Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds similar to the Hot water & Cold windshield rule right? It's because it's the same rule.

Unfortunately I wasn't thinking today while I was trying to start my second round of cleaning by boiling for the residue ridden 5 gallon. The apartment has been cold all day and I didn't stop to think that the tank would be cold too.

I fill the bottom with boiling water, turn around for 15 seconds then hear a crack.

I check under my shoes because it sounded like I'd stepped on a cracker but then I hear running water. Then I turn to find my tank leaking all over the kitchen divider and a huge crack that spans almost the entire front of the tank.

FML.

Fortunately I'm picking up my sister's spare tank on Tuesday because she has a 5, a 10, and a 15. All empty. I'm taking her 5 because she's gonna start up her 10 soon.

So yeah. For all my fellow dim and dull crayons out there take head of my stupidity and pour warm water, then hot, then boiling water in your tank IN THAT ORDER if you're boiling it to clean it in during the winter.

Sincerely,
BIGIDIOT

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oh my! I never would have thought of that!! Sorry your tank had to break for us to learn that though :/

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use any boiling water-just warm/tepid water is all that is needed to clean-for really bad stuff use a small amount of diluted bleach or vinegar or even salt...too hot of water can also destroy seals and you end up with a leaking tank....some acrylic tanks can wrap with boiling water.
Extreme heat can also cause chemical reaction and leaching in some plastic/acrylic containers.....so be careful......

Sorry about your tank and mess...that bites......

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'd used near-scalding tap water (it comes out burning hot) to clean it before I used it thinking the sun had gotten rid of all the bleach residue after sunning it for two-three weeks straight in the summer but apparently not. So that's why I decided to tear it back down again and boil it since scalding hadn't gotten rid of the remaining residue after sunning and previous boiling done during the summer.

I'm cleaning out the tank I'm getting from my sister with vinegar and salt. Maybe some lemon juice as well, to make sure there's no residue. =] I'll only be cleaning hers with scalding water after I let it warm inside. =] No more boiling for me. =] If it gets to that point ever again I'll just buy a new tank. XD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts