Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a LOT of really stupid, inappropriate, or just downright cruel fish tanks out there... And most of them seem aimed at bettas!

I thought it'd be interesting to have a thread for 'em all.

My #1 Stupid Fish Tank is the 'betta bow" - it's not the most outrageous of designs, but for the love of Mike! Can it get any smaller? People who put bettas in these because they think this is awesome, or who sell them to first-time betta owners need to be mechanically compacted and stuffed in one.

·
Registered
531 Posts
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811522&lmdn=Price

This tank is a lot like the one Maisy posted, but when I read the first review I actually facepalmed myself. This person said, and I quote:

"I got this and absolutely loved it I first got it and put two male bettas in it. they both died because of some disease that grows on their fins. when they died i put two fancy guppies, one white cloud danio, and a ghost shrimp in their, (fyi that one gallon for every fish is totally bogus) im turning it into a community tank and looking to add two or three more small fish in their."

WHAT !?!?!?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Silly fish bowl companies, thats not what a nano tank means!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you guys want to see any cruel fish tanks, just walk by where they sell the bettas. It is really stupid that they sell really small containers by them. People then think those containers are suitable, funny how the brain works.

I hope that these are eventually banned or something.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I though I'd add these to the horrible betta home list:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UGGGGH. They were selling those nasty bowls with the lights at a pet store I visited recently. Daughter and I made loud, derisive sounds. As you do.

Kfryman, those idiotic heart shaped ones? Wanna buy some slow, toxic DEATH for your sweetheart on V-day? urgh...

Starbetta, here's an article about those warped iPond things. The pet store manager? Yeah, there's a gem of a human being:
iPond is a tiny fish tank with a speaker built into the bottom for enjoying iPod music while watching a fish being leisurely bored to death. The iPond is causing huge controversy in Australia because of its particularly small size according to the Sydney Morning Herald (link). Pets Paradise is selling Siamese fighting fish with each iPond (view to a kill) aquatic chamber of despair. "I'm claustrophobic myself, said Callie Beardsley manager of Pets R Pets stores, "I sat sobbing as I stared at my iPond the entire time I listened to Andrea Bocelli singing "Con te partiro". I felt so bad for that little fishy fish, but the tank is too cute."
One store in Sydney has reported selling out of the $70 device while other outlets are reporting brisk sales of the iPond. There is no way to be sure if the iPond is as harmful to fish as experts are making it out to be, but it has certainly agitated a lot of cheerless activists in Sydney, which may ultimately be worth it after all.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
any tank can be a bad tank, imo. even someone with a 20 gallon, once over stocked and never cleaned, can be a bad tank.

but.. yeah. most betta tanks are horrid.

i DO have a one-gallon 'betta bowl'. but, it just has one betta. is cleaned twice a week. and stays in a warm room. Stephano is quite happy in it, constantly moving, never clamped. happy boy. :B

·
Registered
156 Posts
& here I felt bad that for the 1st 4hrs while I set up and conditioned my 12Gal tank, I had Fin in a 1.25Gal fish bowl!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I'll be honest, starting out on bettas I've had a few of those stupid tanks. And knowing what I now know about bettas and caring for them. I've prayed for forgiveness from those fish and my higher up.
But I've since turned my ways :)

On a side note, how about those poor goldies!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was about 10 or so, I saw something similar on an interior decorating tv show. I thought it was SO cool. I never got one of those wall tanks thank goodness but it did spark my love of bettas.

I did start with a unheated one gallon that I only cleaned when the water got gross. That poor, poor fish. I didn't know better at the time though, thanks, in part, to the pet store employees and that tv show...

I've learned a lot since then.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'll be honest, starting out on bettas I've had a few of those stupid tanks. And knowing what I now know about bettas and caring for them. I've prayed for forgiveness from those fish and my higher up.
But I've since turned my ways :)

On a side note, how about those poor goldies!!!
No kidding. Both beautiful fish always seem to get the short end of the stick. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me "goldfish don't live long" I would be a rich woman. Of course they don't live long in cramped spaces with poor nutrition and practically no water changes. You wouldn't live long in a prison cell with no waste removal and living on broth.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
No kidding. Both beautiful fish always seem to get the short end of the stick. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me "goldfish don't live long" I would be a rich woman. Of course they don't live long in cramped spaces with poor nutrition and practically no water changes. You wouldn't live long in a prison cell with no waste removal and living on broth.
That reminds me of the PetsSuperMarket employee who told me that if a betta was put into a home bigger than 5 gallons he'd go into a corner, freak out and die from stress.
I made the comparison of him moving from a dinky motel to a huge apartment with hardwood flooring. Told him he wouldn't go into a corner freak out and die from stress, he'd possibly be doing the sock slide across the hallway floor. He didn't say another word.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts