Betta Fish Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
She is so beautiful! You never see girls like that. My kind of fish....not a good helper ;) Hoping you got her!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
She is so beautiful! You never see girls like that. My kind of fish....not a good helper ;) Hoping you got her!
I can neither confirm nor deny that she is floating in the sorority right now....

Goodbye will power, it was nice knowing you.

I'm very surprised at how well the girls are taking her presence. They all swam over (as you can see), but more because I haven't fed them yet tonight and they're hungry. Once they established she is not edible they swam over to where I usually feed them to beg. There's been no flaring or anything from anyone.

My first choice would be to integrate her into the sorority when I do the rescape with the new mangrove roots, but if she doesn't work in there I've got a tank set up and ready. She has to go through QT anyways, so I've got time to decide.

She's getting a WC and everyone is getting fed, so I'll try to get some better pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
So tickled you got her! I can't wait to see how genetics and marbling plays out with her. Keep us posted with lots of pictures. All the girls look so sweet together. Makes me miss having a sorority. You have an amazing tank for them.

Reactions: halleyana

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Thanks! I love the sorority soo much! I'm going to try and get some video after the rescape.

I'm smitten with her, and I'm so glad I went back for her. I'm tempted to spawn her with JP and see what happens...

So far her name is Marlin Monroe, but I'm not 100% on it yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Had a bad day today and went to Petco/Petsmart to cheer myself up. And of course I found some great fish. I have to tell myself I'm going away for a week and don't need any more fish right now. The little girl was soo cute and the boy is gorgeous but not labeled correctly.

*sigh* it never ends

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Just found out I'm going to be out of town for a week, so I wanted to try the new girl in the sorority while I have time to monitor them. My fish sitter is not proficient enough to keep up WCs in her cup. The tank was going to get rescaped anyways, but the mangrove roots aren't done yet. I just switched the driftwood from the 20g and threw in some of the faux "carpet" plants in testing. The girls act like there's no one new and there's been no real aggression, which is better than I could have hoped. I'm going to keep a close eye on them, but fingers crossed it keeps going smoothly. They love exploring the carpet, so I'm counting this one as a win! It looks much less fake in person. (That's Envy in the carpet and peeking out like "nothing to see here")

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Your girls are just so stinkin' cute!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I've been out of town this past week for my cousins bachelorette party.

Ava passed away while I was gone, there was no stopping her necrosis unfortunately. All the other girls in the sorority are thriving and the mangrove roots are going to be done Friday!

My fish sitter forgot to turn my tank lights back on, so I've got some major melt going on :/

In better news, I got the job!! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Still debating about spawning over the summer.....and still loving the sorority. I'll take new pics this week when I put in the mangrove roots.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Swim In Peace, Ava. <3

Glad the other girls are doing well! Congratulations on getting the job! :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So the mangrove roots are in! I lost a lot of plants while I was out of town...so there's lots to fill back in. I can't decide what I should add in, I'd like to have one type of plant in the entire tank. I like the simple look but need a lot of coverage for the sorority.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The mangrove roots look great in the tank! It's great that you don't have to worry about them getting rot or fungus... ;-)

How is your father doing? I hope he is better.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The mangrove roots look great in the tank! It's great that you don't have to worry about them getting rot or fungus... ;-)

How is your father doing? I hope he is better.
Thanks! I love how they turned out...now time to fill in plants.

My dad is recovering remarkably and has exceeded everyone's expectations, thanks for asking!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Welcome to the Jungle. The 20g got a rescape, I need to get back on my WC schedule, the tannins are insane in this tank!

Rescapes coming for everything else later this week!

EDIT: No idea why the photos are uploading so blurry, I'll have to break out the camera and take better ones once all the rescapes are done

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Mangrove roots look amazing! Sorry for plant loss. I have the same issues when travel that or major algae outbreaks. Your 20 rescape looks really good too. You have a great eye for aquascape. Glad to hear your dad is doing better.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Mangrove roots look amazing! Sorry for plant loss. I have the same issues when travel that or major algae outbreaks. Your 20 rescape looks really good too. You have a great eye for aquascape. Glad to hear your dad is doing better.
Thanks! I'm so excited with how they came out. The plant loss is annoying...but I'm getting timers for my next trip, so fingers crossed this one will go better. My LFS sells bunches of water wisteria for $1, so I think I'm going to fill in with that, I don't want to leave for a week without putting something in. I've been trying to get better at aquascaping, and I'm glad the "carpet" is working out! Thanks! I'm thrilled with his recovery.

On another good note, I started my job yesterday!! Which means money to buy plants with :laugh:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
It's been a while, between starting my new job and traveling for a wedding, it seems like I'm never home. I am definitely behind on my tank maintenance, right now I'm just making up for evaporation.

The girls tank sat pretty empty while I was gone, thankfully they all get along so well and no one is worse for wear. I just got paid and went to my great little LFS that had huge mats of java fern on sale, so I bought the two they had and cut them up. There's also some rotala in there to try, I'm going to need to be more on top of my ferts, etc to keep it red. (Ignore the mess, I just stuck in plants, cleaning to come later).

Shady is definitely aging, but everyone else is doing great. I'm debating whether or not to start a breeding project and who I would use. My LFS is definitely interested in buying babies and I'm no stranger to shipping. I'm thinking either Shady (marble HM) and Lux (marble HM) or McCarpney (Red HM) and Ira (armageddon HM). Decisions decisions. I like ShadyxLux better for color, but McCarpneyxIra would have slightly better form....hmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I love the mangrove roots you made. Tank looks so pretty with plants intermingled. Hope your new job is going well. Exciting to think of a breeding project! I would love to try that myself sometime if ever had the time to devote to it. I think seeing the genetic combinations would be fascinating.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Thanks! I really love my new job. my co-workers are great and I like the work. As an added bonus the office is in my favorite area of town, and the building is dog friendly so I get regularly interrupted for pets (which is awesome!). I love how the sorority tank is progressing, it could use some more plants (it is pretty sparsely planted for a sorority) but my girls have gotten along with far less cover, but I bought out all their java fern and I'm just going to let everything else grow in. I just got some iron to supplement for the red plants, we'll see how much it helps.

I've been intentionally leaving the light on a little extra to grow some algae for my nerites to snack on because they've been more efficient lately and my algae growth is behind. Can't believe I'm trying to grow algae...

My next plans are to get some better dividers for the 10g and give that a makeover, the boys have been a little neglected lately.

I also think I'm going to try and spawn JP and the marble girl. I'd like to spawn Ira since she has such a nice form and is always a little eggy, but I'd rather cross her with McCarpney and I'm worried JP is going to age out before I have a chance to spawn him again. So time to set up my tubs, I've already got everything else ready. Marble babies here we come!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
So excited for your spawn project!! I love JP so pretty tickled you are using him. Marble genes are fascinating to me. I might be interested in one of those babies ;)

Glad to hear you job is going well! To have animals around would be such a perk!

81 - 100 of 130 Posts