Betta Fish Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 4170 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,141
Oh you might get to see some tricolor cresties from Milo's line! He brings some pretty ball pythons too. Oh yay love Go Herping channel. Maybe they will have some of their new rescue animals from Emerald Scales.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hopefully they will. Although I believe they have sold quite a lot recently.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,143 (Edited)
Bob's got his bioactive substrate tonight. Simple but perfect for him. He loves his cork cave and enjoys hanging out under pothos.

Blueridge what is your take on the whole hydration issue for chameleons? The CB has several really good podcasts on Jacksons I have been listening to. It seems they suggest higher humidity at night. I thought of changing my misting to spray longer first thing in am and a longer one right before lights out with just very short spurts during day to maintain humidity. Do you think that is sufficient or do you think a fogger is needed overnight?

Today is mine and hubby's anniversary. 32 years! He needs an award to put up with me and all my animals :) We went out to get a milkshake tonight to celebrate and to pick up crickets. What all the couples do for year 32 haha. They were out of medium crickets so had to get smalls. Guy gave me 100 for price of 30 which was really nice. He told me a lot of people had come in the store asking about Jack. He said he gives them all my YouTube name. Love it. I thought my subscribers were coming up faster. I needed some more sphagnum moss so was looking at bettas while they checked in the back. Oh they had the cutest little cambodia crowntail girl! I have to say I have always had a weakness for those spikey fin girls. She had very clean, distinct color which I like. Must say no...oh but those extra tanks in the closet...no...Tealight where are you for big purses when I need one! Somehow I managed to get diverted to crickets at that point but not before I saw a lovely red veil tail. Have been missing my second fish I ever had, Crimson. I might like another "Crimson". Store was out of moss but truck coming tomorrow. I may have an errand out that way in the morning so if I do will stop back by. "Betta" take the purse just in case ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would be cautious about over doing it. Even if your humidity does fall a little during the day/night it is more important for your chameleon to stay hydrated then anything else. Plus if you mist too much or use a fogger too much, you could end up with mold/bacteria growing in your tank. You want to make sure it drys out in between misting. Of course you are starting off and trying to fine tone your enclosure, but once you find the right match I wouldn't mess with your system too much. Remember Bill said in episode 89 if you change one thing you might have to change something else. If you wanted to boost humidity, maybe try a semi-long shower in the afternoon, and a short one to come on at night (midnight). If you have a spray mister and the time you can always use that instead of the mister. That is what I do with my guy in the morning. If you don't already have a good sprayer I recommend getting a gallon pump sprayer. It goes a long way compared to the small ones they sell in the pet stores.

And congrats on 32 years! Your husband must have enjoyed going and getting crickets on the special day :laugh:

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,145
I think that is the thing that is bothering me is not knowing what the best system for my tank is right now. As far as humidity just what I already am doing, it never drops below upper 50s and of course spikes high with misting. The tank is drying out during the day but other than times where I hand mist, the actual mist system is set for very short spraying. Hubby programmed my timer and he was ultra conservatory because we were leaving right after set up and he didn't want to flood the house. Actually the whole mist king set up was major. It came in the day before we were to leave. We got most of it together with no issues but had to tweak my reservoir bucket connection a few times to get a tight seal. After all hooked up the nozzle would not spray. We checked and checked and all good. About the time we were at a loss as to what was wrong, the cover on the nozzle went flying off. Yep stupidity in action there. Never thought to check that lol! Hubby has major fears of house flooding so he was off on a hunt for a drainage tub to put under tank. He finally came back with one that was too small. He had measured the lip not the inside. For engineer hubby he was very frustrated. We improvised with bricks to set tank up higher. He had also zip tied my cords together so not bunched up. All that was fine but he wasn't happy with how one set was so went to cut the zip tie off. Well you probably know where this is headed but he cut the cord to the unit doing so. It had this huge spark and he fell back. I thought he had been shocked and it scared me to death. He was fine but it blew the whole system. At that point I knew we had to leave the next day and Jack was a week post op. I was in tears and hubby left the house upset. He finally came back with a new connection cord and managed to get it working again. Needless to say, I have been a bit on edge worrying about Jack the last two weeks. It was hard to get him, have the surgery then turn around and leave. My sitter was great and we talked on phone about every day. It has really been this week trying to get in routine after being gone and learning his normal behaviors. My temps are good with basking 80-82. Ambient mid 70s. Temp dropping to upper 60s at night. My umbrella plant, I replanted in organic soil and it is topped with river rocks to keep him out of dirt. My dripper is above it so water goes into plant. One potential issue is build up of water around the plant. I have an extra container under plant to catch that. I empty it about every two days but it has several inches of water in it when I do. I don't particularly like that but don't know best way to remedy just yet. I only occasionally see him drinking water off leaves. He seems to hate it when I spray and will run away from it. The store told me he didn't like to be sprayed. I have been trying to aim it high to mimic rain fall. That is one issue I don't know what to do since I know they need showers to encourage drinking. He is eating well. About 3-4 med crickets a day that I see and maybe more if hunts one. Poops look good and urates look healthy. He is extremely active and climbs all over tank. I am a bit concerned that I see him closing one eye periodically. It looks ok so wondered if some dust in it or something. I have tried to drip water over head to rinse but he still does it some. So anyway, trying to find balance and really wanting things to be just right for him. Thanks to any of you fish fans out there still reading this saga. Just like getting first betta, you stress over every little thing. When you get a system down, it is no big deal. In the meantime, working on my new mama jitters.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Your journey setting up the Mistking sounds about like mine, although no one cut the electrical cord. I watched a video from Mike Tytula on Youtube; he has one on how to set it up. I made my Dad watch it too, because he was going to be helping me. It took us a couple of times to get the seal just right. I was extremely worried about over doing it, because if you read the manual it says not to over tighten or you could strip the treads. We poured a little bit of water in the tube and turned it so the water was around the seal. Kept doing that and tightening the seal until no water came out. After getting all the lines set up and the reservoir filled I tried turning it on, but nothing happened. Went back and read the manual and realized you had to prime the pump :roll: Actually figuring out the timer was the hard part.

