Betta Fish Forum banner
4121 - 4140 of 4179 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,122 · (Edited)
I made a little collage of Phil so you could see how much he has marbled over the past month. Really amazing and fun to see how genetics plays out. You know I have never had one loose color marbling only gain color. It would be cool if he ends up being a fish that changed in both ways. He still has his white lips and white belly. Other than that and a few fin tips, those blues have taken hold. Still a beautiful boy. Thought you might enjoy seeing the before and afters.

Attachments

Reactions: blueridge

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
oh wow! I love that transition from black to blue on the head and how the eyes stand out so well!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,124 ·
Lots of updates. Life has been unbelievably busy! I have been traveling a fair amount for son and for some reptile shows. In fact I got an opportunity last weekend to go to Repticon in Chattanooga and then get to spend the evening with my friends from Phantom Gecko. I got a 3 hour tour of their breeding facility and got to see and hold geckos I didn't even know existed. Such an incredible day! I have the tour on my youtube channel if you want to see it. They work with 20 different species.

My daughter just had her senior prom and graduates next week! Wow how time flies. I wanted to share one of her prom pictures because they turned out sooooo good. One of our teachers is also a professional photographer. She kept sending me pictures as she would edit and each got better. I was having a mom moment for sure by the end!

Lots of changes at work with boss retiring. I have two new bosses now. I think it will be a good thing though and just thankful I am not the one in charge! lol I have just a few weeks left for the school year. I am not sure what my summer schedule will entail just yet but hopefully it will be workable. Got to feed those animals you know!

In health news MIL has been back in hospital. She is doing better now which is a good thing. I hope she will do well for awhile now. My uncle is at MD Anderson. His cancer has gotten worse. We were hoping surgery Thursday but they have had to cancel it because chemo has him too weak. The concern is the longer we wait for surgery the tumors continue to grow. Please keep him in your prayers. His name is Bo. The other really crazy thing going on is my friends are currently going through a criminal trial for the murder of their daughter. She was shot by her ex-boyfriend. The closing arguments and jury decision is tomorrow. It is a super high profile case so you may have even seen it on the news. My friends have been through so much! I pray the jury sees the truth and my friends can finally have some closure after this dragging on for 2 years. Their daughter was a friend of my daughter's and I had spent a lot of time with family at gymnastics over the years. Crazy time in life! We live in a really uneventful city but I guess that shows things can happen anywhere.

The fish are all doing fine, but I did loose Pumpkin this week. She started hiding and not eating so I knew something was up but passed before much intervention. Bummed about that since I adored her little feisty attitude and beautiful koi pattern. She was so unique. I now have lonely tetras in a 10 gallon so I am on the look out for a new betta. I need to go to Petco tomorrow to meet my mouse guy so I may look there then. Would like a halfmoon or delta tail. Something showy...maybe a white fish! We will see what strikes me. I have to go back to Nashville midweek so if I don't see anything tomorrow I may go to the aquarium store and look later. The reptiles are all good. Littlefoot just finally went through another big shed. Those colors are popping! Pretty sure it is a "she" now. I have been taking her outside on her leash. She loves going out. The leash not so much though. lol She tolerates it. Chomper is also going through weird shedding patches. Bless him he looks so funny. Geckos all good. Cheerio, my steppe runner, came running out of his cave today and attacked a cricket. I totally cracked up. I guess he was hungry and tired of meal worms. Leos are good. Oscar the albino pacman is still a stubborn feeder but he is letting me do minimal assist feeds. He has gained weight which is great! My vet may come back over one day and bring me some dewormer just to make sure that isn't an issue to cause feeding problems. I think we are on the right track though. Oh I finally got my tomato frog. He is super cute and super tiny. I named him Bob. Bob the tomato from Veggie Tails. He does burrow some but for the most part is very visible and much more active than pacman frogs. That is a nice change to be able to see him. I got him to tong feed the first day but he isn't crazy about the tongs. The next couple of days, he wouldn't have anything to do with them so I just dropped the crickets in. He ate just fine. Wow a frog that eats on his own. What a concept!!

So that is pretty much life at the J house. I hope you all have a good week.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Glad to see everyone is doing good!
Sorry to hear about Pumpkin :sad: I recently went through a betta dying without much cause, and it stinks when you can't pinpoint the cause.
Also sending prayers your way for your family. Y'all have been through a lot recently <3

Reactions: themamaj

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,126 ·
Quick update since 1am and full weekend ahead. Back from Nashville tonight. Son and I took a really fun walk around his neighborhood. Lots of cool ponds, creeks around. Saw several turtles. Really beautiful day!!

I am fostering a baby dragon for my friend. It is bday gift for daughter but she will do the care. I thought maybe girl dragon but not so sure tonight looking at femoral pores. Dragon is anout 2.5 months and the sweetest! I got him/her just before left so guess what road trip with dragon! She did great and fun to travel with. I see more dragon road trips in future!! One funny is went through Chick-fil-a drive thru on way. Our store has real people taking orders at drive thru. Poor guy was so distracted seeing dragon in front seat. I could only imagine the stories he told that night. Dude you will never guess what this lady had in the drive thru 😂

And got a new betta in way home. I always stop at Petco halfway for rest stop. They had a bunch of white opals I almost picked but saw this guy who was a rose gold male. New title big price but I had $10 in reward bucks so that made him $10 so ok. Loved yellow and thought perfect for my community tank. Here is quick pix. Excuse sediment in water as just did water change prior to adding him. No name yet. Suggestions welcome. More pix to come later. Happy weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
He's a looker. I saw those rose gold guys at my Petco. They had so many bettas. I highly doubt they'll sell many. So sad.

I love the dragon. He/she is adorable!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,128 ·
When you drop your phone in the water bucket trying to get pictures of your fish....ugg! I think I am dried out now.

The good news is all tanks sparkling clean. Of course the guy coming tomorrow to replace our water heater might have sparked my productivity. You never know how long water cut off.

Here are a few more pictures of new boy. Decided to name him Butterscotch. Food names come out when hungry haha. He is doing well. He sure loved bloodworms tonight. He is a little less social than some of other boys but those gorgeous colors make up for it. I'll win him over.

Foster dragon is such a hoot. Oh that big baby beard 🤗

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,129 ·
A few bonus pictures. My daughter graduated this week! I officially have survived 3 kids through school now. Really proud of her. She is going to go to a community college for first two years then to university. It will be nice having her home a few more years. Seems like it has gone fast. We had a really nice dinner with friends and family. Here some of prom pictures too. So pretty!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Love the new betta's name! It's really cute ^.^

Also congrats for you daughter on graduating! That must have been exciting! Does she know what major she would like to do?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Congrats to your daughter! And you!

Butterscotch is a handsome guy. I'm sure he'll warm up to you. How could he not? :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,132 ·
Butterscotch is doing great. Funny how it doesn't take long for a betta to think they run the tank. He gets along fine with tetras but you know who is in charge.

Taking a break between water changes. It is so stinking hot in here tonight. Our downstairs air is out again. This is starting to be a summertime tradition but one I look fwd to breaking if we can get the air guy back again. Waiting on new coils and hopefully then back in business. Upstairs unit has been freezing up and then flooding the pan. Hubby has had to go siphon water off several times. He would never make it as a fish keeper. One tank does him in. haha.

I have been changing out filter media tonight as well. Do you ever just look at a sponge and think what in the world are you guys doing in here? I just changed this. Are you entertaining fish friends on the block? This can't be this dirty already.

