Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, welcome to my journal, dedicated to the development of my 10 gallon (soon to be planted) aquarium. The aquarium will be a home for one Betta (bred by me) with tank mates I still have yet to decide. The two Endlers in there were from awhile ago, and I had no where to place them, they will be leaving this tank.

Tank: Standard 10 gallon
Heater: Fluval M Heater
Filter: HOB Aqueon 20 (I've baffled the filter with aquarium floss)
Lighting: Finnex Stingray 20 Inch
Substrate: Mix of Aqua Soil and Flourite
Decor: Driftwood
Plants: Java Fern, Anubias (unsure which type, but I think the small one is Anunias Nana?)

I've redone the plants on the two pieces of wood, and trimmed their roots. I will be posting more later, stay tuned, and thank you for joining me!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The tank isn't cloudy anymore. Not much has been changed besides rearrangement of the plants on the wood. I still have to find the intake tube for that filter though! Ugh! Does anyone have any suggestions that you've used? Thanks!

A local aquarium club (Sacramento Aquarium Society) is hosting a auction. I will be attending it to (hopefully) buy some more plants and maybe even some fish! If you are in the area please feel free to join me! Non-members are able to participate in bidding! Let me know if you would like more information about it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The auction didn't turn out to well. Not as many plants as I thought there would be this time... I left with nothing, oh well.

I did just buy one bunch of Rotala at a new pet store, maybe my most favorite one in town so far :)... Unsure of which species the Rotala I purchase is, maybe Rotundifolia? I'll post pictures tomorrow.

The new fish stores new shipment of fish and plants comes in Wednesday afternoon I believe, and they will be carrying my favorite aquatic plant! Staurogyne Repens!!! I've personally never had the plant but I've finally gotten a proper lighting system and I'm totally ready for this plant! I've always dreamed of having and I just love the look of it!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh! Algae! My light is on to long, or the sun coming from the window is just shining into my room... I'll have to deal with it. I need to re-trim my Rotala only because I didn't correctly trim enough. Lol! I'll be posting pictures later today after the water change.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did a water change yesterday and destroyed his bubblenest... And he built another one! Again! Lol! This little guy is silly! To bad I unfortunately haven't seen him in the process of making one! Anyways, here is his 3rd one in one week? Lol.

The water in this tank evaporates quickly :serious: pretty annoying... But here is an update photo as promised:

Also, I think I may just update more about ALL my tanks and not just this one. Maybe I'll focus on this tank specifically(?) I don't know. But I just got a 29 gallon Bow Front for free and a 5 Gallon for free as well! I have a 40 breeder lying around as well... I want so bad to set them up but I have no room!!!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just purchased Mayaca Fluviatilis the other day. It looks great. I have to seperate it among the whole tank though. Maybe I'll take out the driftwood pieces too(?) what do you think? It just looks way to big.

Also, I knew this would happen! I'd slack on updates! Ugh. Okay, I promise I will return with photos tomorrow of the tank and how it's going.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Omg I laughed way too hard at your post about the algae. I just did the exact same thing in my journal update...

Also how did I miss this journal springing up?

Love how your 10 gallon is looking at moment. I fail at actually planning planted tanks. I just end up plopping the plants wherever and hoping for the best and that they grow and stuff lol. Blue boy is a pretty boy.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omg I laughed way too hard at your post about the algae. I just did the exact same thing in my journal update...

Also how did I miss this journal springing up?

Love how your 10 gallon is looking at moment. I fail at actually planning planted tanks. I just end up plopping the plants wherever and hoping for the best and that they grow and stuff lol. Blue boy is a pretty boy.
Yeah. The algae is annoying!!! I fortunately scrubbed it out this morning before leaving the house... But I left the fish light on do I expect there to be more when I come back :crying:

Lol, thank you Feng! I actually attempted to aquascape this tank, but I don't have those planting tweezers so it's VERY DIFFICULT to plant the stem plants!!! I've tried using regular tweezers but they're just wayyyy to tiny! I just plopped in the Mayaca and although I'm annoyed with how it's placed so far, I'll eventually spread it evenly among the tank. I also am considering on taking the 2 pieces of driftwood, it's just way to big!

Update Photo:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, the Java Fern tied to the driftwood was gaining a lot of algae, so I just set it in another cycling tank. But I did a trimming for the Rotala Rotundifolia! These things grow fast! Here are photos :)

After I trimmed the Rotala:

Rotala Clippings:

I thought a few clippings like these were cool. The actual Rotala it came from was leaning so when it shot out new stems they started growing towards the light. :-D

Final product after I decided to take out that big driftwood piece. I think I'm just going to let the Rotala and Mayaca grow in and get some more plants. I really love that driftwood piece but it just doesn't fit to well in this tank.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update! The plants are doing absolutely great! The Mayaca is doing so well it's pearling!!! :surprise:

And the Rotala clipping I planted already started sprouting on the top! It looks really cool. :nerd:

Here are 2 photos of the plants (with a curious Endler):

1 - 14 of 14 Posts