Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a serious betta problem. It all started with thor, My dumbo half-moon male. My friend was buying me a betta for my house warming gift when i moved into my new apartment 3 months ago, and so naturally we went to petco and was looking around. And there he was, pale and thin and Blind in one eye. The same eye that im nearly blind in. I fell in love. I had to take him home with me, so 45 dollars later (My friend was so mad) I had a fish. He was in a dinky .75 tank and a silly little column stood in his tank, but boy did that fish have personality. He would swim up to the glass when i came near and would flop those giant fins around, and i would smile and laugh. He made me happy. Now 14 betta fish later, he sits in a separated 10 gallon and still gets excited to see me. Other bettas i have are aggressive or shy, but this betta is the love of my life. Since then i have bought 15 betta's (One was unlucky enough to meet my kittens tummy) but whenever i bring someone in my fish room i show them Thor, and with a proud gleam in my eyes tell them this is where it all started.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How to get unexpected betta's? (A unwanted user)

So in the latest betta hoarding new's,

My boyfriends best friend FINALLY got a girlfriend (I dont quite mind him) but she came over for me and my bestfriends girl night while her boyfriend spent time with mine. Well my best friend to went with me to buy her first betta fish for her 5 gallon tank (She is a molly breeder so betta's arent her usual fish) Well she decides to rescue one from walmart and the women came with us and bought a little viel tail for her self.

Get this though, she is currently living in her boyfriends sister's home, and is not allowed to have this fish. So she spends the night THEN LEAVES HER BETTA HERE AND SAYS SHE CAN'T TAKE IT WITH HER. Now i have 15 betta's of my own, and although i am always open to more betta's i was not interested in a veil tail in my mix. (I am currently working on breeding my double half moon king with my halfmoon female leih) and did not want a fish in a tiny little cup.

SHE DID'NT EVEN NAME IT and im pretty sure that she only bought it to try to fit in with me and my friend. End of story though i have a veil tail, which i am currently calling reject. I mean, how could someone abandon their baby like that!? I couldn't imagen doing that to any of my fish...just UGH and my boyfriend wants her to move in with us. UH.....NO!

Has anyone ever had someone abandon fish on them? Im so mad...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So lets get things rolling,
I have recently started to cycle my new 2.5 gallon tank for a fish im getting in the mail (First mail fish sooooooooooo excited) and i was beginning to worry about it. I mean, i have lots of betta's don't get me wrong, and i do a pretty decent job of taking care of them. But i figured with this fish, i will do only live plants. This started a whole problem in its own. I mean, i have 3 live plants in my tanks and one died on me because i accidentally snapped the plant from its roots. (Thor doesn't care though.) So i go to pet smart pick up a plant i don't even know how to pronounce and i think im done. NOPE i gotta get more plants because its smaller than it looks. Cool so im dragging my boyfriend to pet kingdom tomorrow to look at plants. Problem is i used up all my betta allowance this week. Ugh no good. wish me luck. Im thinking of getting some java moss....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
*giggle* "betta allowance", that is cute. Live plants are sooooo expensive. Water Wisteria grows fast and then can be cut and then you have a whole 'nother plant- it will grow roots off the stem. It also adjusts to high or low light and can be planted or left to float. I bought mine at Petsmart.

And the fish dumper girl sounds horrible and insecure, I can't imagine her living in my house. Please give veiltail a proper name. It isn't his fault he got rejected when a human like that bought him. How about Fate? Destiny had it that he ended up at a knowledgable betta lover's house! He actually got the good deal with you and not her. Veil tails have really sweet personalities.

Thor sounds amazing! I want an EE halfmoon! Never seen one at Petco. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plant wise I'm going to an aquarium specially store, so hopefully they can have some good plants. But when it comes to the Veil tail, we named him chance. Since he has a new one. He is a sweetie always hiding till I come out and he swims up and smiles. I like him alot for being a fish I didn't need. But he needed me and that's how I see it.
And oh gosh is my baby thor beautiful. He has the fullest tails and he's all this light gild color with pink and blue. He is what got me to research and love betta's. But ya he'said a dumbo eared halfmoon. Abosultly beautiful never seen another fish like him. Sad petco mistreated him though and he'said half blind.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You should post pictures of all your bettas on here! I made a thread recently of my past 47 bettas, all their pictures look pretty cool together. lol
I am also almost completely blind in one eye (left) and a few years back rescued a long finned Oscar that was missing an eye. I always have a soft spot for the crippled ones. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
So in the latest betta hoarding new's,

My boyfriends best friend FINALLY got a girlfriend (I dont quite mind him) but she came over for me and my bestfriends girl night while her boyfriend spent time with mine. Well my best friend to went with me to buy her first betta fish for her 5 gallon tank (She is a molly breeder so betta's arent her usual fish) Well she decides to rescue one from walmart and the women came with us and bought a little viel tail for her self.

Get this though, she is currently living in her boyfriends sister's home, and is not allowed to have this fish. So she spends the night THEN LEAVES HER BETTA HERE AND SAYS SHE CAN'T TAKE IT WITH HER. Now i have 15 betta's of my own, and although i am always open to more betta's i was not interested in a veil tail in my mix. (I am currently working on breeding my double half moon king with my halfmoon female leih) and did not want a fish in a tiny little cup.

SHE DID'NT EVEN NAME IT and im pretty sure that she only bought it to try to fit in with me and my friend. End of story though i have a veil tail, which i am currently calling reject. I mean, how could someone abandon their baby like that!? I couldn't imagen doing that to any of my fish...just UGH and my boyfriend wants her to move in with us. UH.....NO!

Has anyone ever had someone abandon fish on them? Im so mad...
Wait, wait...wait wait wait, does the bestfriend of your boyfriend live with you two as well? Cause otherwise him being like "yeah I want to let the girlfriend move in with us!" is kinda weird o_O Just me? Plus it sounds like they haven't even been dating for a significant amount of time o.o

Anyway, totes rude! She just thrust at least half a year of another commitment onto you xD

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wait, wait...wait wait wait, does the bestfriend of your boyfriend live with you two as well? Cause otherwise him being like "yeah I want to let the girlfriend move in with us!" is kinda weird o_O Just me? Plus it sounds like they haven't even been dating for a significant amount of time o.o

Anyway, totes rude! She just thrust at least half a year of another commitment onto you xD

No I totally agree with you!!! I'm getting a "her boyfriend is a creeper" vibe too. You guys need to seriously sit down and have a talk, that's strange as HECK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No they have been together for 2 minths. It was so rude I was like grrrrr. Never inviting them over. And no they're crashing at his sisters house. Poor chance hasn't had a good life. Can't wait for his tank to be cycled and watch his personality change.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No they have been together for 2 minths. It was so rude I was like grrrrr. Never inviting them over. And no they're crashing at his sisters house. Poor chance hasn't had a good life. Can't wait for his tank to be cycled and watch his personality change.
Shoot I would be so mad, doesn't help that I'm the jealous possessive type :lol:

I'm glad he'll have a more comfortable life in your care, even if it was unexpected!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should post pictures of all your bettas on here! I made a thread recently of my past 47 bettas, all their pictures look pretty cool together. lol
I am also almost completely blind in one eye (left) and a few years back rescued a long finned Oscar that was missing an eye. I always have a soft spot for the crippled ones. :)
I'm the same way...I love my thor more than anything. And I've started to take a ton of pictures of all my fish and I'm planning in making a list of them. I'm on my way to pick up a koi female. So pray for that

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG omg betta love

You guys after searching for months i just got a beautiful halfmoon female koi betta to breed with my male plakat koi!!! I also got a white female to breed with my beautiful thor!! This guy was so amazing he gave me a sponge filter on top of everything and two handfuls of almond leaves literally dying and going to fish heaven!!! Pictures to come!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
You guys after searching for months i just got a beautiful halfmoon female koi betta to breed with my male plakat koi!!! I also got a white female to breed with my beautiful thor!! This guy was so amazing he gave me a sponge filter on top of everything and two handfuls of almond leaves literally dying and going to fish heaven!!! Pictures to come!!!
That's awesome that you can breed your favorite boy! I assume you'll be keeping some of Thor's spawn for yourself? :-D

Also I love kois!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of course but I'm also selling a few. I've got a few friends who are dying for some of thor's babies and some stores wanting koi babies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goodbye chance.

Hey guys,

So chance has officially been rehomed. My betta amount was getting to large so he was removed with my stepmother who has been looking to get a betta for her 5 gallon tank. He is living happily among some java moss at her house. She has alot more time to give him individually than I do with all my fish. But I promise she will take care of him and I will check in on him every week!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow, that girlfriend sounds like a piece of work -___- totally going to be besties though right? (sarcasm) If I were to ever(ahem,never) abandon my fish, it would be like abandoning my child

I like your "betta allowance" I'm actually going to start one of those too as I'm a impulse buyer when it comes to my fish(only the best for him! TVT) and I plan on saving for college so I can;t be spending all of the extra money I have ^.^'

How do you tell if a betta is blind though? I wonder if he was like that all of his life, how quickly did he adjust to his new surroundings?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, that girlfriend sounds like a piece of work -___- totally going to be besties though right? (sarcasm) If I were to ever(ahem,never) abandon my fish, it would be like abandoning my child

I like your "betta allowance" I'm actually going to start one of those too as I'm a impulse buyer when it comes to my fish(only the best for him! TVT) and I plan on saving for college so I can;t be spending all of the extra money I have ^.^'

How do you tell if a betta is blind though? I wonder if he was like that all of his life, how quickly did he adjust to his new surroundings?
Yes she was a piece of work, never again on her. I could never abandon a single baby i have. And my betta allowance is actually 60$ which my boyfriend sets for me because i can spend 200$ on betta's in a day. So he does not like me not having rent money...and as for my blind thor, his one eye is actually completely clouded over, and the vet (am i the only person who takes fish to vets?) said he was probably in an accident when he was young. Love him though!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Daily log: Platies, spawn's, and scum.

Hey guy's,

First i want to start out by saying that i appericate everyone who come's on here and read's what im saying and actually replies, it makes me happy to know people love my betta's as much as i do.

So if you guy's have read my post, i got two platies yesterday from walmart after making a rookie mistake and listening to the petstore employee. Ha! gets me everytime. Well these two 2 dollar fish have turned into 20$ fish real quick. So let me tell you how much i love fish. I have happy 18 betta's, 5 ten gallon's, 2 2.5 gallon's, and 4 1 gallons. In my fish habit its been about 2 grand in fish. (Could be more, rough estimate) and have traveled up to 2 hours for fish. With this said, i wouldn't trade them for the world.

But back to my latest adventure. Yuki baby (My new female koi) is now sitting in a cycled breeder tank with Genji (My koi male) so excited to see her. trying to get these two to breed so fingers crossed. They are so cute together, and i will be so happy for babies.

Now those dreaded platies. Now most of you will be like "Why didnt you take them back" That answer is simple, they're from walmart. That is almost CERTAIN DEATH. so they stayed. so i went to my stepmom's today to see her. When im there she offers me this 10 gallon tank, and i jump at the oppurtuinity. Little did i know it would take me 3 hours to scrubb the thing clean. It was filthy!!! But it was fully stalked. a bubble led volcano, a filter, and air pump, led hood, and decor. So after three hours to my suprise it all worked!! So i treat water get it going ( They were sitting in a cycled tank i barrowed from a friend) Dumped the water out and bang! New tank. It was like christmas. So three happy babies and A horny koi couple. Today has been successful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.