Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enter a young typical girl who wants more than her two cats, a girl who wants a puppy. Of course, her parents are against the idea, her mother does not like dogs, and her father says the cats would most certainly hate having a dog, especially since they are already in the double digits in age. Her father had kept many aquariums as a child and longed to have another tank, so for Christmas, he got his daughter, and son, a fish tank to fuel his childhood passion. This tank was filled with fish very quickly (after the standard 24-hour "cycling" time) and after a few years grew to two tanks, with cichlids in one tank. Eventually after a good few years, the father decided it was too much work to keep up the tanks on his own since his children wouldn't help, so he stopped buying new fish after the old ones died. Eventually, one tank cleared and the other sat with one pleco (his son's fish from when the tank was first set up) all alone and always hiding. Eventually, the father took the fish out and brought it to Petco and took down the tank.
After the fall of the two tanks, computer monitors took their place and the girl grew older, missing the fish she once had. In high school, she learned of a project that the Environmental Science class did: the fish project. This project consisted of having a betta living off of a plant in a 2-liter bottle of pond water. As soon as she heard this, she decided to take the class. As senior year grew near, she grew more and more excited that she was finally going to have a fish again. Well, the project changed slightly and the betta was replaced with a zebra danio, but she stood strong, getting her supplies and setting up the bottle of pond dirt and water and shoving in the danio. Most of the students in the class lost their fish within the first two days, and those who didn't lose them the first two days lost them sometime else the first week. But, one fish and the entire class lived and it was hers. Two days before she could take him out she went and bought a one-gallon tank and as soon as she could, she dumped him into the tap water filled tank. Two hours later, he died.
Not even a month later, her class did another project with fish. This time, they watched goldfish at different temperatures struggling to breathe. At the end of the day, the fish were going to be fed to a turtle, but in an effort to save them, one of her friends took the last three fish, bringing the girl two of them. The girl promptly put them in her one-gallon tank that still had not been conditioned (though the water had been changed). The two fish lasted almost a week, dying only one day apart. The girl was devastated and left the tank running for days.
Senior year ended, and the chance of freedom was on the horizon. The girl knew that not living at home meant she could have a fish. She did some research on keeping bettas in a dorm and was convinced she could just stick it in her tank and it would live.
Time passed and the first semester ended. After excitedly remembering her idea, she convinced her roommate to get a betta as well. Of course, her roommate thought it would be a great idea to get a baby from her local Petco because then they could watch it grow. So, after visiting he house one weekend, they stopped at Petco and picked up a baby betta and drove two hours back to campus.
This time, the girl was more prepared and had conditioner and the fish didn't die right away. While researching baby bettas soon after buying it, she discovered this forum and learned more about fish than she ever had before. Because of this forum, her fish is now in a filtered and heated 10-gallon tank, she is obsessed with fish, and she will be buying another betta and dividing the tank next week.
That girl is me and that is my story.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have been redecorating in preparation for my new marble male Eric. I have the tank set up in two sides, but Eric's side seems a little over done. I will post pictures soon. I am still working on the divider though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Before:

After:
(Note: The valley in the middle is where the divider will be and the gravel is not even yet)

Squirt's Side:

Eric's Side:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have officially bought another betta. His name will be Eric after Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid because his side of the tank has an Arial figure.
Without further ado, I present Eric:

I also went to Petsmart today and got a bubble volcano for Squirt to go along with his Finding Nemo theme so he could still have a bubbler (his bubbler stick won't fit with the divided tank). I also got Omega One Betta Buffet pellets so hopefully the boys will eat them.

Reactions: SahelSandWing

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Congrats on getting a new betta friend! These are very fun, personable fish and I'm sure they'll be a good support system in college :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Squirt has been great to have since he is basically a child that I can take care of.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So two weeks ago, I added a divider to my 10-gallon tank using poster hangers (a little wider than the report slider things that I couldn't find) and craft mesh. I added Squirt (my tiny little baby girl) to the left side and she stayed there, so when my new betta Eric came in, he went into the right side. He has been in there for 1.5 weeks with no problems until tonight. I came back from my choir concert 10 minutes ago to find Eric on the left side of the tank. Thankfully Squirt is totally fine and doesn't even appear too stressed (her tail turns metallic whens she is stressed).
There is no room for Eric to jump (even if there was, he would have to jump over an inch to even get to the top) or squeeze through anywhere (plus the divider is in the same position as before I left, so it wasn't moved), my roommate swears she didn't move him (I did ask her politely), and our room was locked so no one else could do it.
What has gone wrong? I am going to try and move Eric into my 1-gallon. I just ordered him a 1.5-gallon and supplies to make a sponge filter for when I have to take the 10-gallon down to move out, so I can move him there once it comes in on either Friday or Monday. I guess Eric will live in temporary housing until summer and then I will get him a plain 5-gallon and leave Squirt in the 10-gallon with a tankmate or two.
Also, should I be worried about them mating at all? I don't think they did as there is no bubble nest and they were only together for a max of 4 hours.
Why do I have so many problems?

This was also posted in another thread.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so Eric has become an overall Houdini and a found him today stuck in the tube under the air stone (he was in the 1-gallon that uses an under-gravel aeration using an airstone in a tube). I am going to see if I can convince someone to bring me to Pet Supplies Plus to go pick up a 5-gallon plain glass tank and heater, so I can move him now before he hurts himself too much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems like you picked out a trouble maker! Hope you post on all your shenanigans together!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh my gosh, naughty boy! Betta's have such personalities. ;-)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my new 1.5-gallon temporary/QT tank should be here either tomorrow or Friday, and I can't wait, because my heater is overheating my 1-gallon and it is driving me nuts. I just ordered Eric a new tank. I am getting him the 3-gallon Tetra Bubbling Kit one, so it's not the 5-gallon I wanted, but it comes with the supplies I need. I also ordered an adjustable heater which will most likely be going in the 10-gallon and my current heater (which keeps my 10-gallon at about 76-77) will be moved to the 3-gallon. I am not buying anything else for my tanks until summer because I have spent WAY too much money on them.
I also have no idea where I am going to put another tank. My dorm next year is small than the one I am in now, so who knows how that is going to work.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just realized that Studying Abroad next spring means I won't have my fish. I guess over Christmas break next year I will have to teach someone my routine for fish keeping. The tanks will be cycled by then, so it will just be feeding and gravel cleaning.
Also a little update on my crazy fish:
Squirt's tank has been rearranged and she now has all 10 gallons again. I took out the fake looking plastic plants and her original rock structure (that has very fake looking plastic plants on it) and have washed them in hot water. Those plants will be going in Eric's new tank.
Eric's tank has been shipped and should be here at the end of the week (I am hoping it will come Wednesday). Eric is currently in the 1.4-gallon QT tank that came in Thursday. Although it has more water than the other QT tank, it is still a pain to heat, because my 7.5 Watt heater is still giving too much heat because it never turns off unless you unplug it. I have a DIY filter in the QT tank (and an extra one for the 3-gallon). It is in a glass vase that looks like a cup. I have some gravel at the bottom surrounding the airstone, then filter fiber, then AquaClear Ammonia Remover, then more filter fiber, and then left over rocks that were cleaned with hot water twice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric's tank came in today, which was not expected. The 3-gallons seems bigger than I thought it would be, but it is a narrow tank that is mostly tall. I can definitely see what people have wrong with the Half-moon tanks, but it isn't awful. The tank does bow some when full, but with an inch gap from the top, it's fine. I am not using the Whisper 3i that came with it. I have the air pump hooked up to the DIY filter and both airstones in the 10-gallon, which I am excited about because I am out of plugs (I have a full strip with almost only tank equipment plugged in and another one with a couple tank things on it). Oh well. I may put a piece on paper over the lid because the LED light on the bottom has turned my room into a disco party. I think I made his tank adorable, though.

Eric's QT tank has been switched from a fish QT to a snail QT. Two nights ago one of my friends brought me a garden snail she found on the way back from work. He is about an inch in diameter and has a cracked shell. I have a thread about him in the Finless Friends section. I have named him Flash after the sloth in Zootopia (all of my tanks are lightly themed for different Disney movies). Here is the little man:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Flash is up and moving and is eating his first big meal of lettuce. I found a snail forum in hopes of figuring out how he should be kept. I am so glad I figured out what I needed to change, I guess I should get a spray bottle next time I end up at the store.
Here he is today:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A little update on Squirt. She is getting bigger and her fins are growing longer. The rays are clear at the end and are starting to look almost like a Crowntail rather than a Veiltail. Squirt is the first picture and the second is a little girl that was for sale as a Crowntail on Live Fish Direct.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Yeeeeeeeesh I knew there's gonna be a snail pic here somewhere >< *scrolls down super quickly*

Ohh! Fishy fishy!

VT-CT mixes exist you know .-. Some people just decided it's a great idea apparently. They're usually those CTs with pathetic web reductions. An actual CT would have at least a 50% web reduction. So that cambo girl for sale in your LFS might as well be one, too.

Also, yay for tossing the 3i aside. They're crap.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about the snail, he's my new "fish".
Really? That's probably it then, she is from Petco, so being a combo isn't too surprising.
I made my own filter because I had heard they were terrible. I did keep it though in case I need it for anything in the future. The DIY filter works wonderfully, so I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So Eric tore his dorsal fin. I don't think it was torn before I tried to get him out, but now it is. I just set up him QT tank with the filter and heater. I am going to heat it up now and then leave the heater off tonight. I only have two plugs in the bathroom, so he won't have light, but that is okay I will just have to run the heater more. I can plug the light in while the heater is unplugged. I posted in the Diseases section, so hopefully I will get some help.
This is what happens when I procrastinate. Now I have a ton of notes to do before tomorrow and a lunatic fish to heal.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts