Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I saw the cutest little King last Saturday, he was wagging his tail at me begging me to take him home. I spent the whole week thinking about him.

In 30 minutes I'm leaving for work. When I'm done at 11:30 I'm going straight to Petco to see if that little King is still there. If he is, I'll be setting up a new tank today instead of a Christmas tree.

I can have a 2.5 gallon Quarantine tank set up in minutes for him. I wouldn't be able to have a 20 long ready for him until tomorrow. Would have to go with silk plants instead of live temporarily. As you can see, I've thought this out.

If you are in the Willow Grove, PA area just outside of Philly. Please buy him and save me the trouble. He's on the bottom shelf, 2nd from the right in the main display. He's a beautiful, bright blue with a splash of red on the fins. I would love to see somebody from the forum get him so I could watch him grow up and be spectacular.

It breaks my heart that he'll most likely wind up in some kid's Sponge Bob tank or a wedding.

I would have never have gotten back into this hobby if I'd known it would make me feel like Oskar Schindler.
*que sob scene where he's ashamed that he hasn't done enough* "I could have saved more."
Awesome movie btw, anyone who's not seen "Schinler's List" grab tissues and go watch it!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Today is not a good day to buy a fish. I think let my emotions get the best of me this morning. He is still there. I took a step back and thought things through. If I buy him on the spot. I have to go home and move some furniture. Then I have to go to my LFS and and hope they have the tank I want in stock and a stand. I gotta get it home somehow. That means I gotta borrow my Uncle's truck or my Sister's SUV to get my new set up home. I'm thinking I could get away with another 10 gallon for him but it seems like a step back. I want to get a 20 or 30 long and maybe divide it. This is everything I'm against, rushing into this is only going to end up badly.

This is not a rescue. This Petco is the best I've been in. If I can get my act together, get a suitable tank going and he's still there, then it's meant to be.

I think he remembers me...

I stopped at Sam's, got a hoagie and a Black Cherry Wishniak for myself. Somehow it made me feel a tiny bit better not to share it. The dirty look was worth it.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Mike - that's what happened with the dragon scale I saw over the summer. I know he remembered me. I could have gotten everything for him, I had the money, I could have squeezed in another tank. But it wasn't meant to be. I keep telling myself that he went to a good home and some crappy fish bowl.....

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got a tentative agreement to get the DT I wanted. Now to just hope that he is still there, and still in reasonable shape. I know I don't need another, but he is such a lovely little fish and I feel he deserves a decent home.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
today i went to petco andm y local fish store who now keeps their male bettas in 1 gallon and female in about 50 gallon filtered and heated. And i left a boy who was a pure white HMPK with dragon scale pattern sorry didnt get a picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not about fish getting away, but Petco is getting ready to have one of the $1 per gallon tank sales from December 26th-January 24th.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Mike - that's what happened with the dragon scale I saw over the summer. I know he remembered me. I could have gotten everything for him, I had the money, I could have squeezed in another tank. But it wasn't meant to be. I keep telling myself that he went to a good home and some crappy fish bowl.....
Awe, I feel for ya Viv.

I have the day off today and a clear head. If all the stars align I can have him home by Friday at the latest. If the tank is in stock, I can borrow a truck and start setting up today. I can fulfill my Christmas tree obligation next week. My LFS is open until 7:00 PM today. I think a 15 would be perfect for him but I'm settling on a 20 long. I know it's big for one fish but I can divide it later on. You just have more room to grow with a 20. I can always sell the tank later move up a 29 later if I want, it uses the same stand. If the tank is set up and going, I have no problem buying him early and keeping him in my 2.5 quarantine for a few days.

I think a certain big blue king is gonna be a little jealous if he see the new guy getting a bigger tank than him. Luckily they will be in different rooms. Ideally, I would put Big Abe in the new 20 but he's doing so well in his 10 I'd hate to mess with a good thing by putting him in an un-established tank.

This is the exact moment he realized I wasn't going to take him home.

OK, he's not the best looking fish in the world, He'll never be IBC Super Heavyweight World Champion. But he has personalty and that goes a long way in my book.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Personality does play a big part. Someone got me a betta for my birthday without checking with me first and I hated him. He was so "plain" and he ruined my plans to cycle my tank and choose one myself. But his momma's boy personality won me over. On the other hand I have a lovely Butterfly VT with great potential who is testing my patience with his tail shredding and unstoppable glass surfing. He's doing a bit better when I uped him to the 15g planted.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Awe, I feel for ya Viv.

I have the day off today and a clear head. If all the stars align I can have him home by Friday at the latest. If the tank is in stock, I can borrow a truck and start setting up today. I can fulfill my Christmas tree obligation next week. My LFS is open until 7:00 PM today. I think a 15 would be perfect for him but I'm settling on a 20 long. I know it's big for one fish but I can divide it later on. You just have more room to grow with a 20. I can always sell the tank later move up a 29 later if I want, it uses the same stand. If the tank is set up and going, I have no problem buying him early and keeping him in my 2.5 quarantine for a few days.

I think a certain big blue king is gonna be a little jealous if he see the new guy getting a bigger tank than him. Luckily they will be in different rooms. Ideally, I would put Big Abe in the new 20 but he's doing so well in his 10 I'd hate to mess with a good thing by putting him in an un-established tank.

This is the exact moment he realized I wasn't going to take him home.

OK, he's not the best looking fish in the world, He'll never be IBC Super Heavyweight World Champion. But he has personalty and that goes a long way in my book.
Tanget, but I had the same thought when my husband suggested I move his dwarf (aka pea) puffer to my new 6g bow bow front and put the new EE betta (Aristocoloes) in his 12g long tank. However if I did this then he and Xerxes could see eachother and I was quite sure Xerxes would be appalled to see another betta with a bigger tank. Fortunately I talked my husband out of that (don't know if the new betta would eat his cherry shrimp colony.. tat the dwarf puffer was too dumb to realize was food when they were first introduced), so Xerxes still has the biggest tank (even if its only by 1g now).

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The stars are starting to align. I went to borrow my Uncle's truck and when he found out what I was doing he surprised me with a early Christmas preset. A $100.00 gift card to my LFS! So it's been a busy day moving furniture, cleaning and setting up my new 20 long so hopefully my new buddy will still be there by Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been leak testing the tank all day, If their isn't any problems I'll add gravel and water tomorrow. I'll run the heater for at least 24 hours to make sure everything is stable. I made 3 trips to my LFS today but I'm pretty sure I've got everything to give this guy an amazing life. I'm embarrassed to say the third trip to my LFS was for a heater, derp! How many times have I admonished people for not having a heater, ugh...

Sparky and Abe have been kind enough to donate some sponges from their filters and I'm sure I can talk them into donating some plants as well. I tried to get some terracotta pots and some craft mesh but AC Moore & Michael's were mad houses. Why? all that X-mas stuff has been out since before Halloween!

This one is not going to get away, I can feel it!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Glad to hear Mike! I hope all goes well.

I've shuffled my bettas around and my 5g on my desk is now open to receive. I got a "maybe tomorrow" answer but I'm going to keep pushing to make sure that is a definite. I think it was Thrusday that I saw him.. There is a good chance and I'm trying to keep my hopes up but I'm so worried he is gone.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Thanks, heading out now to go get him <3
Hope he's there!
I had to make it a point not to go to PetCo today, I could have made a flimsy excuse, but right now that adorable female with inquisitive personality I saw is stuck in my head and I know I couldn't walk out without her again.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well he wasn't there, but I found a lovely CT that looked healthy compared to the other sick or dead ones that were there. My gosh is there a lot of junk in the bottom of his cup :/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sadly the one I brought home looks to have a tumor growing at the base of his tail. Sweetest personality though. I'm still glad I got him, at least I have an idea as to how to handle his issues.

Honestly I like him way better than the other guy, I seen an HM like this on AB and drooled over it for a while.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cute fish Tress, I hope he lives a long happy life :) His coloring is adorable.

I went to Petco yesterday to pick up a lid but I'll have to go back today because I bought the wrong size ><

While I was there, there were tons of lovely bettas. I wanted to take at least 2 of them but my boyfriend would have a fit even though I have an empty 20g and 2 2.5 tanks leftover from some breeding expeditions. I can't breed the shiners again till we move so they're empty now.

I also saw a cute crowntail at Meijer while getting groceries. His cup was really low and very dirty and it hurt me to leave him. I called over one of the associates and she said she'd clean him out.

Fish1: I really wanted this gold boy. He's lovely and huge. He had some fin biting but it would have probably subsided after a time. I desperately want to go back and get him but I'm afraid to ask at this point. I already have tons of fish. We're not moving for almost 6 months but he just doesn't want more.

Fish2: This little Plakat is adorable. I really like his colors and he was energetic. If I had gotten any fish for from Petco, it would have probably been him and the gold boy above.

Fish3: Not the best picture but this is the crowntail I saw at Meijer. He was one of the prettier crowntails I've seen around here. He was a copper with red and turquoise markings.

They're all still haunting me ; ; It saddens me that I have the tanks but can't get any more fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh~ That gold green guy is pretty and that DTPK is nice too. I wonder if his blue will bleed out and cover the orange like I've seen someone else's do. But yea, totally sucks when you have tanks but can't get more fish.. I have a 30g downstairs, a 10g I might set up for my over aggressive VT and a 20g long I could divide more...

.-. Bettas are potato chips, you can't have just one!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Oh~ That gold green guy is pretty and that DTPK is nice too. I wonder if his blue will bleed out and cover the orange like I've seen someone else's do. But yea, totally sucks when you have tanks but can't get more fish.. I have a 30g downstairs, a 10g I might set up for my over aggressive VT and a 20g long I could divide more...

.-. Bettas are potato chips, you can't have just one!
+1 this

Try not to look at bettas (easier said than done I know) until you've moved. Then become the betta version of 'the crazy ca lady' lol. wall to wall betta tanks!

21 - 40 of 988 Posts