. However, aquatic rules are not written in stone and if everyone is eating and active and water parameters are good I don't have any problem with breaking those rules in situations such as yours.

The main thing, as you probably know, is keeping Ammonia and Nitrites at 0ppm and Nitrates under 10-15. You may have to up water changes to two 25% per week instead of one.

Whether to rehome is up to you. If you are uncomfortable then I would. Have you run your numbers through www.aqadvisor.com? It will tell you whether you have enough filtration and how overstocked you might be.

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
I believe sometimes exceptions have to be made. Like I said before: Nothing is aquatics (or much else) is written in stone. If they are active and eating they are far better off with you than in a store's tanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
I'm one of these "if they're doing fine don't mess with parameters." I keep a large school of Neons in semi-hard water and they are soft water fish. When I had soft water I couldn't keep them for anything.

The only parameters which ever concern me are Ammonia, Nitrite with Nitrate under 15-20. I'm not saying everyone should feel the same but it works for me. I go more by how the fish are doing.

I would do half tap and half RO, spring or distilled; whichever is the least expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.