Betta Fish Forum banner

What is this fish, really?

• It's definitely a boy.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No question, it's a girl.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It might be a guppy...

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • It's cute. what else do you need to know?

Votes: 18 75.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I'm wondering how they got close enough to 'know' this one was a boy. :-D After pulling six dead adult bettas and a half-dozen nearly dead ones to show to the manager, I was feeling soft-hearted. So here's my new boy/girl. At least she doesn't have to try to eat the bloodworms they were feeding her anymore... *facepalm*

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
so cute!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Awwww! The only thing that would make them cuter is tiny binkis. Maybe he had a blue one! That must be how they know lol.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awwww! The only thing that would make them cuter is tiny binkis. Maybe he had a blue one! That must be how they know lol.

Ha! When s/he let's me know, I'll pick out some pink or blue shorts... :lol:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
there is no way to tell the gender of a fish THAT young, it doesn't even have color pigments yet. well thats what i think

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love baby bettas! They may be a pain to take care of, but watching them grow up is really cool.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Isn't that baby like a few weeks old?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't that baby like a few weeks old?
I know...ridiculously young, isn't it? That's why I had to laugh when the guy at Petco said it was definitely a male. And the were feeding the babies bloodworms bigger than their heads!
Luckily, I happened to have some cultures of microworms(very popular!) and bbs, as well as Hikari First Bites, and some micro pellets. So far, so good, but of anyone has other suggestions, I'd appreciate any extra help!:-D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no way to tell the gender of a fish THAT young, it doesn't even have color pigments yet. well thats what i think
I totally agree, Betta lover...I don't even know why they're selling them this young. They must know 90% of them will meet an untimely demise at the hands of people who don't even know whEre to look for info on raising these tiny tykes.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
It looks like it still has an egg yolk. Hm...I still have Hikari First Bites. I never knew betta fry would eat it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will eat the first bites, but it seems to prefer the microworms over other foods right now, so I'll keep up with those

·
Registered
441 Posts
dawwwww.. dumb pet store people... they told me Sparta was a female..... errrr, no he's not, he's from Thailand, trust me, he's a male! "Oh no! It's a girl! See how it doesn't flare bery big!!!"

Yeah right....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
OMG That baby must be what...3weeks old?"its definitely a boy?" and that employee was "definitely talking..."

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's doing really well, whatever the age. I'm still giving it microworms and have started it on micropellets, which it does seem to eat. It was eating Hikari First Bites as well, but I want to make sure it gets enough protein and variety. So far, so good!
:-D

·
Registered
608 Posts
1.) I admire you and anyone else who complains and points out dead or nearly dead bettas to store employers or managers. I am pretty shy and hate complaining but you guys give me the inspiration to try to muster up some balls and do the same thing.

2.) My Petco had between 10 and 15 baby bettas the other day. I won't even go into my confusion as to why they already stock so many adult bettas at one time since they just freaking sit there for months. But who buys baby bettas from a Petco or Petsmart, and why? Is it because you like the surprise of seing what it will be?

3.) how do you take care of a tiny baby betta?

4.) Why do you think Petco stocks so many baby bettas?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would say its a male, because the way how the back is shape on the dorsal there's more hump than a female or sometimes the you'll see the horizontal lines forming on the females. I'm guessing he looks like somewhere almost around 2months?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Mursey- our Petco has close to 50 baby bettas at a time, all stacked in piles...it's sad, really. My friend has one as well, though it looks to be a bit older as it has marbled coloring showing as well as hints of being a crowntail. With some of the advice gleaned off this site, I'm feeding a few different foods, both live and processed, and it seems to be doing well. As for pointing out dead fish at the store, I usually try to be polite, yet stick to my point when I show them the dirty water and diseased fish.

@Junglist- heh. Your guess is probably better than mine. It's about 3/4th of an inch, maybe a wee bit more. no color yet. Hopefully some home-cooking will encourage it to grow. And it would be my luck to get another boy. The last two females I bought turned out to be juvenile males...ah, nature. Six boys and counting...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was so mad at the petco I went to .. I got directly to the petco company.. not an employee or manager.. and they wrote me back and since that time every time I have went in the water was cleaner and the sick fish were qt( because they were trying to sell them as healthy before!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was so mad at the petco I went to .. I got directly to the petco company.. not an employee or manager.. and they wrote me back and since that time every time I have went in the water was cleaner and the sick fish were qt( because they were trying to sell them as healthy before!) The first visit nearly over half were sick or dead and then now only a few..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts