Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So a couple weeks ago I was at petsmart and was witness to one of the saddest sights I've ever seen. There was one male betta who looked rather ill. His coloring was dull and he had moderate fin rot. He sat at the bottom of the cup but was very curious as to what was going on around him. My boyfriend basically had to pull me away from him. I wanted to rescue him so bad but I just did not have the supplies to care for him.

Sooo after some serious thought and some scrounging for cash, I've decided that I want to go to petsmart soon and rescue a betta! I'm not sure when. Ideally I'd like to upgrade my current betta's tank to a 5 gallon, so probably sometime after I do that.

I have a hospital tank, melafix, and pimafix. I also have AQ salt but I'm running low so I'll have to buy more. I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for any other supplies/meds I might need? I know it depends on the betta, but I figured I should become more informed of meds to use and things like that. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I would start with lots of clean, warm water and quality food.

Clean, warm water and good food are often all that's needed to clear up many health issues. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
NOOOOOOO melafix or pimafix i used it on my betta gamma before i knew and it almost killed him use AQ salt, stress coat+, IAL ( indian almond leaf) and seachem prime and make sure you have a heater and thermometer and keep the temp at 78*- 80* and how big is the hopsital tank?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I agree with the above posts, meds should be a last resort. AQ salt, Indian Almond Leaves, and nice warm, clean water usually does wonders. Some illnesses require different temps to treat them effectively, so an adjustable heater is a great tool. I'd also recommend getting some Epsom salt, as that will help with swim bladder issues and digestive problems. It's also perfectly safe to use over long periods, which can't be said for most treatments. Good luck with your rescue, but be warned: once you start, it's hard to stop!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I agree with the above posts, meds should be a last resort. AQ salt, Indian Almond Leaves, and nice warm, clean water usually does wonders. Some illnesses require different temps to treat them effectively, so an adjustable heater is a great tool. I'd also recommend getting some Epsom salt, as that will help with swim bladder issues and digestive problems. It's also perfectly safe to use over long periods, which can't be said for most treatments. Good luck with your rescue, but be warned: once you start, it's hard to stop!

1+ I forgot about the Epsom salt but I will never use mela betta or pimafix again now that I know I got a ton if Indian almond leaf for my fish so let me know if you Need a few leaf I could send them cheap if you decide to rescue and thanks for thinking about rescuing I tryed once but the petco last was a jerk and told me she couldent sell me a sick fish and I told her if she knew what was wroung with it and she said I don't know and I said then how are you going to treat it and I said oh but the way it SBD and she said oh yeah it kinda looks like that just goes to show that some petshop people are idiots and some are great

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOOOOOOO melafix or pimafix i used it on my betta gamma before i knew and it almost killed him use AQ salt, stress coat+, IAL ( indian almond leaf) and seachem prime and make sure you have a heater and thermometer and keep the temp at 78*- 80* and how big is the hopsital tank?
Thank you for your input! I had no idea how bad melafix and pimafix could b for bettas :( I did some research and all of the review I saw were positive ones, but searching further through this site tells me otherwise :/ thank you for letting me know! Also, the hospital tank is a 1 gallon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm also new to betta care. So I have learnt the hard way. I've read many different approaches, but the most consistent has been IAL, AQSALT, and the use of a conditioner to remove heavy metals from portable/tape water and adding good/essential bacteria. By all means I'm no expert. My betta is now slowly recovering from fin rot, but still has a white spot above is mouth that has grown.

I've used pimafix which I didn't see a great sign of improvement while using it. I was also using aquasonic tropical water conditioner which apparently contains trace elements, fungal and bacterial inhibitors. I was also using API stress coat and API quick start to condition the water. Now that I think about it the API quick start was probably an over kill, hmmm.

Tried the salt bath, which stressed him out and wont be doing that again. I've been changing the water regularly, feeding hikari pellets and did do the occasional Black worms, which I think could have contributed to the fungus out break above his mouth. During this process in fighting the fin rot, he would make the occasional bubble nest. So I figured he must be happy/healthy, with that dam spot on his mouth :( Now I'm seeing great signs of vitality and bubble nest again. I'm now using IAL, AQSALT, and a new product I was recommended by a few betta breeders Aqua Master Sure Start. Mr Saddah my betta seems happy and the white spot looks as if it's dying off. I think it's the Indian almond leaf combined with the AQ salt that's doing the difference. Oh yeah the temperature has been pretty stable lately, which I've notice makes a huge difference. So much to learn as a beginner. I received my fist betta as a gift in late december and I have been battling with fin rot and a fungus out break from mid jan till now.

So from my understanding, Indian Almond leaf is used for it's tannins. The benefits are within the leafs tannins, maybe such as anti fungal properties due to it's acidity that is releases, god know what else it's good for. It smells alot like a fresh rolled up cigar, so you could probably smoke it to :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts