Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had to go out to get filter pads, so I took a ride to Pittsburgh to go to Petsmart there. While I was in Pittsburgh I stopped by a breeder friend of mine. (He is the one I bought Blue from a few months back.) I wanted to see what all he had to offer. (and I was looking to find a replacement for Blue who I lost at the beginning of the month.)

I was given a great welcome and pleas com in and take a look. My friend and I talked for a while and he ask me how Blue was doing. I felt bad about telling him that Blue had passed. The look on his face told me how sorry he was for the loss. As we talked I found a very pretty Delta tail. He was an iridescent blue green. I must say he did catch my eye and fancy. The last Delta tail I had was Harry who I lost to old age this past January. (Harry was 9 years old and gave me a lot of great memories.)

As we walked through all the tanks and jars I couldn't get that guy off my mind. I was in the shop for about 4 hours looking and talking and I finally ask my breeder to sell me that Delta tail. He said in no uncertain terms would he sell me that guy, and I said Oh he's going to a store account? He said No he's going home with You and I'm not going to sell him to you, but please accept him as a replacement for Blue. I was just simply taken a back by this and I accepted and said he would have a great home. My friend said he knows he will.

I thought the whole way home to think of a name for him, and I just can't find a good name. I introduced him to his new tank last night even though I haven't put any real plants in yet. I have some silk plants I keep jus in case. I turned off the light and left him swim. He found a hide right away in the leaves of the silk plant and the heater. He was still there this morning. He hasn't eaten yet but in the past few hours he has started to explore his new digs. He's camera shy so I haven't gotten any real good shots. the ones I do have make his color more green and depending on the way he turns there are times he looks blue, but the camera shots I got today all make him green. So here he is for now and more pictures later.

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=966970&stc=1&d=1574342129

https://www.bettafish.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=966972&stc=1&d=1574342129

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ha! That is one great friend you have. :)

I think I might be calling him Blue-Green.

:)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep I need to come up with a better name for him. I was thinking Charles??? Yes, No It's better than Lucky.

As for my friend, he is a great friend. I showed him the pictures of all my boys that I have bee keeping. He can't get over Cal. Even though I didn't purchase him from him, he thought Cal was a fantastic find . He said he wishes he could breed Betta like that. He has some really great looking stock but nothing with giant genes. He's going to look into getting a good breeding pair and see what he can do.

He asked when I was going to start breeding. I told him that wasn't going to happen. I stopped with Two sons and a Daughter. LOL His answer was A man who knows his limits I like that. LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's an awesome fish! I love his color and he seems to have beautiful home. Good luck with this guy.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys I tied to get Charles by my wife but it didn't fly (or swim) I'll try Frank but that's the problem, He is only green when the flash on my camera goes off.. The rest of the time he is blue with a green iridescence. It is only when the flash goes off he turns green. LOL could be the flash scares him.

He is starting to settle in and the silk plants are just not going to stay in this tank. I can't stand fake plants. I'm going to Erie this week so I'll take a look up there at the place I usually by my plants.

·
Banned
222 Posts
WOW congrats on the stunner and what a heart warming story

I love that irridesant changeable blue/green color.

I've said this before, but I think a fish will reveal its perfect name as you get to know it....;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the new guy has a name finally. My grand son sent a text and said his sister says His name is Fritz. So My wife and I Who Love our Grand Kids very much (Except when they have overstayed their visit. LOL You can only take so much People. Lol) So my wife liked it and I really don't care. (its's better than the names I have been calling him LOL) So Fritz it is. He doesn't answer to it yet but he will. He got use to me calling him Little !*&#. so he'll get use to anything.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well he is getting along very nicely. He is coming out of his shell ( no pun intended) He started patrolling his tank this afternoon and responding to the lid of his tank being knocked on, He now comes up for food no matter where he is in the tank. He is also coming up and flaring in front of the tank when it is those times to be fed. I guess it doesn't take long for chow hounds to realize where and when food will be delivered.

I've tried switching up his diet but he knows what flake food is and that is what he sticks too. I've tried frozen Blood worms and Brine shrimp but he wants nothing to do with it. Cal my big blue marble is the only betta I have that will eat frozen food. But then again the rest of the fish in the community tank just love the frozen.

Fritz likes attention and every time my wife or I walk by he is always at the front of the tank and loves being talked to. Just goes to show ya, ya don't have to be expensive to be loved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts