Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am a beginning Betta keeper. I have a halfmoon male betta whom is for now, being kept in a one gallon unfiltered bowl. There is a thick film on the water top. So bad it can be difficult for him too grab his food from the surface. I have never seen this before, I have kept Betta in the past as well as some guppies and african dwarf frogs. Can anyone help me? The water conditioner I am using was frozen over the winter and I thawed it before putting it in the tank. Could this be the problem? Maybe I need to purchase a new conditioner? I break up the film every two days and scoop it out with a net. It's slimy and a snot like consistency. Can also take some pictures if that will help. He acts happy and swims around and eats just fine. I Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
film is normal but you should never freeze conditioner. Please get a new conditioner. I recommend Seachem Prime since it can help detoxify ammonia.

make sure that you have a heater in that tank and make sure you are doing daily water changes since you have a 1 gallon tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heater I purchased doesn't work, so I put a reptile heater under the bowl until I get my refund and can purchase a new heater. His temp is at 74 right now. I do a 50% water change twice a week. Should I be doing a water change daily? I want my fish to be healthy. Why I joined this forum hoping for real information. I get a lot of different answers searching the web and it can be confusing and over whelming. Is one gallon okay for now? I plan to upgrade too a 2.75 gallon in the future. I have no live plants but will be purchasing 6 marimo moss balls to help keep his bowl clean. Thank you for your fast reply. I will go buy new conditioner tomorrow!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
a 1 gallon is fine for now since you do have plans to upgrade.

Yes, you need to be doing daily water changes until you upgrade.

74 is a bit cold. I wouldn't use a reptile heater since it does not heat the water evenly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like VivianKJean said, the film is normal. If you want to get rid of it or lessen it, having a filter with a little more water circulation can help with that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I know the reptile heater is a poor choice, but once I get my refund for the defective heater I bought he will be getting a new one. Okay daily water changes it is ;) Just wanted to make sure the film wasn't harmful or anything. It sure is ugly lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts