Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired to write this due to the thread on Fang and the Starfish poem was posted as because we can't take them all home. Fang looks much like my Gossamer so I took a special interest in how he was doing . He was rescued by another member (FengHuang) he had some weeks in nice clean water and loving care unfortunately he didn't make it. Feng made a difference for him even if it was for a was for short time.

"Betta Make a Difference Poem"

“A man was in the pet store shopping for food for his dog One day, while looking at the pet food he saw a person sorting through fish in cups. He grew curious. She was arching her arm holding them up studying them closely. As he came closer he saw that it was a young woman and she was not sorting but was reaching down to examine them and frowning.

"Young lady," he asked, "Why are you looking at those fish so sadly?
"There are so many of them, and I only have room for a few, and if I do not buy them many of them will die."

"But young lady, do you not realize that there are thousand sof bettas? They are just fish no big deal. You cannot possibly make a difference."
The young woman listened politely, paused and then bent down, picked up another betta and put it in her basket. She passed him, saying, "It made a difference for that one."

She said "When I leave I am going to have a word with the manager about how they are treating these fish. I am going to ask him to keep up their on their water changes. If he doesn’t listen I will post photos of how he cares for the fish on the internet".

The old man looked at the young woman inquisitively and thought about what she had said. Inspired, he joined her and he put two bettas in his cart and said he would say something to the management too. Soon others heard the conversation and joined in. They took photos of the fish with their cell phones and promise to post them online if they didn’t see any improvement. They also took a betta of their own. The young lady helped them find nice aquariums and supplies to keep their bettas healthy. However, not all the bettas were saved." They made a difference though. When they all went through the checkout line and registered their dissatisfaction with how the bettas were being treated. Unfortunately, there are so many pet stores and there will always be more to replace to them; so we have to keep telling them to upgrade their treatment so all the bettas will really see a better life.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lovely. It'd go perfectly with "Sort Of" by Ingrid Michaelson

·
Registered
177 Posts
I read that while it played on my Pandora. [that's free internet radio]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I am glad it's being seen by people. I hope it improves the lives of bettas. If you repost please consider posting a link to proper betta care so the word of how to properly care for them will spread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is very nice & absolutely fitting! I know many people don't like to buy the pet store bettas, but it sure makes a difference to the ones I brought home;)))

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you I buy locally because currently I can't afford to have them shipped and seems like I am subjecting the betta to another sort of stress to to ship them anyway.
I try to focus on providing a good home for those I have and help those I can't keep whenever I can. Going on facebook for the particular store and noting the conditions can sometimes get a response. I posted on Jack's page about some objectionable conditions I saw for all the fish in two stores. The conditions have been changed and the manager changed in one store who is very experienced with fish care. It took about two or three months for the changes to be completed. We can't save them all but we can do something to help out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts