Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
short story...friend dont want the fish anymore and gave it to me...he was in a .5g tank no heater :roll:

anyway...yeah...he in a pretty bad shape guys i dont think he's gonna make it...i bought a 1g tank(its all i can for now) and heater...he's really thin and sluggish...not active at all and he doesnt even flare...im not sure if he's sick or not and how i should treat him :-?

i have him for a day now so far he's not interested in eating or swimming or anything...just hanging out around the surface...he didnt move much at all :-(

picture when i first got him

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can someone tell me if he is sick or not? he got the silver scale around his gills...im not sure if that is something to be alert about

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
He looks a bit thin, but if he won't eat, there's not much you can do about that. He doesn't look like he has ich or anything like that. All I can say is keep him warm and clean. You might try a little AQ salt, when I've had bettas that weren't quite right, it has worked for me.
Maybe someone else will come on and help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
He does look a little malnourished. I agree with keeping him warm, I'd also keep him somewhere dark and quiet with little disturbance. Maybe try tempting him with frozen or live foods? Any idea as to how your friend fed him? Maybe he's used to a different food, if she fed him at all. Any other worrying signs? Is he pooping, if so what color? Looks like he'd be such a pretty boy once given proper care!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Poor little guy. He looks very pretty. Hope he pulls through

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
im keeping him at 80 degree...im afraid to he mite die so i keep checking on him...i will leave him alone if is better for him

she gave him flakes but she said he doesnt really eat much...i tried feeding him everything i have...he show some interested in freeze dried brineshimps but he spit it out right away

he's also a tail biter it seem...his tail have weird edges

oh and no poop yet

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hope he pulls through! He looks like he would be a very pretty guy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
He doesn't look like he has any visible signs of illness or parasites. He's probably very stressed, and definitely thin. I would keep trying to feed him; he may not eat right now because of stress, but hopefully the clean, warm water will help perk him up. I second the suggestion about keeping things as dark and quiet as possible for him. If you have any India Almond Leaf, it can work wonders for fish that are stressed out and scared. If you don't have IAL, you could use some decaf green tea to darken the water.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Do you have any frozen food? I would suggest trying offering frozen blood worms tomorrow. If you just got him today he probably needs at least tonight to settle in. I have seen only sick fish turn down frozen blood worms.

Wishing good thoughts!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got him yesterday evening

i never feed frozen food...and pretty much dont know how it work...im going to the store tonite to get some different food and medication for him...how do i feed frozen bloodworms? do i let it thaw out and then feed it?

i just put him in a dark and quiet place...not sure how the green tea work...do i just put a bag of green tea in his tank? just like that?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There are a couple of different methods to get the green tea extract. When I made it, I would fill my water change bucket the day before a water change, then I'd condition as usual, and then I would let the tea bag steep overnight. The next day I'd discard the old tea bag and do my water change.

Since your guy is already set up and you don't want stress him by giving him another water change so soon, I think you could probably just steep the tea bag directly in his tank for a few hours, until the water gets darker.

Just make sure you get decaf green tea that doesn't have any other ingredients added to it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If he pulls through I can already tell he'll be VERY beautiful. Maybe you should stick a pellet or bloodworm with your finger in the water and wiggle it around? Maybe he'll get a bit of interest.

·
Registered
462 Posts
To feed frozen bloodworms, wear gloves as some people have allergic reactions. I just break off a tiny piece (careful not to overfeed!) of the block they're frozen in and drop it into the tank. It melts almost instantly, and all my fish devour it in seconds. It's so cute! You can feed these once or twice a week as a meal replacement. I'd be surprised if your guy didn't go after them. :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I go about feeding frozen foods in a lightly different manner, of course having 11 fish makes a big difference. I have a small container/dish just a small piece of plastic I've thouroughly washed and rinsed. A spoon, and an eyedropper. I break/cut off a small piece of the frozen food, at a spoonful (or more, depending on the size of the piece). I let it sit for a minute, then use the eyedropper to feed the frozen bloodworms. Both boys and girls attack the eyedropper and are quite happy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you so much for the support guys and girls

i left him in the dark for 5 hours now...he seem to be swimming around a little when i check on him just now...i went to the store and got some Hikari bloodworms for him to try tomorrow

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If he pulls through I can already tell he'll be VERY beautiful. Maybe you should stick a pellet or bloodworm with your finger in the water and wiggle it around? Maybe he'll get a bit of interest.
lol ive try all that but nothing work...im going to try frozen bloodworm tomorrow to see if he would go for it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi people...just wanna update about the fish and ask a question also

he still alive and acting like a normal fish now...but is very difficult to get him to eat..he only go for the food that is sinking...he would eat the pellets if i soak it up real good...like...get it super soft...and i am aware that the nutrient from the pellet dissolved as soon as it hit the water...so i've been feeding him about 3 pellets, 3 times per day(9-10 pellets total) ...is this a good idea? i dont want to over feed him but i also dont want him to be malnutrition

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Aww Im so glad he is doing better. About your question I would only do about six pellets total, but maybe someone else has a different opinnion

1 - 20 of 37 Posts