Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over christmas break I will be going to my local petsmart to upgrade my youngest betta of my two. He is currently in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank. I am upgrading him to a 2.5 gallon filtered planted tank. Anyway I am thinking of getting a betta fish fry while I am there. What is the best way to care for one? I have cared for older betta's before, and want to try my hand at baby betta's now. :-D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Well first, I don't think Petsmart sells the babies. I might be wrong, but I have only seen the babies at Petco.

I would suggest making both tanks planted, at least to some level. I am going to assume that you already have a heater for the smaller tank. That is an absolute must with these tiny babies. Some people can get away with not having heaters for adult bettas for a while before something gets them, but a baby just won't have a chance without a heater.

The plants will help keep the water quality better, which is the second essential thing. They will have a harder time with poor water quality, so if you don't already have a test kit, I would suggest getting one so you can watch the quality closely.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I will try my hardest to let my mom let me buy a heater for the baby. What kind of plant do you think would do best in a one gallon? Here's an idea of what my one gallon currently looks like:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Babies have special needs and are hard to keep alive I would instead get a young Betta but not a baby which you could lose and break your heart. Look for a young healthy active Betta and you will both be happier !

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I'm sure I can find some fine gravel, hopefully, if there is any left over from upgrading my betta's tank. I am relaying on christmas money and I hope to get 80-85 dollars in order to upgrade his tank. I'll need $75 for the tank kit, plants, substrait, and decor. So if there is any left over money I'll buy some fine gravel to put in there as well as the fish if I have any money left over.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
to save money I have a suggestion for you ;)

do this. goto the pet store and buy a batch of water wisteria/ anacharis(elodea) . let it float in your 1 gallon.

place tank in bright spot, with natural light but minimal temperature fluctuations.

by Christmas u should have enough to plant another tank.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a good idea. Unfortunately I cannot go to the pet store before Christmas because I am much too busy right now with school. If I can find the time and money to do it I will. This is why I can't go any earlier because I will not have the money till then.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Aw XD I'm busy with school too :) but I guess in this city transportation is pretty convenient, and there are also a lot of pet shops around :) if ypu are up for it, you can always order online and have them sent right to your door ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.