Sounds like you are getting everything down though. Maybe try and get the dripper to drip off the leaves and into the reservoir instead of into the plant. That way you don't over water it. I water my plants with my pump sprayer and then whatever they get from the misting. Most chameleons won't appreciate you spraying them. Bean doesn't like it and Kimchi never did.
I'm sure you already are, but I would keep an eye on his eye. But everything sounds like it is going good. You've done a lot for the little guy, and I'm sure he appreciates it~ Thank goodness he's in caring hands.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,147
Thanks! Yes we went by Mike's video as well. Good idea on dripper.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Getting caught up!

What a great thing you did for Jack. What a lucky guy.

Did you get new fishies? I am so tempted to get another but am trying to cut back.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,149
No not yet. I really like the red veil I saw. Still pondering.

Thank you on Jack. He is a special one. I had him outside again today. He loves it. This picture had us both smiling 😊

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,150
Boy this stinks! I went to feed Tide just a little while ago and didn't see him. I tapped on tank and no fish. Never good so I went to looking. I found him behind the rack. He was long gone. He must have jumped during the night. I sure hate that especially after all he overcame. I was just looking at him yesterday thinking how beautiful he had become. Storm is on the edge right now. He is no longer eating. Not sure how much longer I can stand to see him languish. This is definitely one of those frustrating fish days. I'm not sure what I want to do. I really liked the red veil tail I saw. It is amazing I have resisted this long. I need to get a mouse this week from my Petco buddy so could look there. Debating about getting another fish or continuing to downsize to allow for some reptile growth and upgrades. Of course those are planted tanks that are doing well so hate to take them down. Guess I will ponder.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm sorry about Tide. Poor boy.

I get wanting to downsize. I lost Freya and am taking her tank down. She had java fern that I hope will do well in another tank.

I have a soft spot in my heart for red vts though. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm sorry about Tide. Poor boy.

It's a hars decision to downsize, especially when there are plants doing well. I have a special place in my heart for red vts though. :)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,153
When I think I am going to bed at a decent hour. Lol Can you believe it is July the 1st? The 4th is around the corner. Wow the summer is flying by. July 1st is a special day because 3 years today, I found Chance. I wanted to do something to honor him so started a thread to celebrate bettas. Check it out and post your favorite betta picture and share a fun story about your fish. It can be a current or a past fish. Freedom is celebrating his 1 year gotcha day. He is a special guy as well and glad he is part of my fish family!

I went back to lps today where saw red veil tail. I thought if he is still there, I am bringing him home. Alas, he was gone. It is ok though because I am going to think he found a special home. I did decide to put Storm down the other day. It was time though that is never something that gets any easier to do. I am happy to have had him so long. He was a beautiful boy. I have the two tanks to take down now. I think I am going to pull the plants and combine them into some other tanks. I am wanting to move some things around and utilize my space a little better. This is a small room so always have to be creative.

I did do a couple of projects today. I made a large cricket bin which I am pretty tickled with. I cut out top of sterilite container and duck taped a piece of the craft mesh I use for tank dividers on top for ventilation. I added layers of egg crate, dry and fresh food, a wet paper towel for hydration and a lay box with some coconut fiber. I have to say, I have lost way fewer crickets having the coconut fiber in there. With any luck, maybe I can keep them alive longer in this. If any manage to breed that would be a perk too.

The other project was upgrading Spyro. He has had steady growth and eating consistently. I moved him to a medium size container and used the sphagnum moss this time as a substrate. This will be a good bridge for bioactive in the future. The moss hold humidity well so better for juveniles. He is a bit freaked out at the moment but I think he will appreciate the added space once he settles in a bit. Daughter helped me tape a quick video. On channel if interested.

Buttercup and Finley have been battling out on bubblenest duels. I don't think I will ever tire of seeing those. Always such a thrill to go to tank and see one! You know some of my cory cats are 3 years old now. Pretty cool to still see them doing well. Titan does a good job keeping them in line. haha

I am still open to another betta if the right one comes along. Guess I better get to bed or will never get up tomorrow! Have a blessed week and Happy 4th! Makes me think, the fish always love to hear the orchestra play Stars and Stripes Forever. Yeah we get a bit festive in the fish room :)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,154 (Edited)
Working on a few maintenance things around the room. Koda got a major overhaul cleaning. For one axolotl she sure is a poopy one. lol. Our water is super hard hear so have to regularly scrape at water level to keep residue at bay. I took all of her decor out and gave it a good scrubbing as well. Tank looks so pretty and sparkling clean now. I had added a background awhile back which is just one of those cling on ones. I think it helps her feel more secure plus a nice look.

Getting ready to hit a few more water changes and reptile tank cleans before bed. Grandson coming to stay this next week which will be fun. He is starting to be interested in helping me around the room. He likes to spray the gecko tanks. You know boys and water! I hope he will be a hobbyist one day. He does love animals.

A friend of mine called me a week or so ago about a potential ball python rescue. This particular snake is at a lps near us. Not Jack's store. My friend called me in tears so upset about this snake so of course I had to go see what was going on. She is a young juvenile that has not eaten since arrival at the store at least 3 weeks ago. She has had a bad shed and still has stuck eye caps after a week or so of me following her. I have talked with the workers at length and I know they have been working with her. The manager, however, is a major butt hole and that is to put it mildly. One day when I was in there, I showed interest in the snake so she got it out. I was holding the snake and mentioned a couple of things. The manager was so defensive at my suggestions. I could tell she got real uncomfortable even though the things I suggested were good suggestions. Was in there another time getting feeders and workers were great. They told me all kinds of info and what they had tried. We talked at length about different strategies to get snake to eat and how best to address the eye cap situation. They listened like I might really have some ideas of how to help and took down the number of my vet since the snake NEEDS to be seen. Today I call to check. Guess who gets on the phone... my fave manager. How do you know this info that the snake needs vet treatment. You should not know that. We are not to disclose that kind of info. We use such and such vet because we have a contract. The DM has to approve it. No you can not know what the vet says. It doesn't matter you are interested in the snake. IF the snake becomes available we will call the people on the list that have showed interest. (that would be me by the way). Hateful hateful hateful! I know I can not save all the animals from pet stores that are stupid and delusional. I get it I really do. However, call me a nut but I cannot stand to see an animal not have the opportunity at medical care when they desperately need it. Why can't they get off their big pride high horse and admit they don't know everything. I don't either but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a sick animal. Then when they do decide to seek help, the animal has had to deteriorate all this time while they then jump through red tape to get approval for corporate to pay for anything. Yes I am still a little hot from Jack's situation because he could have had his tail saved if they had acted sooner. In his fortunate case, after a lot of proactive negotiation on my part, the manager listened, acted and Jack got treatment and a forever home out of it. In the snake case, I probably should stay out of it and walk away. Of course now I truly care about the snake and would really like to have it as part of my reptile family. Sigh. Mama J on the mission to save the bettas and reptiles of the world that have been forgotten and mistreated.

Along that theme, I went to Walmart, bought a betta. He is a beautiful red veil tail. Water was ridiculous, but not today. Not on Chance's day. Today I choose to make a difference one betta at a time.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
July is a special time around here. I hope Chance and Killian are swimming under the rainbow bridge watching over us.

