Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a 40g tank for a couple of fancy goldfish, but the Tetra Whisper 60 Air Pump is driving me crazy!!!! Do you think I could get away with an air pump designed for a 20g tank? I have a Marineland 350 Filter designed for a 70g tank, so I mean, it's not like there won't be any surface agitation/filtration.

So in recap, can I get away with an air pump for a 20g tank?
IF not, can you guys recommend any SUPER QUIET pumps? My dad is ridiculously noise sensitive, and it irks me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I have no idea how well a sponge filter would work for goldies, but if you have 2 filters in there, I would suggest one regular filter, and a sponge filter. I use the http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753029 which is what you have... How come it is bugging you? is it just the size that is making it vibrate more? Use a 40 gallon pump maybe, (if that doesn't work I want it :p hehe). I have the 20 gallon one. And it doesn't make a single sound. I use it for 10-20 gallon though. If you DO have another filter meant for a larger tank you can get away with it.
Be warned though, you will want to get a 70 :3 those fellas are pooping machines :p plus get to a decent size <3

Then get the sponge filter pieces, or jsut an aquarium sponge you can anchor to the bottom with weights or rocks. Getting tubing, and an adjustable valve for air flow. Cleaning is as easy as take out, rinse in old aquarium water, put back :)

If you want go with Fluval (three sizes on petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4455062 - you can see the one review saying it is better than aqua clear xD

Here is one I use! http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3943444 I love it. Generally quiet. the water level goes down, it doesn't make a churning sound that says "FILL THE WATER UP!" it stays quiet. If it still has the water high enough, it's just dribbling water for sound. I will recommend this 100% :) PLUS adjustable flow, easy to clean, etc.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Our filter is the Marineland Penguin 350. Really big and "quiet".

Is the whisper 20 air pump quiet? Like, dead silent?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I don't hear it. Basically it's a very very soft humming sound. It's good on tables, hard floors or carpet. I've never had a problem. Just avoid it being right against something otherwise you hear the obnoxious buzzing of the other object touching :) I don't notice mine is on really.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Good luck! =D

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Yeah, if you want surface agitation, do look at the Fluval range. Super quiet. I have two running in my bedroom and you just cannot hear them. I use the internal ones, the U1 and U2, and they provide some good water movement without even the waterfall noise of a HOB or the bubble noise of an aerator. :)

I have never found a truly silent airpump. :S

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the plan's changed to 2 (maybe 3) Goldies. So I don't think an air pimp is really necessary. I'll still look into one, though. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm aware of the boundaries. Definitely have done my research (when I should be studying for exams, XD)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well in that case grab a couple fluvals. Trust me, those are poopers xD They are quiet, worth the money, and clean nicely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Two would be sufficient but three would really be pushing the physical space for them. The bioload is going to be large as well and something that would need to be kept in check as well with regular testing and water changes.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New filter is out of the question. And we aren't planning on massive goldies right off the bat. I know they'll grow. I'll definitely keep on the WCs. Of course the tank'll be cycled. I'm really going for 2 though. Just need to get my mom on board. :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well, plan on up-grading of course xD Hopefully your mom would agree to it.

And yeah try just 2 :p trust me :roll: my OSCAR is bad enough in an 80 gallon LOL and he's a baby!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Even with two goldfish I would still get an air pump. I have two goldfish in a 55 gal tank and need to use the air pump in the summer as the water doesn't hold much oxygen. I have three fusion air pumps running in my bedroom and can hardly hear them at all. I highly recommend them.

I agree with everyone. Three goldfish in a 40 gal is pushing it. If you want to do that, you should either run two HOB's or get a large canister. Space will be an issue but so will surface area for the BB. I recently helped someone who had a cycle stall because there wasn't enough surface area to support the BB; she had a 40 gal and ended up getting a canister filter. Two goldfish in there should be perfectly fine. As far as the physical space issue, goldfish growth isn't something that we can predict. I've heard breeders say they've gotten both runts and giants from the same spawn. With good food and proper water changes, they will grow to be pretty large and rather fast. As far as which ones stay the smallest, I've heard that ryukin and pearlscales stay the smallest while orandas tend to be larger. But this is not always the case.

And lastly, thank you for doing your research before buying. It warms my hear to see goldfish going to a proper home. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:)

I always research before buying pets. I have my bettas in a divided 10g lol.

Like I said, I'm gonna try for the 2 fish, but if my mom says 3, I gotta recant. If they're larger, she'll be okay with 2. I *hope* petsmart
will have some good size ones. (they usually do)

Also a few sources say that for fancies 20g for the first fish, and 10g for any other fish.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
That might work for the very smallest fancies, but I'm not sure about pearlscales...aren't they one of the bigger types? I definitely wouldn't try it with moores or something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nah Pearlies are the little guys :3

And I know how you feel about the air pump. I had a Tetra "Whisper" whatever for my goldie rescues and I hated it. Had to shut it off at night. I have the thing on 4 foled towels and a beanie baby and it still vibrates or just makes noise in general :eyeroll:

Good luck with your goldies :3 <3

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep. If the reviews about the whisper are right, I'm not getting one. I will definitely try a 10-20g rated one though. IF it doesn't work, forget it. My dad will flip and I can't study sitting next to a train. Thanks a lot guys. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts