Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am hoping to get a male (or female, I'm not picky) betta sometime in the near future and I really want to get a new tank for him/her. I'd like it to be very spacious for betta, but still small enough to be able to sit on my desk.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the perfect 5-6gal tank is?

Thanks so much!!

Jessie

·
Super Moderator
18,405 Posts
Do you want a kit or to build your own. I do the latter. So here is how I built my 5.5 gallons.

Tank ~ PetCo in-store 5.5 gallon around $15
Heater ~ Hydor 50 watt around $20 from https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368
Filter ~ PFE-1 $15 from here FORZA 5-15 Power Filter PFE-1 - 45GPH
Canopy ~ $10 https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3731+3790&pcatid=3790
LED Light ~ $32 from Finnex Stingray LED Fixture: 16 Inch

Total is $92. Keep in mind this includes the heater and that cost needs to be added to any kit as most do not come with them. So, compared to a kit it would be $72.

You can cut costs by buying a table or goose neck lamp and using plant CFL. And you can find cheaper LED 16" fixtures, too.

This will give you Betta-friendly accessories from the get-go. Many find with kits they either have to replace or baffle the filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much!

I've never put together my own tank before, but that would be neat to try! I usually get a kit just because it's all right there (besides the heater, of course) and usually at my pet store, if I look at the fish there's always a sick betta that needs some rehabbing right away. :(

I do have a 5 or 5.5 gal tank left over from when I used to have bettas, but it doesn't have a lid (canopy?) and I've had 2 bettas jump out of the tank on me (one literally jumped through a tiny feeding hole onto my lap! She survived!). I don't know why, but I'm just afraid to use it again . . . I guess I don't really know how to be sure it's really clean again since it's been about 10 years since I've used it.

·
Super Moderator
18,405 Posts
I would clean that tank really well with vinegar water and rinse until there is no more vinegar smell. There are other ways which might work better so maybe someone will have a better idea. However, after 10 I cannot imagine it needs anything more that a rinse with warm water and to make sure it does not leak.

Then I would buy the 16" canopy and the Hydor heater from Foster and Smith since they have free shipping at $19.00. The filter is my favorite as it is adjustable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts