Betta Fish Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 4170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,215 Posts
I have heaters all on one power strip; filters on another and lights on a power strip attached to a timer. On the tanks across the room I have the heaters and filters on one power strip and the lights on another. That way I can just turn off the heater and filter power strips when I do water changes or rescaping. :)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,022
That's a good idea to have a "designated" power strip.

I just got home and pulled the cards for 'face time'. Kokomo is cracking me up. I think he really likes Misty. He looks like he is doing an island dance at the top of the water blowing bubbles. I think his colors look even darker today. That marble gene can get activated with different water. Boy is he fast! He is swimming at lightening speed around tank and then he will stop and look at me through the corner of his tank with those pouty lips. Soooo cute!

Benjamin, Chance, Nikolai and Audubon have all made me beautiful bubble nests. That is still such a thrill to come home to one. Chance is still my king of fins. I measured his caudal the other day and the fin itself is 2 full inches! Pretty amazing. I love watching him swim and this flutter of color float past. He is a happy boy.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,023
Epic Fail

Oh gee I just had an "epic fail" as my gaming son would say. I had a big bucket of methylene blue...you already know where this is going. I typically will do a good soak of my suction tubes and vacuum equipment in the blue to disinfect between cleanings. Kindof made a bigger bucket than normal. Always dump it in the toilet and flush immediately to prevent any long term blue staining. My hands were already blue from digging in bucket getting out equipment and rinsing. When went to dump the bucket the edge of bucket bumped. Oh not good not good!!!! A blue explosion of water went flying all over the toilet the floor and the sheet rock. :shock:
Immediately grabbed towels and tried to dry ASAP! Of course you know it only takes seconds for that blue to stain. I looked and their were blue streaks all down the wall. Immediately gloved up and went to scrubbing my heart out with clorox wipes of sheet rock. Sweat was pouring off me like a had been in a significant downpour of rain. It came off but not without intense scrubbing. Scrubbed down the porcelin, the tile, the grout, the baseboards. My arm muscles are so tired they feel weak. One thing that sends my husband into complete insanity is anything that effects the house so let's just say I had a lot of motivation to scrub. On the bright side the toilet, floor and walls are sparkling clean!!!! LOL With any luck he will come home and say "wow you did a great job cleaning the bathroom today" hahaha

Note to self: Big buckets of blue=BIG MESS

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
*jaw drops*

Oh no! That is terrible. :( Now you need a nice soak with epsom salts to relax.

Also nice to have a clean bathroom though! Always a silver lining. Like the time Son turned on the tub but then left with Husband. I was reading and kept hearing splash.........splash.......splash.......splash..... Finally my curiosity peaked enough that I went to see what that strange noise was. !! Water an inch deep on floor. Bathroom looked very clean afterwards. Wasn't the relaxing evening I envisioned though.

At least the bucket didn't overturn on your carpet?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
Would love to. Thanks for asking. Haven't moved from my chair since big cleaning event LOL

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Wow, what an aweful big miss! It reminds me -- when I was pregnant, I switched cleaners to something with less fumes. The cleaner stained the toilet seats with streaks of blue. I scrubbed some of the paint off the toilet seats (apparently, ours are painted wood, found that out then!). When one of my daughter's friends visited years later, she freaked because she thought there was poop all over the toilet seat!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,028
Nikolai

Nikolai torn his fin major on driftwood overnight so that wood got pulled in a hurry. I decided wanted to give him blue bath to prevent infection. Ugg did I say blue..... Don't worry I was meticulously careful disposing of that water and did so in other bathroom!! ha Took whole tank apart because plants didn't work well without that big wood piece. Had two branch pieces decided to place like tree of sorts. I sanded the fool out of them to make sure no rough spots. Boy did I have a mess from that. They both have java moss wrapped on tops of branches can't see from picture but looks like real tree that way. Am low on substrate so decided to do a mixture of sand and gravel. Was hoping it added texture and interest in tank instead of looking like low on substrate. Hope to pull big rocks once wood saturates well but needed a weight to keep down. Overall, pleased with new look. Nikolai thinks he is king of the jungle again.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,029
Wow, what an aweful big miss! It reminds me -- when I was pregnant, I switched cleaners to something with less fumes. The cleaner stained the toilet seats with streaks of blue. I scrubbed some of the paint off the toilet seats (apparently, ours are painted wood, found that out then!). When one of my daughter's friends visited years later, she freaked because she thought there was poop all over the toilet seat!
Kids are so funny. Great story!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
Dakota before and after

Dakota showing off his fins today. From grey to glorious :) He loves to flare.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,031 (Edited)
Gage before and after

Gage was rescued the end of Dec. This first picture taken in January about two weeks after coming home. The second one is today. We are still working on fin growth but he has made great improvements. I am confident in a few more months those fins will be magnificent. I don't know if this is the case or not but had someone tell me at some point that feeding shrimp helps with fin development. We eat a lot of brine shrimp around here ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,032
Chance

Of course I am always thrilled to update my number 1 buddy Chance. He has been fussing at me today to fix his filter flow. It gets clogged with plant debris occasionally. No doubt he lets me know when I am slacking lol. He is just such a happy laid back boy. He really likes being next to Kirov and loves it when I turn the bright plant light on them so he can be in the spotlight. Who would have thought this guy would have the longest fins of any of my boys?! Mr Chance Victory J

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Wow how long have you had Chance? Amazing regrowth on all of them but Chance really truly blossomed!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
Nikolai torn his fin major on driftwood overnight so that wood got pulled in a hurry. I decided wanted to give him blue bath to prevent infection. Ugg did I say blue..... Don't worry I was meticulously careful disposing of that water and did so in other bathroom!! ha Took whole tank apart because plants didn't work well without that big wood piece. Had two branch pieces decided to place like tree of sorts. I sanded the fool out of them to make sure no rough spots. Boy did I have a mess from that. They both have java moss wrapped on tops of branches can't see from picture but looks like real tree that way. Am low on substrate so decided to do a mixture of sand and gravel. Was hoping it added texture and interest in tank instead of looking like low on substrate. Hope to pull big rocks once wood saturates well but needed a weight to keep down. Overall, pleased with new look. Nikolai thinks he is king of the jungle again.

Looking at tank now wondering if should have put the wood pieces in the rocks. Maybe need to replace the red plant in front gravel as blends in too much. What do you think would look the best? I have to be my own biggest critic.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
WOW!!!

They all look great! What a testament to LOVE. You should copy/paste Chance's story for people who might've missed it. What an amazing recovery.

Dakota has really cool metallic silver color. Just amazing he ever got into the sad condition he was in? You would think he would have been snapped up immediately at store. ?? He is amazing!

And Gage, we all knew he would be stunning once his unfortunate injury healed.

You've done good!

Maybe move the red plant to the right of the rocks. One rock behind wood might look good?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
Chance was rescued and adopted July , 2015. You can read Chance's story on page 3 of the journal. If you haven't read about Chance, his story will give you a heart for those neglected and abused. He is the reason behind my rescues and gave me a tender heart for those in great need. Definitely an amazing guy with a will to fight and overcome the odds. I really adore him!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I didn't realize this until I just re-read Chance's story, but I got my rescue the same day. He wasn't in nearly as bad of shape of course. Chance is so lucky you found him.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,039
I didn't realize this until I just re-read Chance's story, but I got my rescue the same day. He wasn't in nearly as bad of shape of course. Chance is so lucky you found him.
I had forgot Killian was a rescue too. I love him. That is so neat they both got homes the same day! How is Macklin and Grayson doing?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It is neat! Macklin and Grayson are doing well. Macklin has some regrowth going, so I'm excited about that.

1021 - 1040 of 4170 Posts