Betta Fish Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 4170 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,022 (Edited)
These boys have been pooping machines tonight. Better out than in right?! (little Shrek humor). Coconut was all curled up in terra cotta pot. How can you be so cute you little chomper! Koda sportin his new gill look :( Poor baby but still has a smile. Love him. Have been doing 1-2 spot vacuums a day to clean up any left over food (not any thanks to you know who!) and to keep any waste or debris picked up. Having about 1/2 to 1 gallon of evaporation a day. I guess that is typical with fans. Running small fan directed on surface most all of time. Daily outside temps in low to mid 90s. East Tn summers! Tank temp has stayed very good always below 68 and drops several degrees more at night which is typical in a natural habitat. They are really easy to care for. A feeding, spot vac, temp ck, and nightly water add takes about 15 min. Of course they get doted on lots during day too. Both seem to be claiming fave parts of tank. Koda loves to perch on plants or decor while Coconut likes to burror under moss and snuggle in. Very different personalities. Koda still a bit shy but realizes the big hand in tank means food and heads to his dish.

Attachments

Reactions: Sadist

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
They are lovely. It is good you got that new tank. This way neither claimed an entire tank as his territory, you know? It was new to both of them. Isn't it funny to have to mentally switch gears and think about how to COOL a tank? Hehehe! I am always satisfied to see the temp at 80F with my bettas. I would have to retrain my brain not to freak out seeing a thermometer in the 60's. Koda really is the perfect name for him. It suits him. Around a year is when you can tell male from female... I think I read that.... I am just calling them guys for now.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,025 (Edited)
Thanks. The cooling mentality was a different thought. Like you said we are always concerned with keeping warm ;) Hopefully around 7-8 months I can tell for sure. Just easier to call him until then. Koda's body seems longer and thinner than Coconut's was at that age. Sometimes I wonder if Coconut could be a girl with that big belly. What I need is an eggy axolotl hahaha!

Just got caught in most horrendous pop up thunderstorm coming out of petco. I am as wet as had been in aquarium ☔��⚡

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,026
Petco's gorgeous paradise betta and gorgeous koi saw today. Can't believe I left without either. Incredibly beautiful!

I am really considering a leopard gecko though. Held another today. Really love them. Got me a couple more books at used book store. Saw a tank with screen at thrift store could get cheap. Been pricing supplies. If I do decide to get one, that will be last addition to the J family.I think maximum capacity. Really enjoy reptiles and kindof nice thinking of one dry tank lol. Wrestling. Take commitments seriously. Empty dresser space...lost my mind..gone goofy for geckos 🐊

Attachments

Reactions: Autumncrossing

·
Registered
696 Posts
WOW!!! Both so beautiful.. Can't believe those are petco bettas. Geckos do seem fun, I've personally never had one. I had a bearded dragon once, it was super friendly. Just loved perching on my shoulder all day and enjoyed strawberries, it was hilarious because she'd get them smeared all over her face lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,028
That would be cute

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I want that Koi. No, really. XD I need to talk to my parents! *dies* So pretty. He looks more like a Samurai, don't you think?

(It's a no to the Koi ;-;)

ETA: I want a gecko, too. Lil's Leo's are so cuuuttteeeee!

Reactions: themamaj

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,030
Yes he was gorgeous! Sort of patriot too ;)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,031
My oh my last nights blood worms must have been very good for the gi tract! Productive day while out lol. I found some smaller night crawlers at Walmart so cut up a whole one for dinner (not mine ate spaghetti but close 😉). Divided between Coconut and Koda. Boy they must have smelled the meat as out they came from hides in a hurry. Thought you might be interested in how they eat. It is really pretty fascinating in that they use suction to pull food in. They do have little teeth but use them more to help keep food in mouth and swollow. Sometimes you will see them spinning food around in mouth and the process of swallowing they jerk it down. Pretty funny. Of course "bigmouth" wants to suck down about 3 bites in 1. Loosen your belt big guy that waist line is growing! Koda has his first little worm bite tummy bulges. So cute. Coconut ate ALL of his dinner and came to check out Koda's. He did really good too but had a few bites left. I suctioned up left overs because I really dont want Coconut to make himself sick. Something I read said their tummies full should bulge like head. I think we are there. Haha. Koda is catching up.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,032
Girls Night Spotlight