I'm so glad you got a new boy! He looks just like Xan!

Gosh I can't believe that manager! So frustrating! Is the snake not for sale? I don't know how it works when an lps has a sick animal. It's really to bad the manager had to be so rude. I'm sure you're a millon times more knowledgeable than she is!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,158
I'm sure they are! Makes me smile thinking about them.

Yes technically the snake is for sale but they cant sell it until it meets certain requirements like eating. That is a good thing especially for new owners. I guess I am atypical because I understand the issues and have dealt with similar problems with Bear. I have also worked with sons ball when he was having feeding issues. I am willing to put time, effort and medical care into the animal. We'll see what happens. Regardless I hope the snake gets care she needs and a good home.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I get why the store has that policy, but it's so hard for experienced owners. Especially those more experienced than store owners!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,160 (Edited)
How's it going? I realize how busy I have been when look at the journal and realized how long it has been since I have posted. I sure enjoy the forum and love to hear how everyone and fish are doing.

How about a few updates? I will see if I can get pictures to load from computer. Have tried several time tonight from phone and can't attach anything for some weird reason. Anyway, lots of changes in the fish/reptile room. I am thrilled to finally have all my fish grouped on one side of the room. My chair faces the tanks so it is has been so enjoyable to prop up feet and watch the fish. I have downsized quite a bit to 7 bettas and 1 axolotl as far as aquatics. I have three 10 gallons and two 5.5's here in the room. 2 bettas are across the hall in grandson's room in 2.5 and 3 gallon tanks and of course, Koda has to stay in the bonus room for cooler temps. I guess still spread out a bit but it works. I ended up draining all the big tanks down enough to lift them and disassembled shelves. Once I got everything in place I rescaped a few things as I filled tanks and rewired all the accessories. Funny it took me 5 hours to do that. Let me tell you good, hard labor for those 5 hours! I think it turned out nice and the fish seem happy.

As far as current fish, I still have Finley, Butterscotch, Titan, Phil, Freedom and red veil tail I got awhile back I finally named Wave. He looks so much like your boy Tealight. Grandson has also gotten into bettas so when he said "grandma can I get a fish?" I knocked people over to get to the cash register lol. He has a good eye too. The one he picked had caught my eye as well. He is a multi veil tail with some pretty yellow, white and a tad of blue. He named him Spongy after Spongebob. I let him design the tank himself which was so fun. He ended up arranging his gravel like a pokeball. Genius! It helps to have a huge selection of gravel and decor to choose from. He started out with my Spongebob themed hides and figure, but we changed it out a week or so ago. He has learned how to vacuum the tank too. Oh that was a proud moment! Now what second grader knows all that about bettas?! I love my planted tanks but I have to say it has been fun doing a tank with colored gravel and fun decor.

On the reptile end, I have expanded lol. I was able to get the ball python rescue I had mentioned in a previous post. I named her Hershey. She is a normal morph and has beautiful brown tones. She had an awful stuck eye cap, I got off the day after she came home. Her weight was so low. Most hatchlings weigh more! I have had to assist feed her but she has gone from a lot of assistants to almost none now. She has picked up 11 grams in 3 weeks and doing amazing! I went into the store today and talked to that manager. I showed her a picture and told all her improvements. She teared up and said she was so happy I had gotten her. That was pretty neat. I could tell she was so relieved the snake was doing well. I guess managers have hands tied sometimes at store regulations. I am happy this was a case that ended well.

Jack, my jackson chameleon, is also making some strides. He did so well with his tail surgery, I thought oh this rescue will be a breeze. Wrong! He ended up with a pretty good eye issue that had probably been brewing when I got him. Several vet visits, eye washes and drops 3xs a day for weeks. Eye doing much better now but still not 100 %. Then there has been shedding issue and struggles with humidity. I love, love chameleons but it has been much more challenging than I would have thought.

Milo, my tricolor crestie got a big upgrade and new bioactive tank. I am really excited how it turned out. I think once the plants grow in, it will look really nice. He doesn't know what to do with all the space. I think he will like it once he settles in.

Another new face is a baby tiger crestie named Tigger. How original are my names?! Jack for a jackson, Tigger for a tiger lol. He is stinking cute and only weighs 5 grams. I upgraded him from a tub to a 10 gallon bioactive tonight. I added another reptile rack as well and moved desert animals to one side and tropical animals on opposite. I hope to tape a room tour video this weekend.

All the other animals are doing well.

Attachments

4141 - 4160 of 4170 Posts