21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Depending on how many fish you plan to house, I think one or two larger tanks (10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 40 gallon long, etc.) that you can divide into multiple segments would be a lot more cost-effective to buy, set up, and maintain than a whole bunch of little tanks. Seriously, some brand new 2.5 gallon tank kits with cheap quality filters and hoods cost almost as much as or more than some plain glass 10 gallon kits I've seen. And think about how many heaters and other miscellaneous supples you would need for them all. If you look around, you may even be able to find decent used tanks for practically nothing.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Depending on how many fish you plan to house, I think one or two larger tanks (10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 40 gallon long, etc.) that you can divide into multiple segments would be a lot more cost-effective to buy, set up, and maintain than a whole bunch of little tanks. Seriously, some brand new 2.5 gallon tank kits with cheap quality filters and hoods cost almost as much as or more than some plain glass 10 gallon kits I've seen. And think about how many heaters and other miscellaneous supples you would need for them all. If you look around, you may even be able to find decent used tanks for practically nothing.
Don't forget to quarantine new fish though, to prevent the spread of diseases!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh, yeah, that's true. You would need to be extra careful about that with rescues... Hmm. I guess my suggestion works a lot better for permanent betta homes. /:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
There once was a tinnnny male HMDT that I saw at Petsmart that was just the cutest thing EVER! It was white with black spots...looked like it would marble later. I didn't get him because I simply didn't have enough room :( He was the cutest betta I've ever seen though :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
The past few times I've been to my LPS I've seen a beautiful male (though I forget now what type he is) with really amazing pink, blue, and black colouring. But my favorite part is that he has two black markings on his face that look exactly like a mustache. Every time I see him I want to take him home!! But I'm having enough trouble keeping my current fish healthy, so I know I can't. :(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I once went to the pet store and there was a pale, dirty looking male with no tail. Not one bit. I told an employee, and he took it to the back room. Chances are, I sent that little guy to his doom. And even worse, when I got home, my parents said that I could've gotten him! I was so mad. They could've told me that back in the store!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I once went to the pet store and there was a pale, dirty looking male with no tail. Not one bit. I told an employee, and he took it to the back room. Chances are, I sent that little guy to his doom. And even worse, when I got home, my parents said that I could've gotten him! I was so mad. They could've told me that back in the store!
Dang thats sad :( Fish in that condition are the reason I want another 10 gallon tank to divide...I could rehabilitate up to 3 bettas at a time with it. My three tanks and six bettas now are enough work though. My parents were also famous for that...they'd see me wanting something so bad and then wait until its too late before telling me its okay. And when it comes to the life or death of an animal its even more irritating.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Viva you could split it in 4 (2.5 each) to rehab the most at one time. Even if they lose one gallon each from a ten divided in three, it is a lot better then a cold cup.
That's true :D I kind of want a bare bottom tank too so they won't lose any swimming space. Not sure if I'm actually gonna go ahead with it because my boyfriend might get mad =p

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

^ Had an anxiety attack when I had to leave this guy and a yellow pineapple VT male in the store earlier. It's my fiance's fault because I was avoiding them so this wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't have pictures, but there was this beautiful marbled guy at petsmart, if i could have gotten him, and cured his nipping/fin rot he would have grown up to be such a gorgeous betta. :c
I only have a 5.5 gallon at the moment, and my betta at the moment loves all the room and i would feel bad splitting that, even for a temporary thing.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
if he's still there thurs when I go to look for silk plants, I'll probably beg again

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And maybe pick up an extra one to get your money's worth from price of gas? ;)

I also saw this tiny cellophane female at Petsmart once. I mean, baby betta tiny; she was only a little bigger than my thumbnail. Pale blue fins and eyes too big for her head. I felt like a horrible person leaving her on the rack surrounded by all the rotting, dead females.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't stop thinking about one I saw at Petco today. It was white dragonscale with some purple in the fins, but the best part were the LIPS! RED- like lipstick! I loved him. I just set up my tank yesterday though, so still cycling. Hurry up little bacteria! Hurry UP!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
you could always pick up a QT tank, and just pull 100% changes till your tank is cycled ;)

21 - 40 of 164 Posts