Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honey surprised us with a little baby!! Gender unknown yet, but I will update on the 2nd or 3rd what the gender is...:-D
(excuse technical difficulties for pictures)

And the other one, is the unnamed not-so-furry guy (yes, a male) who as of the 3rd will become a part of my family :) I know people find them ugly but hey... Once I worked with one, I've been wanting one. I just would prefer holding onto money for the vet care than the pet considering here, these guys cost more than the vet does! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pictures:
1. Honey the 3 month old mama.
2, 3, and 4. The baby! He/she was the size of her tummy for pete sakes...
5, 6, 7. The newcomer!

My plan!

I plan to lay a tarp in the spare room, covering part of the walls as well (about an inch or two up) to keep the carpet clear of pee and poo.

Then laying down homemade carefresh bedding, along with the lovely polar fleece pieces I may make into tunnels and such.

I will also be making a flour and water based paper mache to make smaller tunnels, that will be completely non toxic!

I can get huge amounts of timothy hay, and plan to have the baby with mama unless it happens to be a boy... Then the introduction to the nameless boy will be in need although they'll be living side by side. If they don't get along I'll divide the room into thirds. The corners will have fleece covered cardboard, there will be tons of toys, ramps, etc!!

Half the room will be divided so the male has his own section, and Honey and her baby have theirs. The room, will be their cage!! lol.

For the warm part of spring, before the boiling hot of summer I will be having them outside in the nice green grass (the male in the shade) I will also be gardening... lettuce, carrots, cilantro, parsely...

I'm decking it ALL OUT for my guineas :cool: This is done on a budget and will be great for ANY small critter owner, all of the ideas are allowed to be used - don't need my permission. Everything, is either cheap, or easily obtained from your garage or household.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh my, can I have them? :) They are so cute! And very spoiled!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha well if she had more than one baby I'd be begging someone to take one home x.x hehe!!! And darn rights will they be spoiled :p I love going all out for my animals. (sitting behind me in the other room is Shiloh in his 20 gallon aaaallll to himself- *cough* :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hehe! Yup, its hard not too spoil!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup :lol: but hey, anyone says I am CRUEL TO MY ANIMALS I'll post tons of pictures and be all "cruelty? I'd hate to see what you put YOUR animals through you hippy" :lol: I tend to go all out and make life great for my pets. If I cannot provide it I am a stickler for who can (my friend did for Ginger aka Creature and Panda!) then I know they got great homes :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You are legit my pet care idol. You just do everything you can for them! I was reading about how those "standard size" rabbit cages are way too small for guinea pigs since they're so social. If they aren't territorial you should try making part of the separating wall like, cage bars so they can see and smell each other, like they do for horse stalls. xD I love your hairless guy, they are freaking awesome.
Also REALLY glad to hear that everything turned out okay for Creature and Panda :3

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Except then they might mate through the bars.

This is a plan I've had for a long time to do for my ratties! Except my boys are so lazy that I don't think they'd appreciate it. :p Plus, so much cleaning...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was reading about how those "standard size" rabbit cages are way too small for guinea pigs since they're so social.
Those cages are way to small for rabbits too! :-(

What a surprise that Honey was pregnant! Thank goodness she was able to deliver a safe and healthy baby. :)

I'm glad your friend was able to take in Creature and Panda, so that Creature will get the required vet care. However... I'm confused on why you would take in another Guinea pig when you had re-home Creature because you didn't have money for vet care? Let alone a male who will need to be neutered, which can be pricey. Perhaps your money situation has changed, I don't know. Either way definetely start putting money away for a "vet fund".

In case you don't already know, you need to wait three to four weeks after the neuter surgery before you put the male with Honey. This is to make sure the sperm is out of his system.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Mate through the bars? Ew, that's gross, never thought of that. Nevermind.

Those cages are way to small for rabbits too! :-(
Lol, yes I know that now. I had my bunny in one of those when I was like, 9. Needless to say I won't get another one until I actually can care for one properly :p

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skinnys CANNOT be nuetered as in their genetics it WILL kill them. I asked a skinny breeder lol. Anesthesia is so dangerous for them...more than regular guineas :-( poor babies.

Having healthy guineas, is different than having sick guineas. Since I got them, they got healthier, yes, but she could be diabetic for all we know which will be pricey. My money situation IS getting better, but it will be easier on me to have only healthy guineas than "might be sick, might have kidney failure, might have this, might have that, might need meds" problem. A check up is between 60.00 and 80.00. A medical problem 200.00 to 1000.00. Which is why I do not intend to breed her, or the baby, or the male.

LionCalie, were you even there when I was talking about Creature (Ginger) when I first got her? How I tried SO hard during that time to get her to a vet and couldn't? Now, my friend wanted her so badly and they bonded unlike with me... And I couldn't separate her from her buddy Panda, so they are staying together. I just made her promise one thing: take her to a vet. :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yea, Creature was pretty muched dumped on her with months, years? of neglect, it was really sad :(

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yep :-( I found out... her diet was RABBIT pellets, "some" hay... once I got her she had ALL her veggies, guinea pellets, water always topped up never ever empty... On a good note my friend is doing the same and maybe in the next hour will we hear from her about how the appointment with the vet went!! =D

Anyhow, this time I asked the owner of the skinny what his diet is, and I'm making sure to get hay for him since the "he nibbles" and "pellets and veggies" I kind of clued in he needs stuff to chew up :) I get him today!! My friend offered to get him since she is in edmonton right now.

Anyways....

