Betta Fish Forum banner

201 - 220 of 4170 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have heard many people say their bettas get attached to the other ones they see. They might be grumpy about their space, but look how much they love their people. I think they get use to seeing their betta friends, friends as long as there is a nice divider, LOL. Good fences make good neighbors. ;) He probably is wondering where Crimson went, at least, if nothing else.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
The intake is all I can think of because nothing but live plants and sand. I had changed him to a better filter which has a higher flow. I would imagine they do feel it but maybe just like a hair being pulled out for us. Hard to know. I'm going to do a water change on him before go. I just did small change Mon but figured better to keep water really clean while has healing fin. He got his vitamin in his food today so maybe he will feel more like himself later. Hard to know with these moody guys ;)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Bettas are territorial, and in the wild I imagine they have their little claim right next to someone else's claim. I guess they'd get used to having a neighbor there, and it might be stressful when the neighbor passes. Who knows what will move in next?! Will it be something bigger that will try to take some of my territory?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I bet you are right. My husband checked Bryant several times and said he was swimming around fine. I did water change and put his card up so he would be used to that. Thanks for encouragement.

On funny side. Hubby called all flustered because his "job" was turn off the fish lights. He said I just dont know how you do this! Lolol...I push the switch :) Love him!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Petco frye????

I stopped part way to Nashville at a Petco to stretch my legs. Ok well to see fish too. I went over and looked at display. Shipment day because tons bettas. Looked on bottom shelf at baby bettas. I about flipped. This one was a frye not a baby it looked like. I have never seen one that small. He/she didn't even have hardly a color tip. So cute though! Bubble shows some reference of size but so tiny!!! Has Petco gone to selling fish this small? Had to take a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yes, they do sell them that small :-( Usually when I see them that size, they're dead. I move the dead or dying ones over to the sink so they can see when they do water changes.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Most of time I will take them direct to manager or clerk, but have done same thing when cant find anyone. Any guess how old little guy could be?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I would guess 4-6 weeks but that's judging by pictures on the internet of the average fry, not sickly ones stuck in cups full of growth-stunting hormones and ammonia.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Nashville on Tour

Home of Country Music, Grand Old Opry and new fish stores to explore! I found one store that was really fun to see. It was huge and had big selection of salt and freshwater fish. Nice plants and every supply you think of. So knowing that guess what display I couldn't wait to see???? The bettas of course. They had a drip acclimate system set up which I was impressed with. Bettas were mostly veil tails. Here are a few pretty ones I ran across.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Guppies

These cute guys were harder to catch on photos than betta. Very cute and colorful. Wish I could have gotten a picture of who group of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Betta #3. There is no way daughter would have let me leave the store without that PINK betta.

I am happy to see that display! Wow! Hopefully this will catch on. Now if only the water was heated and maybe a live plant that doesn't need substrate. Like an anubias. I think they would sell more plants if people saw the anubias in there with the betta, right? Or a marimo in with the betta. I would have been thrilled to see that display though, it is a step in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
The pink one sure was pretty! Can I get some guppy education? The two I posted are they males? I know the females are typically not as vibrant and have a fuller abdomen and can have a dark spot. Females are typically bigger? I am still not able to recognize the caudal fin difference.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
They look like males to me. See how pointy that fin is on the bottom? Narrow and pointy.

You have me wanting Panda Cories. :) If you need groups of 6 though, do you buy all 6 at once? I was wondering how that works since people say to add a fish or two at a time so the filter can adjust.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Loving your pictures!!!

Nikolai sure has the prettiest color, you are a lucky betta owner! ;)

Thank you Innerbeauty! He is sitting here looking at me type. I got back from my trip today and was so happy to see each of my buddies!
Ben, Hope, Chance, Sam, and Bob have had plant parties while I have been gone. Hmm missed a meal so uprooted your plants to complain? Funny fishes!

I put some aquarium sealant on my used 10 gallon I had. Hoping to get Nikolai transferred over to it by Tues or Wed. I picked up a glass top for that tank and I think I will use the clip utility lights over it for now. Maybe if LED strips go ridiculously cheap during the holidays I may take the plunge and get one at some point. I think I want to do black sand in his tank so it would really make his colors stand out. Also pondering what type of plants to do.

Speaking of rearranging, I am still wrestling with who to move to Crimson's old tank. I am leaning toward Blizzard since he is also a long finned guy. I got him and Bryant about the same time so maybe they would be good friends. Of course, if I move Blizzard then his 2.5 is open. Hmm need to move someone in there from a 1.5 and then the 1.5 will be open for Millie or Melia. I see a lot of moving lol. It's ok. Happy fishes=Happy Mama

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Oh and thankfully Bryant is back to his happy normal self and his fin that was torn has new growth. I think a few days off did us both good to have some R&R.. Well I was doing good until my daughter called from camp and said split the beam on a side aerial and popped two ribs out of place. I guess she must have hit the beam with her side on way down. Glad i didn't see it! The trainer popped them back in and she went and did bars. Very sore today but glad to have her home in one piece! When you watch gymnastic on tv, remember the parents!! It is rather nerve wracking seeing your child flip over hard objects and go flying through the air!! She loves it, as well as, has a great talent. Her goal is to get into an SEC gymnastics program for college. Here is a picture of one of her bar dismounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
One more really cool picture of her doing a jump

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Yes you can add all 6 at once but use Stability for 7 days. Works great. Keeps amonia from spiking with extra load

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Are you talking about the guppies anal fin? Maybe where getting confused as was comparing caudal fins

201 - 220 of 4170 Posts