Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything on here leaves me paranoid about illnesses and I would like to know what medicines to have on hand for Betta illnesses. What works with what, warnings on copper-based meds and such. I'm asking because I don't want to be caught off guard if something happens and I cannot get the medication in time.

I'd like to keep a little cabinet with fish meds and well, what would everyone on here suggest to keep on-hand for most emergencies?

·
Banned
27,599 Posts
Well, most people recommend Kanaplex on here but I'm afraid that it will be overused and end up becoming useless as diseases become resistant to it. I remember one of our members had a quote in his sig that said something like the best thing you can have in your fishy medicine cabinet is clean water.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yes, I understand that. Disease resistance and all especially when folks don't finish a full-treatment and think they killed off most of the bad bacteria while the stuff with a mild-resistance still lives on.

And yes, being on top of water-changes and having clean water is good but should something go south what should folks have on hand?

I know that Epsom Salt is a must for Dropsy, Kanaplex, what else should a betta keeper have on hand?

·
Registered
951 Posts
The best thing to keep on hand is a list of local suppliers, what they keep in stock, and their hours. A list of online sources can also come in handy.

If you stock up on meds most have an expiration date, and most will expire before you come across any need for them. As mentioned, fresh water is the best med out there, things such as epsom salt or copper sulfate pentahydrate don't expire, any antibiotic I can think of will expire.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The best thing to keep on hand is a list of local suppliers, what they keep in stock, and their hours. A list of online sources can also come in handy.

If you stock up on meds most have an expiration date, and most will expire before you come across any need for them. As mentioned, fresh water is the best med out there, things such as epsom salt or copper sulfate pentahydrate don't expire, any antibiotic I can think of will expire.
Good advice

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I agree that prevention is he best cure... But realistically, you can't prevent everything... Illness will eventually happen, especially with new arrivals. That being said the vast majority of things are completely preventable and even treatable with simple things like clean water, warm water (or hot, in the case of ich), and ial.

I have aquarium salt, epsom salt, seachem paraguard, methylene blue, and kanaplex on hand. The first four do not expire, and my kanaplex has an expiration date of Feb. 6, 2016 (and I've had it for a while too). I would recommend having the salts and kanaplex on hand, the salts because they are cheap, broad spectrum, and don't expire and the kanaplex because it can offer a chance of recovery in fish that would most likely die in the time it takes to get to you. The meds I listed will do the job for most things I will encounter, and in my experience this is more then I need...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Much of it also has to do with the situation of the individual. If you just have a few fish, and live near an urban area, you can run out & pick up epsom salt at 2am, or get nearly any fish med the next morning if need be.

If your running a lot of fish through your setup, are involved in breeding, get stock from questionable sources or live further off the beaten path your needs will be different.

I can tell you what I keep on hand & why, but my situation is most likely way different than that of the OP. A little more info on the OP's location & resources as well as current & future plans would be helpful.

Reactions: dramaqueen

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@MattsBettas: Thank you! That's exactly the information I was looking for! The salts and methylene blue I can definitely stock-up on and that should end up treating most of what I'm expecting to encounter when I set up a bigger tank with girls in it.

Uh, well... I was just looking to see what I should have on hand. And as a general-thing for other folks on what to keep on hand. I am unfortunately in rural Colorado after leaving the Chicagoland-suburbs. So, mail-order on a lot of things like plants and meds but the salts, Kanaplex, methylene blue, and Paraguard (thank you, I was trying to decide between that and another product) should be easy pick-ups for me. (No Copper (II) Sulfate for me as our water alkalinity is very low and I just am not confident in it's use.... plus, I use that as an etching-medium for printmaking anyway. XD)

I'm just planning in advance so that I don't get caught off-guard when I get a bigger tank (25 gal) and 5 Betta-girls in the next few months. Hopefully, nothing goes south but, better safe than sorry. I don't want to be running to the store every-day either. Especially when I'll be ordering girls from Aquabid.