Finley is lounging around throwing those big long fins over anything he can find to perch. I think he is mad I planted some of his floating water sprite. Speaking of filters, the intake sponge I had on Flame's tank had gotten plugged up the other day so I took it off. I didn't think the flow was turned up high but I guess it was and he managed to rip the end of his tail on intake. Poor guy. I wasn't too concerned about the tail but lately it has been looking a little frayed like early fin rot. I decided to go ahead and start him on a round of antibiotics so can get him back on right track. Storm is still hanging on. Love him I guess he is about 2 years old now. He has been languishing for about 3 or 4 weeks but amazingly has held on. He is still eating a little when he can. I know it wears him out but he still holds that little head up. Such a sweet boy. It is hard seeing them age. Everyone else is doing well.

On reptile end, Chomper is going through an embarrassing shed. Poor guy looks like a racoon with white strips on the darker scales. Oh I was at an exotic pet show last weekend here in town. Vendors were selling pet racoons for $400! Crazy! My gecko friends booth was next to theirs. I think they were about to go crazy with noise. Sorry my mind is everywhere but that show was a lot of fun. I got to help my friend pick out her first snake...a pastel jigsaw ball python. So pretty!! Grandson loved the show and somehow talked me into buying him a fuzzy/rex mouse with these huge ears. He is super cute but I had NO IDEA HOW STINKY!!!!! I thought no big deal, we have had hamsters, guinea pigs etc over the years. We had a closet full of supplies. Let me tell you a male mouse is a whole new ballgame! I have 2 carbon deoderizers, a soda box, and candle to diffuse. I may have to work on his mom more that he needs to take it to her house lol. Oh well the cuteness makes up for it plus a happy grandson. He is doing good caring for him.

Josh's Frogs had a booth at the show. I was super excited about that. Hornworms with no shipping and a great selection of tropical plants. I ended up getting a few extras to add to gecko tanks. I need to do a bioactive tank update because the plants have grown in so much and really have turned into great setups.

I could go on and on about stuff around the room but guess better get a few more things done before bed. Hope you all have a great Friday :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good to see I come back to the forum after a couple years and you're still at it! I love the new boy! I feel like PetCo loves coming up with new names to call color patterns and charge us more... Unfortunately that also means they make more money selling fewer fish, which is sad for the fist that people don't buy. I recently found my local PetCo in my new state and love their fish section. How many bettas and other creatures do you have now?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,134 ·
Only 8 bettas. Have downsized fish but upsized reptiles lol. 2 beardies, 2 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, 2 gargoyle geckos, kenyan sand boa, steppe runner lizard, red eyed croc skink, 2 pacman frogs, tomato frog and axolotl. I have a reptile rescue coming Tues. which is a Jackson chameleon. He has a real story behind him and excited to get him. I seem to do reptiles in 2s. haha. Have good friends that are gecko breeders. I am hoping to breed my cresties and gargoyles next year. They only have 2 eggs in a clutch so manageable. And while catching you up to speed, have been doing YouTube and Educational animal shows in spare time. Yes crazy but loving it!

Petco absolutely big names big money. Glad you found local store you like. Ours here is very good. The fish are healthy and store is good on water changes. I have seen some real pretty colorations out. That is always exciting to see.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,136 ·
It is water change day and I am sitting in my chair. You know what that means...updates. I just got through doing a big deep clean of Titan's tank and a complete overhaul for Finley. I was over his sand substrate which was just a mixture of stuff on hand when I first set up his tank. I went by aquarium store today to get some Ecocomplete and a few plants. I ended up walking through their pond section as well. The water lilies were so beautiful! They had one pond set up with some stacked stone that was really neat. I would love to do something like that in the backyard one day. My dad has a small pond and has done several tubs in the past. I may have to try a tub next summer. I bet that would be a lot of fun to do. I added some new hornwort and java moss for Finley. He is over the moon for something new to explore. The black substrate really shows off his colors. I sure enjoy planted tanks.

