Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's about time I started one of these!

A little bit about my background: 10+ year fish keeper. Decent success in saltwater but I have transitioned to freshwater and have found it far more affordable/rewarding/enjoyable. I currently maintain 4 planted freshwater tanks all less than 10 gallons in a small room I am renting that I never intended to keep so many tanks in. But hey! lol 2 of them are dwarf shrimp tanks: a colony of painted fire red sakura shrimp and the other tank is culls/wilds. I sell and ship my fire reds all over the country and have almost made all my aquarium hobby money back!

So I am celebrating by setting up a Fluval Spec V AND Finnex light I received from my mom for Christmas. (No matter how old we get, moms know what we want! haha) And instead of establishing another shrimp colony (I was really debating getting Blue Velvets) I want to get my first high quality Betta! No more impulse Petsmart rescues for me! Koi bettas in particular have STOLEN my heart. Despite the unpredictable marbling gene, I think they're amazing and each one is a unique snowflake. This tank will

I'll add pictures later, but as of right now, starting my betta journey, I have the following equipment:
-Fluval Spec V (5 gallon tank)
-Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE (light)
-Seachem Prime
-Dragonstone & Spiderwood from my LFS
-Mr. Aqua Soil substrate
-Fluval Pre-Filter

I've set up the substrate and hardscape and am loving it already. I'm debating about introducing new varieties of plants or just seeing what I can gather from my other tanks. I'll post pics of it all soon!

Oh! As for the fish... I bought a lovely male Koi HMPK betta from Betta_Mafia on ebay who happens to live a city over from me! So I'm picking up my lovely boy tomorrow morning and I have a temporary tank set up for him until his real house has finished cycling. I bought him with Christmas money too so other than the hardscape and using things I already had, this has been a free set up! :D I started a time lapse video for the aquascape too so I'll be sharing that once it's complete.

Stay tuned for more. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The two male koi bettas ive purchased and my Christmas’s gifts. The second male betta I purchased from a small betta breeder in Florida and he is currently in the mail! I didn't intend to buy both, but I bought one and then won the other on ebay. *shrugs* Oh well! I'll happily make room for them both. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Lovely boys :shock: Can't wait to see your setup!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww thanks guys! Update time: yesterday the other koi from the Florida breeder arrived. Safe, sound, and active! I’m so glad he made the journey quickly in just 2 days flat! I also got a random female with him when buying. I have no idea what betta type she is but she’s kind of white with blue marbling? But not the prettiest... hopefully I’ll get some clear pics of her soon for opinions. She went in my 10 gallon Planted Dwarf Shrimp cull/wilds tank for now. When the new boy from Betta Mafia arrives, I’ll have to rearrange everyone.

Oh! And I finished setting up the new tank! I almost completely forgot that part. Lol I LOVE the Fluval Spec V. A breeze to set up and I am a fan of the engineering/design of it. If I ever have more room and want another small tank, I’ll purchase that one again.

I kept the lights dim at sunset or midnight for him so he could adjust. So the one decent picture I got of him looks super pink. Lol I’ll get better ones soon. I’m also considering getting a micro lens clip for my iPhone 6 to get better photos. Thoughts on this anyone?

I also need name suggestions! Hehe

Attachments

Reactions: blueridge

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looks great! I like the half black/white sand mix ^.^

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Beautiful boys. Some Ebay sellers sell pairs of fish, some include random fish in case one is "DOA". The little girl is cute but IDK what's going on with her head/spine.

As for the macro, I'd simply put in the cash to buy a nice camera. I could never get a nice picture from my phone, no matter how hard I tried. They would look good from far away, and get fuzzier the closer you looked!

Reactions: aefeather

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah, Im not super wild about the girl. lol If I ever attempt to breed bettas, I don't think I'll use her. She's adjusting for a few days in my "jungle" planted 10g tank by herself, but soon she'll be moved into my 10g community tank with tetras and corydoras. No other bettas there so she'll have run of the place. lol They've both adjusted very well and are eating! The male even blew a pretty decent sized bubble nest within the first 24 hours! It's like they both have no clue they were just shipped across the country! haha

I like Tom! How cute. hehe I'll observe his behavior a bit more and see if any other names come to mind too.

Officially picking up the Betta_Mafia koi boy on Wednesday, yay!

And oh you think so about the macro lens? Hm, yeah that makes sense. I have a Canon Rebel T6, but I don't have a good lens for close up shots. And looking at those lenses online, they run several hundred dollars! Just for me to take hobby photos of my fish? Nah... lol Are there other options? All my iphone pictures turn out terrible and blurry!

Reactions: LeviTheFish

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just sharing some photos of my boy Ive finally named! Meet “Sapporo”. Yes, like the Japanese Beer. He has quite the personality and has been eating very well.

Also, I picked up my other new koi HMPK betta from Betta_Mafia last night! (he lived much further than I originally thought; round trip drive was about 1.5 hours with horrible so Cal traffic but oh well. Next time I’ll happily take free shipping lol) That guy hasn’t a HUGE betta opperation at his house. Mine and my boyfriend’s jaws dropped when he opened his door. WOW.

I put the new guy in my “Jungle” 10g tank and moved the female to the community tetra/Corydora tank in the kitchen. I’ve kept his lights off and only got a few glimpses of him this morning with the “sunrise” automatic lights before I had to go to work. I’ll get better pics of him another time. He was originally named TsingTao per my boyfriend’s suggestion but he redacted it to keep the name for his future betta he said. So I chose Kirin! Like the Kirin Ichiban beer company. Hehe I see a theme here, do you? The only decent pic I took of him is the last file attached.

Overall, everyone is doing well! No more betta shopping for me though. Lol my room is very full and I’m lucky my boyfriend has tolerated my aquarium hobby thus far.

And last note— I drew a cute little pixel signature of them both for my time on the forum here. One perk of being a graphic designer!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
So beautiful! I looooove the names too! Kirin beer was one of my favorites too. The pixel art is so adorable! I've been wanting to do some for my chillins too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone! This update isn't big, but I watched some YouTube tutorials about photographing fish in the aquarium and tried out some different settings on my DSLR camera. I think it worked! Not super amazing shots, but hey they're in focus! I didn't really use a mirror or anything to flare up Sapporo. I just didn't have a little mirror on hand.

Sapporo is so energetic and would barely hold still as most betta's would. Over 200+ photos and I only got a handful of decent ones! I also realized he has more of a "back hump" than I first noticed. I was like "oh yikes" in Photoshop. haha I probably won't ever breed him due to his form but hey he's still pretty!

I attempted to photograph Kirin but he was very shy and hid in his plants. :/ Another day!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Beautiful boys and tanks! I have never been able to take good pictures of my tanks.

I'm guessing if you ever get another betta, its name will be Asahi...? ;-)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Nice lookin' shrimp. Especially like the berried female. Are those your Painteds? They look lower grade, but it could be the pictures. Beautiful boys. What moss/plant is on the shrimp tree? It doesn't look like moss but seems to be growing like it. Subwassertang? (sorry if I spelled it wrong lol)

Reactions: aefeather

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice lookin' shrimp. Especially like the berried female. Are those your Painteds? They look lower grade, but it could be the pictures. Beautiful boys. What moss/plant is on the shrimp tree? It doesn't look like moss but seems to be growing like it. Subwassertang? (sorry if I spelled it wrong lol)
Thank you! They aren't top grade for sure but I think the lower quality ones came out for photos as well as my camera is not the best on the macro-scale. I have some nice ones in there, but I've been culling to keep their quality high as possible. lol I constantly have berried females and babies hatching though so they do well!

And yes it is subwassertang! When I first glued it to the tree, it looked terrible. I still wish I had used a different type of moss, but it turned out better than I thought. The little pieces of subwassertang fall like confetti all over my tanks and drive me crazy. lol

Reactions: ThatFishThough

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful boys and tanks! I have never been able to take good pictures of my tanks.

I'm guessing if you ever get another betta, its name will be Asahi...? ;-)
Thank you! And yes, Asahi will be the next for sure! lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...Ebisu will be your fourth betta...lol

I'm interested to see how your boys's colors will change or stay.
Oh me too! I really hope they keep their colors as long as possible, but their marbling gene is inevitable. :(

Side note: my coworker and I both have little 3 gal aquariums at work now. (The addiction is real) I just set mine up today and started the cycling process. Not sure what I’ll keep in it. Maybe just bring in the one female I have at home in my 10g community tank? Rescue one from my LFS or petsmart/petco? Undecided!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts