Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. A week ago, I was browsing Aquabid, just looking around at the bettas. I kept telling myself that I wasn't going to get one because I didn't think I needed another one. I mean. I had JUST given my little sister a gorgeous blue and purple veiltail betta at the beginning of the summer.
I had also just spent $50+ for a 3.5 gallon tank and decor for my first betta, Gilbert.
Anyway, I was browsing and I said to myself, "the right one will come along when the time is right. I will know when I see him."
and BOOM.
I found THE most gorgeous orange, blue, and white single tail, half moon betta!
I fought with myself for 2 days and even dreamed about having this betta.
I told my boyfriend that it was only 20 dollars to bid on him and no one had even placed a bid. HOW could they not have placed a bid?! Had no one else discovered this beautiful creature?! Could it be fate? YES.
I bid. 20 hours later, I won. AHA!
The betta of my dreams will be shipped to me in a few days! (Don't tell Gilbert. HE's my real baby and I'd hate for him to get jealous, haha).
:BIGwinky:

I contacted Linda Olsen and she didn't respond for about a week or more and today she FINALLY got back to me! I suppose she has him now :)!
The breeder said he shipped them on Saturday and now it's Monday and hopefully I'll have my baby betta Seamus by the end of the week :).
Wish him luck!
I will post pictures as soon as I get him!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received an email last night at 11:53pm. Seamus is in the United States in the state of Colorado waiting to be shipped to me. He is paid for and now I have to have the anxiety of making sure I am able to get to him as soon as I can. I gave her my house address, but all of my mail is shipped to a PO box :(. HOPEFULLY they will bring him straight to the house and I wont have to worry.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a heater for Gilbert's tank and went to the PO to check for it and it wasn't there. There was no key for it to be in one of the bigger boxes either. Finally, 3 or 4 days after they date USPS said it was ready for pick up, I went in there and was like. "yo, where's my heater, bro?"
They gave it to me with no problems, but it was ridiculous that I had to wait that long to pick it up.
I just don't want Seamus to be sitting around in a PO waiting for me to come get him. I don't even know what day he is expected to arrive. I asked Linda to please let me know when she ships him if she can, and I think I will be asking for a tracking number just to be safe.
I'm not about to have a DOA because I don't know where my fish is.

REGARDLESS. I am so excited to get my betta!! This is the riskiest thing I've ever done, lol. Since it's sending a life all wrapped up in a plastic bag half way around the world and all...
Please send good thoughts to Seamus and hope for his safe arrival within a few days of his shipment. Preferably 2 days at the max.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Linda generally ships USPS if you pay for the regular 2-3 day Priority. She also generally gives you a tracking number once it is sent out. But you can ask her all the same. For most area's it's generally only 2 day shipping.

Also, always give your mailing address, not your home address. I also have a PO box, packages that are too big for the box are just held in the back and they put a little yellow paper in the box telling you that you have a package and you can just go to the counter to pick it up. Technically, by law you need to present the yellow paper but if they know you, they might just give it to you like they do me :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so so much! I am just waiting on her to send the go! I paid for priority shipping. I think I might just live at the PO until I get him!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay guys! Linda shipped my betta yesterday and I've been running around like crazy trying to get a siphon tub and decorations for his new tank! I'm so excited! USPS says the expected delivery date is tomorrow, so I'm probably going to be living at the PO tomorrow :). I got a betta hammock for both Seamus and Gilbert. They had wires in them so I cut them out. I also got these really neat jelly fish floating things for them. They each have a half of a marimo moss ball and a rock cave. I cannot wait for Seamus to get here :). The only thing I'm worried about is wanting to throw him into the tank as soon as I get home.
When he gets here though, can I pour him into a cup with some new water mixed with his old to kind of give him some cleaner water, and float the cup in his tank? I'm just thinking that 2 day old water isn't going to be as clean as it could be since it's in less than a half gallon of water, I assume.
I also have some indian almond leaves coming in the mail but they wont be here for a couple more weeks. How should I use those?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He'll be fine, he'll need to be acclimated at least an hour. Try the drip acclimation, google it if you don't know about it.

Honestly, the ammonia may build up but it's not toxic until higher levels since their pH level where he's coming from is most likely low. The lower the pH the less toxic it is so it can build up without really hurting the fish. The best thing you can do is acclimate him properly rather than try to get him into clean water as soon as possible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay! Thank you for the advice!
I will try the drip acclimation when he gets here.
I'm glad you told me this and I'm glad I asked :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah! Ask any questions you have! There's no such thing as a silly question even if you feel it is, if you don't ask, you'll never know! ^_^

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SEAMUS HAS ARRIVED!
My boyfriend somehow got up way before I did and made his way to the PO and picked him up! I am currently floating him in his tank water to acclimate the temperature and then I will be trying the drip acclimation mentioned previously!
From what I can tell, his half moon tail looks like a split double tail :(.
I cant even see his bottom fins. He's so small though. I guess I didn't know what I was really expecting anyway.
I will be posting pictures shortly of this process and of him :). His colors don't look as dull as expected, so that's nice I guess. He's gonna need some major TLC though!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is currently swimming around, exploring his new home. He hasnt even come to check me out once! He's not very fast, but he's not lethargic. He doesnt have fin rot, but he did bite a pretty good chunk out of his tail. He's also pretty good at staying hidden. He ate the regular pellet food and ignored a freeze dried blood worm. He's probably too curious to eat. He's perfect 😄

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He's a cutie! Yeah, that's a nasty bite but just keep up on water changes and it will heal all by itself ^_^ no meds required!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How often and how much of a water change should I do? He is living in a 3.5 heated and filtered tank that I treat with 1tBs of stress coat. And is there a such thing as too much stress coat?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.