Betta Fish Forum banner

3961 - 3980 of 4170 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No convincing here :laugh: I don't keep small animals because they would have to stay in my room, and they would keep me up at night (super light sleeper), and any birds would have to live outside...it has been said we might get chickens eventually.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,963
Haha no bird takers it seems. I do love backyard birds!

·
Registered
162 Posts
No convincing here :laugh: I don't keep small animals because they would have to stay in my room, and they would keep me up at night (super light sleeper), and any birds would have to live outside...it has been said we might get chickens eventually.
I miss my hens. It was so nice to just go outside for eggs. Unfortunately I don't have a yard or a willing land lady. lol. When I get into a different place I hope to have chickens again tho.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,966
One of my coworkers has hens. I dont know the type but it looks like they have little boots on with their leg feathers. So cute!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
After working at Petsmart I will never keep indoor birds. Too much noise, and too much mess!

I miss my hens. It was so nice to just go outside for eggs. Unfortunately I don't have a yard or a willing land lady. lol. When I get into a different place I hope to have chickens again tho.
That is why my Mom wants to keep chickens, for the eggs. She use to keep them a long time ago, but hasn't since she got married. Now that we live on a small farm it is possible again.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
My absolute favorite chicken is my friends SilkyxSomething; it is super soft and fluffy, but reddish speckled instead of white. Beautiful!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,969
We have a new Rural King store here in town that came about a year ago. That is one of the highlights of that store is they have live baby chicks. Sometimes I go in there just to get my animal fix haha. They also have really cute baby bunnies.

An update on the fish here. Edwards eye and infection look quite a bit better. Going to do another water change and another round of meds on him to see if we can now start fin recovery. Jameson has times where he is more active and I think he is doing better and then times where I am not so sure. He gets another water change and another dose of Kanaplex today. Marlie seems some better but still times I think she is going down. I am wondering if age is playing a factor for her since she is the oldest fish in the room now. Thankfully Blaze, Pumpkin, Flame, Freedom and new boy are all still healthy. I have got to come up with a name for new boy. Will attach a picture and maybe you all can help me. Storm seems about the same. He eats well and looks ok physically. Finley got another water change, a blue bath, new indian almond leave, epson salt, garlic and one more round of med last night. I am pulling out the big guns for this boy. He has kindof become my special boy. Not only from the special need stand point but my son bought him for me and he was a rescue. You know all of those things make that attachment all the stronger. He looks really good and I think the popeye is resolved but the eye cloud will not go away. One thought that crossed my mind last night was if he has developed a cataract in that eye. With all the meds I have treated him with I should have seen eye cloud in and of itself resolve. I will put a picture of it on here and maybe you all can give me your thoughts as well. I really love this boy. I want him to be healthy. Well all of them to be healthy! Creamsicle has sadly come down with significant dropsy. That was another one I am totally fine and wham bloated and major pineconing. I am afraid that one I will loose soon. Very heartbreaking.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,970
Finley good eye and cloud eye. I have put Finley through round of Tetracycline. No real change so went to Triple Sulfate. Last night was 3rd dose. No real change with eye. Any suggestions appreciated. New boy betta. Let me know if name ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I wonder if it's something like cataracts. It seems it would have cleared up by now if not. How is he acting? Does he have problems with his vision (he must). I would probably just keep his water clean. And love him. Lots of love.

The new boy is lovely!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,972
He does have trouble seeing. He was having a hard time finding his food last night when shrimp were floating down in water on that side. He almost always keeps good eye to front of tank. I guess that makes sense. I definitely love him no matter what.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,973
Jameson seems to be feeling better. He is chasing the catfish. That makes me smile. His belly still is a little bloated but improving. Maybe on right track. Jameson Alexander you better heal up soon or I am pulling your igloo. That will motivate him. Haha

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,974
Ok have got a name for new boy!...Titan. What was so funny was that I was watching a Brian Barczyk video and one of his snakes was named Titan. I thought oh I like that name and Tennessee Titans have some red white and blue. Lol the funny ways you come up with names. Getting that label maker out. I think that is the longest I have ever gone without a name.

Sadly, Creamsicle passed away tonight. She will be missed especially by Freedom. He sure loved to swim next to her. They had a neat interaction with one another. Pondering moving his tank to a different spot but not sure yet. I ended up tossing everything in her tank, plants substrate and all. I hate to loose a good batch of plants but I am over the illnesses and not taking any chances. Any sick tanks will be bleached and stored for awhile.

Working my way through water changes and making sure everyone got their vitamins added. I need to do another frozen food run. I typically add a drop or so of vitachem to my cubes when I feed but since I haven't fed as much frozen lately, I added a dose direct to the tank this week. It is a good immunity boost. I have slacked off on the vitamins a bit but I think I am going to get back on that routine and maybe go back to doing the probiotic again too.

On a positive note, I had messaged several of my reptile breeders today. I had included all of their contact info in the description of my video so that if someone was looking for a reputable breeder for a specific animal, they would have a good contact. I definitely recommend the breeders I have used for quality, healthy animals and all of them have kept in contact with me after the animal came home. That is something I really appreciate because there are always questions that come up. I think from a breeder stand point, or it would be for me anyway, that they appreciate seeing their animal in a new home doing well. I know it tickles me to see my friends beardie growing and doing so well. That makes you feel like you made a difference in the investments you made caring for that animal and trying to give it a good start. Anyway, they have all messaged me back today very excited about the updates on animals and were very complimentary of the video. That really meant a lot to me. I think several of them will be at the next Repticon show in Feb so I hope to touch base with them again then. The video seems to be doing well and starting to rank so that is super neat. If I can get through all the water changes and tank cleans this weekend, hopefully I can start working on my next project. Hubby told me the other day, do you really enjoy doing all this? I said oh yeah. He knows how many hours I put in caring for the animals and then planning, researching and filming. Have been working lots of hours here lately doing extra fish work too but it is all a labor of love. Never work when you are doing something you love :) So thank you so much to all of you for reading the journal, watching videos and loving my animals along side me. I am so grateful for each of you! Oh we finally got a little dusting of snow tonight. Happy Dance! Quit laughing Tealight us southerners long for real snow haha.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,975
All the tanks deep cleaned and you can see my floor. Definitely picture worthy lol. I even cleaned the drawers! Of course something about clean tanks is cleansing for animals. I have had lots of surprises today. Oh well nice while it lasted. Job security;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,976 (Edited)
The tanks...A few things different. I actually flipped Freedom's wood upside down. It made a nice tree. Of course Marlie, Blaze and Titan have been turned sideways on shelf to accommodate the larger tanks. Edward's plants are really filling in. I added additional hides for Sofie and Tango. They have a regular and moist hide on hot side and a hide on cold side. I wasn't sure if I had showed you my bioactive tanks in awhile. The plants have really taken off and I am really pleased with the tanks so far. I have also seen evidence of isopod breeding which is great. The babies look like little tiny blue rolly pollies. Bear's tank is functional but very plain. I would like to do him a bioactive this year with some live plants.

Have been researching some additional animals. Repticon is coming in Feb. I am pretty excited about that. You probably will see some new faces this year :)

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just love your fish room. I wish I had space for one. I think I need to keep my fish number at three for now for my landlady's sanity.. She doesn't know I bought two more fish or the 29G....

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,980
Hope you all are having a good week/weekend. The fish seem to be on the mend here which is good. I am all for progress! The cory cats are super active tonight. It is totally annoying Jameson which is pretty funny to watch. If fish could roll eyes I'm sure he would be rolling them.

We did get a little snow this week. Between that and the cold temps and ice it knocked out school for the week which meant I was off too. We work on the same schedule as our local schools. Nice to have some down time and enjoy a cup of coffee. Other than continuing some house organization projects, I have been working on a new video which will be Chance's story. Have gone through tons of pictures. It has been bitter sweet but it amazes me looking back what an incredible fish he was. Chance took a rough start but overcame so many odds. I hope the video will be a special honor to him.

All the other animals are doing well. I tried Bear on a frozen thawed the other night. Nope! Not having it. The stinker even runs from them. Now put in a live and he eats right away. He is such a funny boy though. He likes to sniff it and then lay his head on it for a minute. He then dives in the substrate and will come back up and grab it. Now somehow I have to figure out how to convince him that frozen thawed is more fun. Got my work cut out for me haha!!

Pondering between several animals for Repticon in Feb. I have had some on the radar for quite awhile but trying to decide on which one may be quite the challenge. I hope it will be a good show.

3961 - 3980 of 4170 Posts