Thank you all for the help of what I should keep on hand (and yeah, when I pick up antibiotics anyway I usually look for the longest expiration-date) for when I do my big set-up. So, yay! Here's to the future and having on-hand what should help me prevent and treat most of what will

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Glad I helped. May I ask what product you were trying to decide on and chose paraguard instead?

Knowing your lfs hours is definitely useful but it's easier to just keep things on hand, and for me at least, just when you need something they're going to be sold out or you aren't going to be able to get there. That, and online is cheaper most of the time, especially when you know where to go.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Well, most people recommend Kanaplex on here but I'm afraid that it will be overused and end up becoming useless as diseases become resistant to it.
Just a few weeks ago you didn't know what kanaplex was and now you're concerned about it losing effectiveness. Did you come across some good reads on the matter? What can be done to preserve it as an effective med? Any advice?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I must have misunderstood what you meant by what is it and what does it treat. Glad to hear you're using google though. I think one of the keys to preserving an antibiotics effectiveness is not using it every time the fish gets "sick" with something. I can understand the desire to do something when a fish is not acting right, but I don't think blindly throwing meds at the fish is the right way to go. Perhaps one gets lucky from time to time, but at what cost? Then again, part of the whole bacteria battle is coming up with new meds when old ones stop working. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I agree with Matts list and would add Potassium Permanganate to the list, I do not think it goes bad but you do have too keep it out of the light, it can be used for net soak and all kinds of stuff, even for a fish dip, just make sure to google instructions on how to use it as a bath/dip. As far as kanaplex goes I keep it on hand as well I can get it from a LFS but that's a 50 mile round trip and it is only 8 dollar for the small bottle, I do have other meds on hand but most of those are from treating specific things with some rescue fish and I have not had to use them after that, but I do have them on hand lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I must have misunderstood what you meant by what is it and what does it treat. Glad to hear you're using google though. I think one of the keys to preserving an antibiotics effectiveness is not using it every time the fish gets "sick" with something. I can understand the desire to do something when a fish is not acting right, but I don't think blindly throwing meds at the fish is the right way to go. Perhaps one gets lucky from time to time, but at what cost? Then again, part of the whole bacteria battle is coming up with new meds when old ones stop working. Your thoughts?
My way of thinking on this is if kanaplex becomes less effective because of over use there really is little you can do about it, you may end up with a resistant strain and never have personally used it yourself, kanaplex is not my go to treatment, I try the others first and if they appear not to be working it's time to break out the big guns you know. columnaris I will pretty much start with kanaplex and meth blue or Potassium Permanganate baths/dips jsut make sure to research on how to use as a dip and have a good understanding of it, if it is anwhere near the gills DO NOT use PP

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would think with most of these antibiotics that if they were kept out of the light and in a cool, dry place they should last a little longer. Some human antibiotics keep better in a refridgerator, shouldn't that work for some fish-meds?

@Jaysee: Ugh, thinking about horizontal gene-flow (some bacteria can send resistance to others in really neat ways) in bacteria makes my head hurt. I have a Pathology class next semester and my Microbiology course delved far, far too deeply into the war on bacteria and disease resistance.

@MattsBettas: Well, I was thinking I would just grab a bottle of API General Cure but... I'm liking Seachem more and more so, Paraguard then.

@Stone: I read that Potassium Permanganate as Potassium "Pomegranate". I think I know where I can find this or order it online.

Thank you all for the help folks!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Paraguard is more of a general tonic type thing that helps with external parasites and possible bacteria and fungus, while general cure (which comes in a tablet form, not a bottle) is an antiparasetic that would be useful for internal parasite infections.

·
Banned
27,599 Posts
I agree with you, Jaysee. We shouldn't be just throwing stuff in the tank any time our fish get some little bump or scrape. Overuse will make diseases resistant to Kanaplex. Iver seen too many people say oh, just treat it with Kanaplex like it was a cure all for everything. That's why I referred to it as a wonder drug. Lol I know it's not a wonder drug. Lol I was also told by someone that the reason no one recommends tetracycline anymore is because it was overused and is no longer effective.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.