Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Discussion starter · #43 ·
Woke up this morning, uncovered the tanks and Hexen and Drwg had switched sides!!! talk about minor heart attack. I did a quick check on fins and for any signs of fighting, and nope. not a one. they were fine intact and on the wrong side. i found where the hole in the barrier was, fixed it but man. I was lucky!

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Fritz Marbled to full red with blue iridescence on the tips of his fins. then less then a week latter he decided it wasn't "Him" and is now going back to a black body. rather than starting at his top fin this time he is starting from his face. it looks for all the world like he has black face paint on, with only his lips and eyes still pink. I think moving him to the 5 was a good idea. he is out more, interacting and generally less fraidy cat.

my 30 is a jungle! I found out two of my amazons are propagating! no clue why but I am crazy happy about it. will make stocking that mythical 55 when I get it easier. shouldn't have to buy any new plants, between the Wisteria growing like gang busters in everything I put it in, my crypts developing runners and my amazons propagating I am starting to worry about my fish to plant ratio.

I have a job lined up for December, and my husband is picking up a second job soon so hopefully we will be able to afford that mythical 55 soon. it is high on our lists as i had to explain to him in no uncertain terms that either we get rid of 2 angels and herbert or get a bigger tank. He's not happy with the ultimatum, but i refuse to hurt these poor fish due to lack of space.

the betta are doing well. Myr loves being in his old 10. the cories exist... i think. I see them going "shoot!" and running away every so often. Drwg is awesome and very friendly. Hexen is doing fine and struts his stuff every chance he gets. Saki... is Saki. he isn't happy. I have yet to find something that makes this silly fish happy. he doesn't want to play, doesn't want to do much and always sulks. I wish I could find what ever it is he needs to make him a happy active fish. I really think it is his personality given all of the others are personable.

The other night I awoke to the sound of a fish leaping from the tank. like allot of water splashing sounds. i bolted upright checked the bettas, which they didn't like because they were sleeping. checked the 30 and i saw the 3 angelfish tearing the heck out of the floating wisteria. I had never seen them give it much notice before so I was surprised to find all the noise was them ripping this thing apart. The mystery became clear when in the morning I noticed my female platy was not pregnant. apparently the angelfish found fry in the plant. wow. they were VERY determined.

I have lost a total of 3 mollies. I did finally work out WHY. it was that they are brackish fish in a freshwater tank. I still have 2 females, but they will probably never breed given that they are in fresh water. kinda sad for them.

mostly I have been maintaining everyone and making plans for that 55. oh the plans! I have a list of several things to get for each aquarium maybe after December i will manage some of it. :)

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Well, I need a bit of moral support/advice. I have gotten bad enough that I can't do water changes as regularly as I should. I mean I will get better from this round but it is just a matter of time until the next. I am down to changing water every two weeks, 1 week the bettas, 1 week the 30. I need physical help changing the water and it always leaves me zombie shuffling and unable to move for about 2 hours. My husband, while enjoying the tanks never wants to help me when I say "tank cleaning time!" it takes allot of effort to get him to help and I have no one else who can help me.

All my tanks are heavily planted (I think the minimum is 5 full grown and flourishing plants in a 10, max is about 5 well growing plants in a 5 gallon my other ten has 9 different plants in it) and I do top offs when I can. all of them have filters that i take care of, but the water changes with syphon and jugs of water are killing me. I don't want to have to give up my beloved fish, but I am starting to debate if I should.

Any suggestions on water changes would be most helpful. I prime every time I change, everyone is happy (other than saki, but that is par for the course and he is no more UNhappy than usual) All the tanks are cycled. I guess I am asking if it is okay to let it slide a bit while I am hurting.

If they are planted you can probably go 3 or 4 weeks between water changes, you can add Prime for the tank volume when you top off.

Is there a neighborhood teenager who could help you for a few bucks or do you have a friend you could ask (preferably one who keeps fish, you could give them plant trimmings in exchange for help)? I would happily help someone I knew as a casual friend or coworker do water changes every couple weeks.

Alternatively, sit down with your husband and tell him you can't do the water changes. My husband does not help me with my tanks currently and doesn't really care about them, but he knows they are important to me and make me happy. I know that if I couldn't take care of them he would. Maybe just sitting down and having a heart to heart conversation will help him to realize that he needs to step up and do the water changes himself.

Sorry that you are going through this, I'm sure it's frustrating.

You can let it slide, especially since they are heavily planted. If you can test the water and they're cycled and planted heavy enough to be reading 0, 0, 0...just top them off if you're hurting bad.

And I agree, talk to your husband.

You may have to start trimming down on the more difficult tanks, sadly, but there are some things that can help delay this. Do you have a python for the larger tanks?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.