The reptiles are doing well. I weighed Oscar the other night and he is up to 51 grams can you believe it?! This is the stubborn pacman that wouldn't eat and had to be assist fed for 3 weeks. He was 13 grams when I got him so really pleased with his progress. My tomato frog, Bob, has found his voice. I kept thinking I was going crazy hearing noises but then they got more frequent and louder. I realized it was Bob. He has such a funny little croak. He is quite vocal at night. Chomper just rolls his eyes at him because that is usually his bedtime. haha

A few weeks back at Repticon, I ended up getting a new crestie. He is a tri-color harliquin with a partial pin stripe. His color patten is amazing when he is fired up. I got him from Gecko Junkie who is a TN based breeder. I have followed him for awhile and he has some great quality geckos. He gave me pictures of the parents and history about them as well. I hope to breed Echo and the new crestie, Milo, next year. If that goes well then I hope to expand to gargoyles and breed Skylyn and Snickers.

The other reptile project I have been working on for the last month was a new rescue. I had found a Jackson
Chameleon at a lps near me. It is a store I normally buy feeders in so in there all the time. This guy was so incredibly personable that he really caught my eye. His tail had been injured in an accident and unfortunately was turning necrotic. I started following him more closely and could see the progression. I talked with managers several times and wasn't making a lot of head way. The employees in there know me pretty well so they would get him out for me to hold. I was able to get some good pictures of the tail and emailed them to my vet. She gave me some estimates for care and we both knew that ultimately the tail looked like it would have to be amputated. After I got the email, I took that to the manager and finally convinced her. At that point I was trying to get the chameleon at a very reduced fee and foot the vet bill myself. The local manager ended up talking with the district manager and then corporate. Corporate ok'd the vet care and said would cover all the bills. I was able to go with the chameleon, Jack, for the initial vet consult. She agreed the tail amputation. She said overall he looked good aside from that and some mild mbd. She scheduled surgery for the next week. It was so hard having to let Jack go back to the store at that time to wait. In the meantime, I was scurrying around getting my tank and supplies put together so everything would be ready. The day came and I met the store worker at vet for surgery. My dr took Jack back. I was a complete wreck! I knew she was great no worries there, but Jack had been through so much already. He did fine though. She brought him out to me and said we were good to go. Love his heart he was drunk as a skunk from anesthesia. I held him in my lap in his carrier the whole way back. When we got home I put the critter keeper in the new tank open so he could crawl out when ready. It wasn't long he was up on his branches smiling at me. He hasn't looked back since. There is more to the story but I will keep that for another day. I have some video clips of putting tank together. I got sick on my trip so when I get a voice back I will try to get a new video out. I want to do another live video one day as well. I will let you know when. Well better get to feeding. I am getting the stink eye for lights out too. Sure love all these guys.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,137 ·
Pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Love seeing pictures of the critters! Milo is so cute~ Love Jack of course :wink:
Also I just realized that the gecko breeders that you have hung out with will be at the Repticon here in NC next weekend. I'll definitely have to check out what they have.

I can't believe I missed your live stream the other day on Youtube. I'm hoping I can catch the next one.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,139 ·
Phantom Gecko owners are William and Essie. You will love them. They always have Pangea and usually isopods for sale if need any. You will enjoy seeing some of their crestie breeders they bring to the show. Always have amazing cresties and gargoyles. They just had first clutch of leachianus and lots of cool breeding projects going on.Tell them you need the Mama J discount. They will crack up. Gecko Junkie breeder is Tristan. He is very nice. He would recognize me but doesnt know me as well yet. Let me know what all you see at the show!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Oh gosh! I wish Phantom Gecko would be there, because from what I've seen, from you, they have fantastic stuff. Gecko Junkie is going to be there. Interested to see what he'll have. I'm not too sure if she goes to TN, but Gecko Ranch will be there. I've been to her place and she has some amazing stuff. Really works with day geckos.

I would say I would take pictures to share, but I know I won't because I'll be too busy looking at everything. Hoping to meet the guys from Go Herping on Youtube; they are suppose to be there.
Will I come home with something. Who knows? :dunno:

4121 - 4140 of 4179 Posts