Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be a cool thread to read but BF doesn't have one. I'm gonna fix that. Post your worst aquarium mistake here! Don't judge anyone's mistake!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Well the most notable that comes to mind was my first Betta that I purchased myself and Doctor Who fan's will get the irony of this. He was a solid red CT, beautiful young boy that I named Gallifrey and well I had him for a week and Saturday came, time for his very first water change!

Well, the water felt nice and warm to me! I conditioned it, let it sit for about fifteen minutes and noticed the temp wasn't reading on the thermometer, I checked it with my hands, still felt warm. So I figured "Eh, why not" and I netted Gallifrey and put him in, he instantly flared up and stopped moving. I freaked out and scooped him back up and into his other bowl but it didn't save him.

The water ended up being a good 110-115 degree's....whoops! I learned from it though! So...Gallifrey burned...

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
I have made about three serious mistakes that I still regret to this day.

First mistake, I didn't quarantine and shared equipment between tanks thus leading to an outbreak of velvet that about a year on I am still seeing the ramifications of. I have had to euthanise a lot of valuable fish because of my own stupidity.

Second mistake was that I didn't use cling wrap to cover the tanks of my wild bettas, and I lost probably more than a dozen fish (some were juveniles so they committed suicide en masse) because of it. I lost my first ever pair of Betta persephone because they jumped and to say I was devastated would have been an understatement.

Third mistake is that I wasted so much money on fish, equipment etc. that in a few months time I wouldn't need or would be bored with and it would invariably end up sold or given away. I don't even want to think about how much money I have basically thrown away on this hobby.I wish I'd set up a plan a year earlier and only purchased what I needed rather than impulse buy.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I was doing a water change and filling a 5g bucket up with water. The phone rings and its an old friend. Talking away when I suddenly realize 5 minutes later the water was running. You would not believe how much water can flood a kitchen in 5 minutes. The whole family was angry and what a mess.

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
Over the years:
Ran a few tanks dry.
Ran a tanks over.
Blew up a few heaters.
Went 28 days with off power, with 4000 gallon of water and no back-up generator.(Fix that)
Had one tank blow out and fire, but that wasn't my fault.

R

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
Letting the water level get low on one of my kritter keepers which caused my heater to heat the water up high enough to kill one of my bettas.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Overfed my old betta - one teaspoonful of fish flakes per meal because he looked "hungry"
WC without water conditioner or letting water sit 24hrs
Didn't quarantine plants etc
Dropped Hiko behind the TV stand while trying to transfer him
Transferred Lark from plastic bag - he got stuck in the plastic bag after all the water got poured in his tank

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a pair if bettas w.my husband at the local store(another reason i will not go back but that is another story there) and a divided tank. Got home and the tank leaked on both sides so i thought it would be ok in a wine glass till we were able to go to walmart the next morning( yes we have a normal walmart that closes at 10pm). Well the next morning one jumped out and was on the floor. At the time idk they jumped and were in open jars at the store so o just assumed it would be ok. We got a new tank for the other to have him die the following day. When we got them they looked little sick and we went back to the pet store and all the betta were gone something in water but nothing done right back the tank and the one betta( one who didn't Jump). I didn't get another betta for 3yrs and now i hope to do everything right.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
mine was not scrapping one of my heaters after it cooked the first victim. my betta was on its last fins,I put him in a qt tank and raised the temp. it cooked him to end his life. I tested the heater son after and it passed the test on low range.

only the fact it worked well to a certain adjustment. fast forward to Zaku Cambodian round tail. his 1g QT was 26c so I bumped it up a bit to hit 28c. the darn heater decided to overheat again. was totally unaware of it until I got back. some dirt/obstruction???? made the heater over heat after passing a certain adjustment. worst part was heater worked on the low adjustment range but overheated after it passed a certain setting. I cut the darn cable after to scrap that broken heater.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Mine was probably accidentally killing three of my most valuable females with food safe cups that obviously leeched something into the water.

Not being careful enough with cross contamination was also a mistake, but luckily i realized I had to change my habits before anything really bad happened.

·
Registered
993 Posts
when i was 9 or so, i put a green terror, a red jewel,a dwarf puffer and an oranda together.still feel horrible about that.the green terror is all that survived.the name was apt.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh man... I guess we all make mistakes but I still can't help beating myself up whenever it happens. At least I have most definitely learned from these mistakes and take great care not to repeat them!
I think the two worst ones were during water changes. Finals week this semester was crazy, everything was rescheduled multiple times because of the ice, along with the usual stress of finals, and I was definitely not at my best. I was doing a water change for Penelope and poured the water in without realizing I hadn't conditioned it. I realized it about twenty seconds later, nearly had a heart attack, and scared the crap out of my roommate as I screamed and lunged for the water conditioner.
Last weekend I was doing a change on Alphie's water, usually I don't take the fish in larger tanks out during water changes and so I left him in his tank. For whatever reason Alphie really dislikes water changes, and unlike the others, who generally stay away from my hands (except Penelope, who likes to circle and stalk my fingers), he usually freaks out a little and swims everywhere. I was putting his plants back, and usually I drive them pretty hard into the gravel, and then scoop some more over the base to keep it in place. I did this for the last one, put the lid back on. Thirty seconds later I look in the tank and think huh, where's Alphie? I start to panic a little, then finally see his big red tail, then the back half of his body- sticking out from underneath the plant. I'm still not totally sure what happened, I think he just got underneath me, I didn't see and then he was trapped by the gravel. I honestly thought I had killed him, but a few hours later he was swimming around and chasing and flaring at his neighbor once again. Needless to say I now take Alphie out of his tank when doing water changes, though he absolutely hates it and gets all pale and stripey. Now whenever I put him back in after a water change, he swims away and hides behind a plant whenever I come near. He gets over it eventually, and it's for his own good, but I still feel bad. I can't believe I traumatized my fish...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
During a difficult time not keeping up with water changes, only feeding. When I got home I had a strange feeling, turned on the light and the fish was on the bottom, couldn't hold himself up properly, couldn't swim properly or very high off the ground. I took him out and put him in a bowl with clean water and cleaned his tank. Luckily I got him out quick enough and he perked up with the clean water. Lesson learned the hard way

·
Registered
178 Posts
Didn't properly cycle a tank and killed my African Clawed Frog :( Putting a nasty diamond tetra with my Cory Cats...they got their fins bitten a bit. The worst though was definitely the ACF death.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i took pity on my brothers massive catfish,and put my fantail
goldfish in to keep him company….i was only 10/11
i came back downstairs and goldie was gone……confused was i……wondered why
catfishes belly was wiggling…….oh dear……and my brother laughed at me. !
grown up years later……and….
picked up a corydora with my bare hands….sheesh they're prickly !!
forgot water conditioner.
burnt my hand on the heater.
burnt my arm on the lights.
drank poopie tank water.
:-D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
0_o Poopie tank water :shock:

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let's see. I think my worse is
A. Not having a heater for my betta when I first bought her. It was summer, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been.
B. Forgot water conditioner. I only did this once. I was obviously not with it that day, and I went over to see my fish not swimming around, clamped fins, stress stripes, and puffed up a bit. I was like, "What's wrong with this fish." *thinks about it* OH MY GOSH! *throws water conditioner in the tank*

I also have spent way to much money buying things I didn't know were bad for a betta. The plastic plants when I first got her, a 3 gallon glass fish bowl (I just bought a 5G tank), etc.

Hopefully I won't make any lethal mistakes for my fishy. :/ I luffs her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts