Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Journal on my Betta.

I bought a baby betta from petco just yesterday. That day I got my 2.5 gallon out of storage and filled it up with settled tap water and added conditioner.
Today, I ran out the door to buy a heater for that small of gallon, my last one has disappeared since I used is last. I also got the missing makings for a DIY sponge filter, a sponge filter cartridge and an air stone. I used old pvc pipe(cleaned via bleach bath and many, many rinses), left over air tubing and an old airpump to create the sponge filter. Its working very well so far, the current outgoing is gentle enough that the baby betta swims up to look at the bubbles.
I also had a well leached batch of driftwood, all ready to go, and bought a Java fern to add some pizaz to the tank. I will be cutting my rapid growing stem plants and adding them later on.
Since his tank is set up next to the my Tetras I gave him a half view of the tank, so he can see other fish, but also have a safe zone to hide from the fish. That is, if he wants, but he prefers looking at everything. He comes to the front of the tank if I wave for him to come over, which I think is a rather cute.

...Is it me, or do new fish make one feel the need to look at them every ten minutes, just to make sure they are still happy and healthy?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
It's not just you. I'm still in that stage with Kevin Zuri and Tadashi. And will be the same when my roommate's new boy comes to me on Friday. (She's overseas right now)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I finished his tank today by installing his tank cover. Its plexiglass, because the tank is actually a terrarium that I used as a fry tank for two years, raising platies and guppies(disinfected, for those who worry).
To start it off, plexiglass is the hardest thing to cut in a straight line. Its a head to break, cut, or saw. Which is why this cover is epoxied together, Because it broke down the middle.

Alls well with the little guy, he had two hearty meals today, as I was at work he'll only have three meals today. He has gotten a nice noticeable stomach now, which makes me feel better. He mustn't have been getting fed right at petco since he was a bit on the thin side.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The baby Betta has been dubed Shimmer. Because he flashes iridescent blue green when he swims.

I added some brazilian waterweed cuttings to Shimmer's tank at the latest cleaning. He is happy with more green I'm sure, but The moment he sees me he starts swimming back and forth at the front of the tank: Begging for food of course.
Since I siphon the bottom of the tank to clean it, I take Shimmer out using his petco cup. He hates it, he gets all striped and kinda sulks around the edges of the cup until I put him back. Hes way to curoius to siphon the tank with him in it, he want to look at everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Three and a half years later I update my journal! Shimmer is alive and well, I recently dirted her tank and planted it! Its amazing but after she reached maturity her tail continues to grow, you can kinda see where her tail started since the caudal spines are a bit 'off' She is super pretty now with her long tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
She looks kinda like my baby I got from petco <3 crazy how much they change huh? I'm glad she's still doing well. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me Sparkles my king betta died last week. This weekend I was up in San Jose where the petco usually has really nice bettafish so I could buy another king betta. I love those big bettafish, and mr sparkles was a beautiful too.
I went in a looked at the betta and looked into a seemingly empty cup to see to little eyes looking back at me.

I went looking for a big betta, and left with an itty bitty betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It is truly amazing What we have in mind when we look for our betta, and what we come home with. LOL I don't know how this one will grow out but one thing for sure it will be very well loved. Your tanks are nicely done and your care for them is very commendable. Good luck with this new find.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I hope this little one lives as long as my first baby, Shinmer, who’s still alive and well.

There was a snail inspection. Whatever the discussion was, I think the snail won.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My little betta has doubled in size! Making him still tiny, but now a bit bigger.
I bought some shrimp, most are larger then him. He attempted to nip them, and then realized nothing worked. Hopefully it will be a lasting lesson and he won’t eat them when he is bigger.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It looks like he is starting to color up some. Or is that the flash from the camera doing that? Still a cutie.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like he is starting to color up some. Or is that the flash from the camera doing that? Still a cutie.

He is gaining a bit of color, he’s iridescent marble with some dark speckles and a touch of red on his ventral and pectoral fins. The new finned light really makes his colors pop though! Heres a pic with out the shine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts