Betta Fish Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Wow, I can't believe over a month has flown by since I've been on here. Quick update:

Breeding project aborted because I'm going to move soon and didn't want to do it with hundreds of babies.

Job is good, we've had a ton of projects lately and I'm exhausted, but I still like what I'm doing.

20g is chugging along, I need to get a timer for the lights.

Sorority is booming, I still love watching the girls and the java fern has taken off, there's babies coming in everywhere.

Got better dividers for the 10g and finally reduced my tanks down to 3 (which seems like a lot in the face of moving them all).

Shady is aging semi-gracefully, but you can tell he's getting up there. JP is slowing down as well. McCarpney is still his playful self, it's interesting to see the impact of age side-by-side.

I'll have to get new pictures up soon, but we're all plugging along.

Currently hunkered down and riding out Hurricane Harvey. We haven't been hit as bad as they predicted but they say it will only get worse over the weekend. Fingers crossed the power keeps coming back on every time it flickers! I live on a large hill, so flooding at my house isn't the real issue, the worst would be we will get stuck in our neighborhood because every road out is a low water crossing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Not a good update.

I woke up on Sunday and JP was gone. No signs of illness, for him or any of the other inhabitants in his divided tank. Parameters checked out fine.

Makes me wish I hadn't postponed my breeding project with him.

*sigh*

SIP James Pond

Attachments

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
SIP JP! I've been silently following. Glad to hear that Harvey isn't adversely affecting you.

Reactions: halleyana

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
So sorry about JP. He was one of my favorite bettas to follow that you have. Have missed seeing you online. Glad the job is going well and hope your move goes smoothly. Things seeing on news about Houston and Texas areas just seems to hard to even comprehend. Glad you have not been hit hard by all the storms.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thanks y'all!

We lucked out with the hurricane, aside from some minor flooding and power issues, our biggest problem is that the city ran out of gas. We're now getting restocked, but people panicked and caused a shortage.

In fish related news, I'm at an impasse and trying to decide how to move forward. I would like to move in the near future and my desire to downsize (for the sake of moving) is at war with my hatred of empty tanks.

Current tanks:
2-empty 1 gallon hospital/shrimp tanks
2- 2.5 empty
1- 10 gallon (divided into 3 sections, one of which is currently empty)
1 -13g 7 girl sorority (which I added my shoal of peppered corys to (see downsizing above))
1- 20g long currently housing 7ish platys, one female betta, and numerous RCS

Option 1:
Give platys and/or female betta to a friend setting up a new tank
Empty 20g and store
Keep sorority with corys (plenty of filtration, no aggression issues, bonus the girls aren't overeating the leftovers anymore)
Remove one divider and give McCarpney 2/3 of the 10g because Shady would not be able to handle 5g

Option 2:
Give platys to friend setting up new tank (friend gives me plants in return)
Re-plant 20 and create another sorority (I know, ambitious, but I'm on a girl kick lately) (maybe add the corys back in, or get another shoal)
Put the boys back into their separate 2.5g to reduce footprint of 10g tank.
Store 10g

Option 3: some combination of the two/something I haven't thought of yet.
Or I wait until I move, but who knows when/if that is going to happen.

I'm kind of over the platys, they're fun, but having an equally colorful and interactive sorority makes their surplus of progeny seem unappealing. I made the mistake of stopping at Petco while running errands and instead of being drawn to the boys, I fell in love with more girls. I'm coming to appreciate their colors and smaller size (plus the appeal of multiple bettas in one tank).

As bad as it sounds, I am also just waiting for Shady to pass, he has aged none too gracefully and his time seems to be approaching, but I'm not feeling the pull to get another boy to replace either JP or him.

I don't want to push my luck with two sororities at once, but I really like my system (though I'm aware there's no guarantee).

*sigh* decisions decisions.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
*chants* So-ror-ity! So-ror-ity!

:3 ETA: We're a bunch of enablers, lol.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Is it a bigger deal to water change 10 with dividers or several 2.5s? I would opt for the lesser or easier of the maintenance myself. I haven't ever had a divided tank though. If I have a larger tank it always ends up as a community. You do great with sororities so I'm sure setting up another would be fun. I do miss having one with all my girls zooming around. Even with their girly spats they were always so fun to watch. Next time I have a larger open tank I might have to do that again. I'm not the greatest at downsizing because can always thing of a really cool new tank build haha!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just read through your journal. I love your sorority, and if I were you, I'd go option two. McCarpney and Shady are very stunning. Your tanks are beautiful.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
No progress so far on the tank situation. My boss apparently knows someone who manages some small apartment complexes near my office, so I'll be looking in to those soon.

I started making some more clay "branches". I've had people say that they would like to buy them, but I've got to find a way to economically make them before I open them for sale.

Went to pick up a new nerite for the girls tank, they didn't have any at the petco I stopped at first, but of course I had to stop and look at the bettas. Y'all...the struggle to not start another sorority is killing me.

So here are the girls I turned down at petco/petsmart: (sorry for the bad quality, I already feel like a creeper just coming in to take photos)

red koi
yellow vt
yellow koi
salmon vt
copper hm
black marble hm

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Oh cries at second fish! She would have been to the checkout before you could say betta. haha You have great will power to not come home with them all! I bet those koi girls would be stunning in a good home wink wink ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Picture updates! I can't believe Shady is the same fish. I would say he has aged gracefully, but he has not....haha

So the 10g is getting gifted to a friends recently adopted son, the boys are back in their 2.5g (Shady is thrilled).

I've decided I'm going to turn the 20 long into another sorority....so here's the first two girls. They're floating in the 12g with the rest of my girls (who could care less that they're there). I'm going to take my time picking out girls I love. The yellow girl is tiny and has some black on her that leads me to think she's going to marble. The pink girl looks just like Envy, but with blue irids. So excited!

Here are a few of the girls I am debating between adding, plus the ones from the last post....that pineapple! (But she is a little too close in color to the girl I already got...)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I am just now reading your posts after writing mine. You will laugh. Love your new girls. Oh it would be hard to choose between the other two as well. I like things about both of them. I really like the colors on number 5 but number 6 would be really cool to watch to see what her final colors would be.

That is so special you gave your 10 gallon to your friend. Adoption is very special! I have two that are adopted. Tell them congratulations!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I've been driving to a different pet store every day after work. It seems like now that I've committed to building another sorority there aren't any girls I'm interested in. I'm sad I missed the little copper girl last week. So, we're slowly starting recruitment for Beta Epsilon Theta Sorority - Theta Alpha Chapter (BETTA).

Here are the first five pledges. No names yet, but everyone is eating and they're all floating in the 20 to wait out QT.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oooh!! I love the last one. They're all so beautiful. Glad you went with the sorority option. :-D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
If you ever wanted proof of the power of clean, warm water: here it is. Same fish, taken less than 15 minutes apart. Don't discount a fish for its stress stripes, claimed find, or pale colors at the store.

Ps. Two more sorority members

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Girls are going through QT, I've only found 9 so far that I love, I'd like to find a few more.

I'll get individual pictures of the girls later this week, no one has names yet. I made a spreadsheet to monitor eating, and so far they're just being called by their colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Thanks! It will be a while before everyone clears QT, and I'm sure I'm going to end up re-arranging the plants. Finally got everyone eating consistently.

Here are the four newest girls. Turquoise dragon HM, pale pink/blue HM (who I picked up out of pity and was mislabeled as a VT, I didn't even realize she was a HM until I got home), what I thought was a cambodian VT but she turned flaming red after a WC, and gold VT.

Still no names. Debating doing punny names, another theme, or just random names...

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Again, I like the last girl the best. I don't know what's up with me... :-D

101 - 120 of 130 Posts