Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure most of you feel the same way about your betta as I do. He's or she is like your kid almost and you'd pretty much do anything in your power to make sure they are safe and well kept.
As most of you might have read in posts about my particular betta, I was pretty attached to him in fact I think my life slightly orbit's his. I've never felt so connected with a fish before. Granted, I've had some pretty awesome bettas and I've had some pretty awesome tropicals such as this golden chinese algae eater (who was about 5 inches long named Lakai). But this particular betta and how I came to be his mom seems more fortunate than just happening upon a tank. It's like I was meant to have him.

Some, but not most of you might have read my post where I was frantically trying to figure out what was wrong with Dinq. He was really sick and of course it was right before I was leaving for a week to go to Georgia. I couldn't NOT go because I had obligations down there, but at the same time, I wanted to shred my tickets and stay with my fish. I left him with my husband as he was nearing death. I figured it was only a matter of time between now and my train ride from CT to GA that I would get a text saying he didn't make it. I cried on the train, but I couldn't get too choked up because if I tried to explain my pet betta fish was dying to a normal person who doesn't understand them like (we) do, then I would seem like a big fat babbling PETA baby sitting on a train.

I was supposed to stay 2 weeks with my parents and it's a good thing I didn't because when I came home after finding out we had to move from CT to WA state, I found Dinq still alive, but my husband had left him in some horrid looking water and he seemed to have pulled through. (I checked on him on webcam occasionally too) :) I was of course frantic and changed his water out of his big tank and he perked up more than he did when he saw me. I'm pretty sure it was a case of swim bladder/constipation, but he was throwing out all kinds of signs that led me in all different directions as I've always kept my bettas well and he's really the only fish I've ever had get sick. I think it's because he was a hog more so than the other fish I've ever kept and he just loves to eat like a fat kid on a french fry.

Regardless, even though he was doing better he would have to overcome yet ANOTHER feat in his life that most bettas probably wouldn't undergo other than their initial shipments and being taken home to someone hopefully like you guys! My betta has moved with my wherever I have gone that the Navy has taken my husband and I. I originally bought Dinq in NY and not a month went by where we had to move to CT. We only lived in CT for a month while the Navy transferred around his orders and then we received them for WA state. Of course I was frazzled and I was freaking out and he was the last few things I packed up other than cleaning supplies. I made him his own carrier. I was going to put him in a little critter keeper and take him that way, but I figured out a way to keep him warm and locked in another way. I took a blanket and evened out my bucket seats and wrapped it around this box with a little pillow I made when I was like 12? and then I put his food in there and his hospital 1 gallon with a small plastic plant he liked. I still had his mini heater, of which I had an inverter in the car so I could heat his tank AND i had a back warmer that I could also use if it got too cold where we were going. Then, I set him in the blanket in the car so he was sitting perfectly straight and not on a slant and then locked the box he was in with a seatbelt and he was completely strapped in. I would have to roll the car before he would come out of his tank.
We only had 2 weeks (not even because I was in GA) to pack our things, load the truck, and clean our military rental, and get on the road. We had to report by April 1st and we left CT March 26th in the afternoon (he had to get checked out on base, which was a process in itself). Luckily, his parents live in PA, so we took the 5 hour drive and made it to his place and stayed there. Dinq of course came in and then the next morning we left. In 5 days we made it to WA where we were stationed and I crept him into every single hotel we stayed at along the way (IL, ND, MT, and WA). I carried in a tote at the end of the truck all of my fish supplies and gallon jugs of water from his tank. That way I could change the water in the 1 gallon as we made our way. He was such a trooper. There were times you could tell he was stressed, at first, but he got used to it. He scared us to death in ND when he was brought into the hotel and couldn't see. Here he only had a case of -bright light syndrome- like when you are used to being in the dark and then all of the sudden someone turns on the lights. He couldn't see and lost a good portion of his color, but after sitting on the table and just relaxing all of his red color came back and he was seeing okay again. He didn't seem to mind after the first few days and basically was like "mom, AGAIN?" as I started unplugging his stuff to get ready to leave for the next destination.

Most of the other betta keepers here would have probably shipped the fish and I thought about it, but unfortunately, when we were in Wisconsin, we were told that military housing was booked solid. We weren't able to get a place to live. In fact, houses here are on a 3 year wait list O.O
So, we lived out of a hotel for several days and tried to get things squared away and fortunately, we found a really nice apartment complex that helped us out and they are very military friendly and accepting of the fact that we were basically screwed. So now I have a nice apartment and Dinq is settling in with the WA lifestyle here pretty well. He's healthy, eating and begging for more, and he's also not biting his tail. Although he attempted several times when we were on the road. He was probably just bugging out from the trip.

I had several ignorant people tell me to flush him before we left, but clearly, they don't deserve any pets. Honestly, I have half a mind when their baby is born and they have to PSC to tell them to flush their kid. Dinq is no problems what so ever and I'm glad I'm more humane than that. Yes he might just be a fish, but we all are just people and there's a crap load of us, so maybe if other people are inconveniences, we should just murder them cold blood too? My fish is innocent. He just recovered from being sick under his own will. I cried at that fish tank while he looked at me floating like a corpse there. I cried for hours and hours for that fish trying to figure out how to help him, why would I flush him because I have to move 3,000 miles? People are so ignorant and I hope they stay far away from the "betta lounges" in the pet store because they deserve no part of those poor fish's lives. When things get hard, I take the people, animals, and things that I care about and I keep them close.

I love my betta. I love you Dinq.
Safety First, Dinq!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep. A lot of shelters are full of animals that were abandoned because it was 'inconvenient' to move them. Bettas and goldfish have it especially hard since most only cost a few pennies to a few dollars to get a new one,and owners just flush 'em, never thinking that the fish they have now isn't an old shoe or a chipped cup to be tosssed out.
It's great to hear how much you care for your little guy! At least some people realize that a fish is a responsibility, not a knick-knack.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What a story!!!!!! And shame on those people who told you to flush him! : ( I hope that they never have pets, for the animal's sake. Or, on the other hand, maybe then they'd understand what it's like to have a pet.

Congrats on the move, and to your lovely boy for taking it so well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.