Peppermint got released with the ladies tonight. Holding my breath but all calm on horizon. Added some more dwarf lettuce and salvina. It seems to grow great in Flares tank so I move it as multiplies. Still hope to get some more anarchias to fill in. So hard to get clear picture of all girls together. Here's a funny of all piled up for feeding time and some selfies of each of girls. Alpha Misty, Sassafras, Millie, Emma and Peppermint. I think Millie and Emma have had some nippy fins but overall everyone doing well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ah yes, those Leopard Geckos. They are so cute. I really fall for the yellowish ones.

I love that axi video! Neat to see them eat. Their legs are so skinny compared to their body. I just giggle over that and their gill frills. What could be cuter!?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,034
I read that genetics plays a big part in gill frill development but obviously water quality can play a role as well. Coconut's gills are growing longer and fluffier with age. They started out smaller so wondered how long they would get. Hopeful that Koda's will also grow with age. Fortunately the fact that he is still a juvenile, the gills should regenerate faster. Pretty amazing that their bodies can regenerate cell growth.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,035
Walmart had gotten in a new shipment of bettas. They had some really pretty veil tails. One had a huge bubble nest that thrilled me to see. I saw some beautiful orange, a yellow and a multi that were stunning. There were several there from previous times. You can always tell by the water. Two were in such bad condition. Both were crowntails. A little turquoise one was so clamped and struggling with all might to wiggle to surface. I observed him for some time and really debated about bringing him home to work with. On further eval, he look to have signs of columaris. I have meds on hand that could possible treat but it is so contagious. I didn't want to risk any possibility of contaminating fish room so walked away. Heart wrenching.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
(((hugs))) It is heart wrenching. Poor baby. He waited and waited for the human that never came. :( They're always so excited at first, then hopeful. It is so awful to see bettas who have been waiting so long they have given up. They get that distant look. Ugh. Such special little fish. I asked Antigua how anyone could have a favorite fish other than a betta.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,037 (Edited)
Antiqua is a very wise fish. Always gets me when I am in a store when asked "oh what kind of fish do you keep?" When I enthusiastically say bettas they usually get the deer look and say "oh"...and walk away like not real fish. Kills me :frustrated: Maybe why extra tenderhearted towards ones in need. I wish they could all have an opportunity to live a long happy life.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Oscars are supposed to have big puppy dog personalities, if you compare betta personalities to cats. Bettas can live in little 5 gallon tanks, though, and oscars (from what I've read) need metal heaters because their clumbsiness breaks and crashes everything in the tank. I really feel for all those baby oscars I see at pet stores (even at the walmart fish sections) just as much as for the bettas. Most will not have adequate tanks or room to swim/cleanliness/etc. On the way to camp today, I started coaching the daughter on polite ways to tell people they aren't carrying for their fish correctly. "I think he'd like more room to swim. A five gallon tank with a filter is also easier to keep clean." Hehe. The camp is at her school that she starts this year, and I noticed one of the teachers had a betta in a teacup. It looks like he used to be in a vase with a peace lily, but the lily's water was cleaner than the teacup. I really wanted to say something, but they were in the middle of class (toured during school hours in the spring). I really wanted to bring in a 5 gallon tank with heater, filter, a water sprite clipping, and a light to keep the water sprite alive. Aqua Aurora's water sprite does really well with her light, so just one clipping would take over as long as the fish stayed alive and kept it fertilized. Oh! I think a mystery snail or two in a 10 gallon would actually be more fascinating to children. They have pretty colors and lots of squishy parts that stick out, and you can see them crawl on the glass and such. Sorry for the ramble; maybe I should have put all this in my own journal!

I really love all the pictures and the video of the axolotls eating! Oo axolotl would make a great classroom pet, too. Classrooms are usually kept at a set 72 temperature, so a fan system would keep the water cool enough unless the school turns off central air at night or something.

Reactions: themamaj

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,039
Super hot summer day...what to do?! How about splash pad at zoo. Happen to see that the giraffe actually was coming to platform to eat today so ran over for a chance to feed. So tickled he got to do this. How amazing to be that close!

2021 - 2040 of 4170 Posts