First picture is the fabric I pulled out. Unfortunately my ipod is terrible for pictures, destroyed this picture carity. There is: 1. supposed to be green, is a light fabric.
Second is bamboo - very very soft!
Next one is black polar fleece.... the bamboo is still softer ;-)
The pink one is a fluffy one.. very soft, but only on one side (much like faux fur).
Purple silk is the fifth one.
The last one is a thick plaid.

1. I found boxes that were short - which will be very good for my idea of having ramps leading to little "levels", which aids in exploration. I try to make sure the boxed were never used for raw foods such as seafood and meat.

2. You'll want to fold the box so the fabric can fit around it.

3. It's like wrapping a present - you can choose what method you want to use. Try to stay away from stuff like wood glue. I do show staples, but it is not for this part. I used hot glue, which I will note The guineas cannot get to unless they determine to chew continuously. Which in this time you will want to replace it anyways. You can also try sewing it, but I'm not that good :)

4. Make as many as you want. I used the softer fabrics... such as the pink "faux fur" and then for the male, the bamboo.

5. If using hot glue, you'll want to keep a good inch or two above the fabric to avoid burning it, or melting it (depending what you use). Never press hard on the outside piece to "make it stick". You want to rub it along the glue line, to make sure it sticks without going through to the other side. This'll keep a clean and soft look on the outside rather than a hard globby mess.

Next post will be on making homemade carefresh bedding :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Note: I got a message from my friend. Creature (aka Ginger) had scurvy, but needs to gain more weight (even at being 2.2 pounds, she is big and needs more weight). I'm very happy about that :) all she needed was TLC and she had that - and now she gets a good home too!!

So, here is the bedding I am making. It's simple, just takes a little extra time and effort than going to a store and paying for it. In the long run, however, it will save money. I'd rather do the work then go over budget :)

1. If you know your newspaper is made with vegetable oil based ink (or something like it), which most newspapers and prints use now because it is "environmentally friendly" and cheaper, then use those. Otherwise stick to white, plain computer paper. If you want to dye your bedding, use food coloring.

2. You'll need a bin, or a bucket. Depending on how much you need. Fill with hot water, then lay in strips of paper. If the water is too hot for your hands, use a spoon to mush it about.

3. You want to tear it up into smaller pieces - you'll see that the fibers are still dry, which is why smaller pieces is better. Some people use blenders... I used my hands. :lol:

4. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then proceed to drain the water from the bucket/bin. You might want to use a colander, and something beneath it to catch any escaping pieces of mushy paper. Last thing you need is to clog your drain!! :eek:

5. Squeeze as much water out of the paper as you can. I made mine into balls, then divided them up afterwards to squeeze more water out.

6. Not sure if you can use the dryer. But I suspect if you could, you'd want to use low heat low tumble dry. The slower you dry it, the softer it will be. So don't microwave it dry!! :lol: For my method, I put it on a cookie sheet and into the oven. You can use a cookie rack on a sheet, or let it dry in the sun. Summer time just put it outside and it should dry on it's own.

7. You'll want to turn it now and then, and keep checking on it. It can take up to if not more than 2 hours for this to be completed, by oven. 225 F is what you want, for an even, slow, non-burning heat. If the paper goes crispy, it'll be worse than wood chips and can hurt your critters.

And just in case someone is silly...
Caution! Contents in oven may be hot. Take precautions when turning bedding, and removing from oven. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Those lucky little guineas :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
lol. I finished 4 boxes....2 for each side (male side, female side). The girls get black, pink and purple, and he got green and black. I have the bedding baking right now lol. A small batch, but it's to see how well it works, what I want to change, etc. So far, I want to try different papers, and different ways to dry.

edit: I decided to put it in the oven, and just now took it out. Still a bit damp, but I want it to air dry now, to avoid it from getting crispy on the pan. My next step, is to wait for it to dry, then put it in a pillow case and pound on it (use whatever you want for this method...fist, foot, stick, hammer...) to loosen the fibers amd make it softer.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Those guineas are so cute and lucky to have you. I took a care of the one a few years ago when someone had to leave for a few weeks. I was driving my husband crazy though because i keep kissing that guinea all the time , they are so cute :)
You having a fan there lol

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha thanks ^.^ After work tonight, I get my skinny piggy!!!!!! Tomorrow my roomie will be gone so probably tomorrow or the day after the room will be converted. okay kay well MOST of the room. My bf won't let me convert the closet into the cuddle room for Honey and her baby >.> Right now, I have a "hay trough" which is quite big. I might divide it in half, or something. Or not. :lol: I have a "house" for the skinny piggy, plus starting to make ramps for the levels (the fabric boxes)

I kiss mine all the time pfft no different than any other animal :lol:

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I was wondering what you were using the boxes for lol. This sounds so adorable :D
When will you know the gender of the baby? :eek:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well you should be able to sex the baby right away yes? Be sure to separate it from momma around four weeks if it's a he!

What cuties! And I'm sooo jealous of your skinny. He's absolutely precious.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, the bedding has air dried over night, and is generally soft... some people who put it in the oven for 2 hours, tend to have it rock hard! I put it in for an hour constantly turning it over, then removed and let air dry. Next step will be to put it in a bag or pillow case and beat it... making it softer by loosening the fibers :)

Anyways, when I get the room half set up tomorrow, I will sex the baby. We'll have two pics of day old babies up, and see what he/she seems to lean to. We think it might be a boy :eek: if so, that is okay! My friend, is offering her sweet, gentle, fluffy boy she got with the prego female, to be the skinny's new buddy.

Oh, the skinny's name is Oliver :3

Today I will be doing:
- More bedding. If I can find more paper!!
- Tunnels: chicken mesh with fabric around it. Double fabric for the bottom! This'll ensure durability, shape, and comfort.
- divider. Gotta keep Honey and her baby away from the males! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts