Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved dragon-scaled bettas but avoided them due to their health problems (diamond eye)
But recently I've kind of started thinking of getting one...eventually.

there were just a few questions I had though...

Is there a way to prevent diamond eye?
Is there a way to tell if the fish will get it?
Do they only come as back or red?
Do they only come as PKs?

·
Super Moderator
18,363 Posts
Look for Betta with clear eyes. You can usually tell at an early age if a Betta is going to develop eye problems. I've had probably 20+ Dragonscale Betta and nary a one has developed Diamond/Dragon Eye. If you can find a breeder so you can observe the parents and/or previous generations that's your best. Also, most of the DS I've seen have been imported; can't remember anyone who bought a pet store Betta reporting Diamond/Dragon Eye. And any Dragonscale can develop Diamond/Dragon Eye: PK, HM, OHM, FT, etc.

I've seen a lot of threads/posts where people believe or are told their Betta is afflicted and on closer examination that's not been the case so I wonder how prevalent it is in actuality?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
No you can't really prevent diamond eye, it's genetic, but pick one with perfectly clear eyes, preferably a little older(6months when all the scales have thickened up) by then you can see if they will be more likely to have it because the eyes will be cloudy in one spot or another.

Dragons come in black, red, orange,yellow and fancy. Unless you count the metallic "dragons" then the scales won't be white, personally I call them dragons because of the heavy scales and had a stunning green Blue and black marble dragon ^^ I've even seen some black and red butterfly dragons mislabeled on eBay

I'm seeing more long finned dragons but the pks usually have more defined color edges which is why my breeding project is starting with them. I didn't like the way the colors bled together on the long finned ones so I changed my plan a little.

Dragons can also be More susceptible to tumors, due to the pigment pile-up in the scales, just like melanoma in humans. It starts with the pigment and something goes wrong inside the cell ( I just found out about this watching an interview with an ibc judge)

I have 7 dragons, 6 red and one girl that looks to be non-red (blonde gene) orange I'm waiting to see if her color darkens up or stays orange ^^ because I was going to add the non red to a second line later on any way

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've kept dragons for several years now, not once have I had diamond eyes. Most of my dragons are not full dragons because I regularly cross them to non dragons. My theory is that not carrying too much dragon genes will avoid this blindness. However, from time to time, I do get tumors at a later age. I don't think it's genetic because their fry more often do not develop it. IMO it is more related to some sort of bacteria (not sure).

I agree - if you can't ask about their genetic background, just look for one that has clear eyes. I'm sure the breeder would try to avoid it establishing in his/her lines.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've kept dragons for several years now, not once have I had diamond eyes. Most of my dragons are not full dragons because I regularly cross them to non dragons. My theory is that not carrying too much dragon genes will avoid this blindness. However, from time to time, I do get tumors at a later age. I don't think it's genetic because their fry more often do not develop it. IMO it is more related to some sort of bacteria (not sure).

I agree - if you can't ask about their genetic background, just look for one that has clear eyes. I'm sure the breeder would try to avoid it establishing in his/her lines.
Most breeders do avoid diamond eye, but there's atleast one on eBay that sells them as something rare... I even got nasty back lash for asking why they don't inform customers about the bettas possibly going blind. Others just don't know and think it's something minor. In my opinion diamond eye would be a cull, unless I sold them to someone who willingly wanted a blind fish and knew how to care for them to give them the best quality of life

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I guess there are all sorts of people out there. I wonder if they really understand what they are doing. . . . I mean, how on earth is diamond eye a good thing that's rare. Perhaps the rate part is correct - they (IMO) need extra dragon genes. But how is blindness a good thing?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I have two true DS currently (white body, thick scales, colored fins, etc) and one metallic that I just call dragon scale (blue body thicker scales, red fins, when I got him he had a white face). Only my metallic has diamond eye. My other two are so far so good, Tadashi is older as well, Misha is 3 years old currently.

·
Super Moderator
18,363 Posts
The sellers I've seen on eBay who brag about Diamond Eye are not breeders; they are importers. If you buy from an importer you roll the dice and take your chances. Bet I can name the person MysticSky got into a brouhaha with. ;-)

IMO, if at all possible seek out a breeder.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Try to avoid eBay and even Aquabid if you're looking for dragons with good genetics. Every single dragon I've seen in the last few weeks with the exception of the one I bought recently had signs of diamond eye. My guy's siblings all had diamond eye so I'm pretty sure he'll get it eventually too, but I don't plan on breeding him so I don't care.

I also purchased a Platinum PK (my avatar), and you couldn't see his diamond eye in the pictures, but his left eye has a bit of scaling over it.

I agree with Russell, if possible, try to find a breeder that knows what they're doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts